IGNORED

Atari compatible controllers

bluejay

I've heard that Atari 2600, Sega Genesis, and ColecoVision controllers are all interchangeable, and a certain button on the Genesis controller(the "select" I think?) would fry the atari when pressed. I want to know which button on which controller would represent the fire button on the atari or the c button on the Genesis. Thanks in advance!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Fry the Atari with a controller button? Where did you get that from? 

Well, I get this from taking a look at the wiring: by pressing select on a Genesis pad, you short pins 7 and 8, which are +5V and GND on a 2600. But "select" isn't a button, but a way for the Generis to select which buttons to check. So if I read the table correctly it's Button "B", since select is +5V on the 2600. Button "C" on the Genesis pad is connected to one of the paddles potentiometers.

2600 controller pinout
Genesis controller pinout

Edited by SvOlli

I know under some conditions, plugging or unplugging a controller from the colecovision while it's on can blow a chip(s). I wouldn't be surprised if the same effect could occur by pressing buttons on the genesis controller plugged into the colecovision.

I haven't heard of, or experienced any damage to a 2600 (or 7800) using a genesis controller, which I have been using routinely for many years.

Don't know why you would plug a colecovision controller into an Atari, except maybe just for funzies because it fits, but I wouldn't do it.

Edited by fiddlepaddle