IGNORED

Help - Turbo tapes for SDrive-MAX!

a8isa1

I'm enjoying SDrive-MAX very much (as much as I did for classic SDrive). I've used most features SDrive-MAX has to offer but I have no idea how to use the Turbo feature of tape emulation.  I assume Turbo means Turbo 2000 but I don't know if that's correct and I don't know the procedure of using these tapes.  We didn't see them in North America, AFAIK. I don't know what format data file SDrive-MAX needs or where to get the files themselves. 

Would someone please provide me instructions? 

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1

I don't believe that SDrive-MAX can emulate Turbo 2000.

I believe that it's turbo feature just speeds up the data transfer of the standard tape records from 600 bps to 1000 bps.

The webpage says the following:

• Tape emulation (from V0.6):
    • Click on the Tape: button and select an image
    • Now you hold down the Atari START & OPTION and start the computer
    • After the burp has been purged, press any key, then immediately after the sdrive-max to start
    • To abort, hold down the Start button a little longer until the next block
    • it will automatically rewind, and it can start over
    • If desired, a 1000 baud turbo can be activated (from V0.7)
    • To exit, simply exit

The "image" to be selected is most likely a .cas file, there are many of them available in the internet archives. No info on supported chunks, but FUJI, baud, and data will work. Not sure about fsk. SDrive-MAX doesn't connect the MOTOR CONTROL signal, so the tape emulation is just rudimentary, but should be enough for simple single-stage and multi-stage booters.

30 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

yes that is the one sadness I have about the device, no motor/audio.... can't use it for the language/learning tapes...

Perhaps one day, there will be device with MOTOR CTRL and audio playback. Technically, it is quite feasible, but the number of potential users is negligible. Full tape emulation (including Turbo 2000) is more complex - the device would have to be built around something else than plain USB 2 Serial converter. I believe AtariMAX is selling something close to that. Their USB version of SIO2PC supports MCTRL and direct control of the DATA IN pin. Only small step to support .cas files with pwmX chunks. 

Edited by baktra

33 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

Cas-files don't contain the audio of a dual track tape. If you want to use these in for example Altirra you need the Wav-files of the tapes ;-)

I don't want to emulate, I want to facilitate, one SIO box to rule them all!  :)

stating the obvious... the wish is for both to be available from the SIO device as the mp3 or orbis file could be controlled with motor pausing the audio as well as the position within the CAS file... we should all know the CAS file doesn't contain the audio as it is written everywhere... and the tape layout is noted all over the place as well. What would make your thoughts go as to anyone thinking otherwise?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1