IGNORED

Rana 1000 Power Switch

robcatron

Hello all,

I know this is a stretch, but trying to save my second Rana 1000 drive.  I have owned two over my lifetime and both suffered (and my latest, suffers) from the same issue - the power switch is flimsy and over time, becomes loose, or worse, breaks off.

The original Rana I had I just solder the two solder points together (or maybe put a wire between the two) to make the power constant, but for this one, I'd like to replace the switch.

There is very little written on it.  I have attached a photo.   Most of these type of switches that I've found on the internet seem to have 3 or 4 solder points.  The Rana only has one (well, it looks like they probably just removed the far right one (facing the rear of the unit).  It is listed as a "C & K" on the rear.

Thanks for any help.  I'm sure I can rig up something.  

IMG_3857.jpg

IMG_3859.jpg

IMG_3858.jpg

standard slide switch, buy one that comes with 3 tabs and cut one off / pull or disassemble and remove -so it's the same. done.

or contact C&K directly and you may find they either have them somewhere or may apon inquiry... make a run to dump on the vendors

https://www.ckswitches.com/product-selection/slide/

Edited by _The Doctor__

That should be a common enough part easy to find... SPDT right angle switch..

Something like this, but have to figure out if the size matches:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223602310075

Right, as @_The Doctor__ mentioned, an SPDT switch would need 1 leg cut off, the original is actually an SPST switch, which would only have 2 legs to start with.

4 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

standard slide switch, buy one that comes with 3 tabs and cut one off / pull or disassemble and remove -so it's the same. done.

or contact C&K directly and you may find they either have them somewhere or may apon inquiry... make a run to dump on the vendors

https://www.ckswitches.com/product-selection/slide/

I sometimes don't read the whole thread myself... I thought that last post by Gavin seemed familiar almost as if I'd written it already

Edited by _The Doctor__

this would be a good find :)

as soon as i operated my RANAs i noticed the switch felt either cheap or 'badly aged'... at least they seem to work atm

update:

c&k have a site and it appears the switch is an 'L' series 101. here are the search results from their current models:

https://www.ckswitches.com/product-search/?Illumination=None&Type=Slide&Mounting_Type=Thru-hole%2C+Right+Angle&Circuit=SPST&Series=L

Edited by xrbrevin
research
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 10:21 PM, Nezgar said:

This should be a dead-on match at DigiKey, if you snip one pin: (102=SPDT instead of 101=SPST)

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/c-k/L102121ML04Q/L102121ML04Q-ND/3753572

image.png.bbbd170a5c83564615a518e34358fec6.png

Edit: oops, 0 stock, but it does say "Ship date estimate 12/17/2019"

Digikey does also list a SPST version for $2.54, STOCK: 21, STATUS: Can ship immediately

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/c-k/L101011ML04Q/CKN11874-ND/3753550

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 10:21 PM, Nezgar said:

This should be a dead-on match at DigiKey, if you snip one pin: (102=SPDT instead of 101=SPST)

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/c-k/L102121ML04Q/L102121ML04Q-ND/3753572

image.png.bbbd170a5c83564615a518e34358fec6.png

Edit: oops, 0 stock, but it does say "Ship date estimate 12/17/2019"

I checked the datasheet and it doesn't match the image shown. L102 does decode to SPDT but the 12 following decodes to very short actuator(0.065") with a screwdriver slot. Image below shows possible actuator options for this switch type.

Actuator-options.thumb.jpg.20c1b54ab031715e5cedb066cfada6d1.jpg

Edited by BillC

10 hours ago, BillC said:

Digikey does also list a SPST version for $2.54, STOCK: 21, STATUS: Can ship immediately

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/c-k/L101011ML04Q/CKN11874-ND/3753550

Well, definitely by the image, it is nearly spot on like you say.

I think for $2.54, I"ll take a chance.

Thank you!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robcatron said:

Well, definitely by the image, it is nearly spot on like you say.

I think for $2.54, I"ll take a chance.

Thank you!

The 5mm actuator(option 01 in image at bottom of message #11) may be shorter than the original, which is likely the 8.5mm actuator(option 02), but hopefully is acceptable.

On 9/14/2019 at 12:45 AM, BillC said:

The 5mm actuator(option 01 in image at bottom of message #11) may be shorter than the original, which is likely the 8.5mm actuator(option 02), but hopefully is acceptable.

Digikey ships fast!  It's funny, that little tiny switch was in a small pizza box size box, packed very nicely.

I can report back, that I installed the switch and it is a perfect match (at least it mates up and powers on!)

I actually like it better than the original.  The original was more difficult to turn on and off (I am assuming to make sure it doesn't accidentally get turned off while reading/writing.  The to me is why the switch eventually broke and became unsoldered.

The new one is much better.  I think it will last another 30+ years now, lol

Thanks again to all!

Rob

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't resist sharing this, as I figure you all will get a kick out of it.

This past week, I finally found my original Rana 1000 (the one that most recently had the switch broken discussed earlier was one I picked up later).

So the switch broke off on my original back in the 80s but with, shall we say, some rural Kentucky engineering, you can see my solution in the photos below.  It's a wonder I didn't burn our old farm house down back then, lol.  The wonders that one can do with a bread tie and solder...

What was interesting is that when I first fired it up this past week, it wouldn't read too well and was rotating slowly but, after she warmed up and after booting 5-10 disks, it is back in action and works like a charm.  Was just a little tired from lack of use.  So I ordered a second power switch from Digi-key to be here Monday.

Since I am reminiscing, I can remember wanting one of these drives so bad - the ads in Analog, Antic, etc - but it had to have been 6 months of delays before they finally shipped.  I just about gave up figuring it was never going to ship.  I drove my poor mom crazy.

I only had a 410 recorder at that point, and didn't want to buy a single density, bulky drive.  The Rana just was so compact.  I seem to remember, too that it was more affordable, perhaps $349 or $399 USD, can't remember exactly as I was in my mid teens. In KY we practically had to mail order everything.

But anyway, thought you all would enjoy these photos, have a great weekend

IMG_4012.jpg

IMG_4014.jpg

Edited by robcatron
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

remember to leave stubborn stuff on continuously for a couple days... it's the whole tire components firming and forming up thing...

we don't want the dreaded wow it works, ah it's dead the next time routine.

Exactly - this one eluded me after our move to our new home for the last couple of years.  It amazes me how resilient these old drives are. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, robcatron said:

What was interesting is that when I first fired it up this past week, it wouldn't read too well and was rotating slowly but, after she warmed up and after booting 5-10 disks, it is back in action and works like a charm.

I think the Rana 1000 mechanism uses a belt drive, so it could be 'loose' and slipping. A bit of use might have worn in the belt a bit if it was dry/dirty. Maybe check if it needs a bit of cleaning. Run a Qtip dipped in isopropyl acohol along it's inside, as well as where it wraps around the motor and the spindle.

If the belt is the same as the tandon TM-50 in the 1050's, there are a couple sources of new ones.

iso isn't always the best on all belts...  I've had good results cleaning the all belt contact areas and brushing/emery for any pitting or dimple spots, scraping the hard crustiness off the belts then giving a lint free cloth wipe down. Depends on the belt though... some are fine some aren't, not sure if the belts that didn't like it were originals or replacements though....