IGNORED

Is it a Quality Improved Version?

Sid1968

Hello,

i just bought a silver TI-99/4A EU PAL Version, that shows me in the Startscreen: (C)1983 TEXAS INSTRUMENTS V2.2

I have these questions:

1. Is this a Quality Improved Version?

2. Is every V2.2 a QI-Version?

3. I know that this version wont run with Atarisoft and other Cartridges. But will it run with FinalGROM99 and its Gamefiles?

Kind Regards

Sid1968

TI99_4A#V2.2.jpg

Edited by Sid1968
  • Like 2

yeah if you look in the pinned FAQ there's links to all the versions of the motherboard, the simplest way to tell a QI from non QI is that the cpu is oriented right to left on the original board but is up and down on the QI and also the white "buss connections" on the board that look like little fences aren't on the QI board.. ..  see below.. QI is on top..

ti_motherboards.jpg&key=0eb8b86d760ba164d88f50ca28e2ea16fc64ccff3d794eb876a720143b8ba3f1

also not all QI boards have the updated ROMS, others with QI boards have had issues running finalGROM99 due to missing signals on the cart port. YMMV

and the QI boards with the later roms can run rom carts fine using the jailbreak exploit to load it.. 

Greg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Mates for your kind answers.

Since my english is not the best i ask if i understood you right.

My 1983 V2.2 is NOT a QI-Version. So it do not need the jailbreak exploit to run with FinalGROM99.

By the way... what is the jailbreak exploit?

Kind Regards

Sid1968

Edited by Sid1968

15 hours ago, Sid1968 said:

Hello,

i just bought a silver TI-99/4A EU PAL Version, that shows me in the Startscreen: (C)1983 TEXAS INSTRUMENTS V2.2

I have these questions:

1. Is this a Quality Improved Version?

2. Is every V2.2 a QI-Version?

3. I know that this version wont run with Atarisoft and other Cartridges. But will it run with FinalGROM99 and its Gamefiles?

Kind Regards

Sid1968

TI99_4A#V2.2.jpg

If it has the QI title screen, but looks like this picture, then someone in the past has replaced the groms with ones from a QI. Or to test QI groms, they were placed in this motherboard. A regular set of groms will make this fully functional as a TI99/4A. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes this is what i see on the Titlescreen:

(TI99 was only with LUMA Signal connected to Monitor for testing it,

after a videoerror was removed by installing two "new" 4116 ramchips.)

2019.09.07#2 - Rechner läuft nach Tausch von 2 Rambausteinen 4116 (Nur LUMA).jpg

Where do i get a regular set of groms?

Kind Regards

Sid1968

Edited by Sid1968
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sid1968 said:

Yes this is what i see on the Titlescreen:

(TI99 was only with LUMA Signal connected to Monitor for testing it,

after a videoerror was removed by installing two "new" 4116 ramchips.)

Where do i get a regular set of groms?

Kind Regards

Sid1968

Hi Sid,

Normally I have extras that I could send as I repair quite a few boards, but your best bet is hopefully someone else has some left over from a donor board and will reply here.

Of course the original GROMs are out of production, but you can usually just type in the part number you are seeking (see attachment) in your browser search engine to

find (mostly) China companies with NOS. Rules of the road unfortunately are that many of them have a minimum purchase quantity/money amount before they will even look

twice at an RFO supplying individuals.

I use WorldwayElec https://www.worldwayelec.com/pro/texas-instruments/cd2155nl/3692809 or Alibaba https://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN/cd2155nl-supplier.html

It is kind of a cat and mouse game with whoever you chose though as most have no idea what they stock or chip function or even what application it is used for - they are simply

forwarders who have purchased bulk sell off items. In the case of the attached, I quoted them $2 per chip and that wasn't sufficient as they responded wanting $2.50 per chip.

Stay away from CD2155ANL (GROM 0) which is the V2.2 version designated by the A in the part number ... and you shouldn't have to replace GROMS 1 (CD2156NL) and 2 (CD2157NL)

provided they are serviceable because only GROM 0 was changed. Hope that information helps.

Doug

GROM order.JPG

• Thanks 1

Thank you buddies. I emailed the developer of the FinalGROM99. He wrote me, that the Version 2.2 can be found at the QI and the NON-QI Hardware. The Version 2 also.

If you have a QI with V2.2 the FinalGROM99 do NOT work there. After the convention the developer will look after that, because he dont know why this problem exitsts at

the moment.

If you have a NON-QI System with V2.2 the FinalGROM do work. There you dont need a jailbreak exploit, because the FinalGROM99 can start ROM-Files ?

Ralf Benzinger is a very kind and nativ guy, whom i say thanks for the good communication.

For this reason it would be a great advantage to have a FinalGROM99 collection with mostly all software titles every pubilished for the TI-99/4A.

This collection would run with the FinalGROM99 on V2 and NON-QI V2.2 Systems. I know the softwarelinks at the FinalGROM99 thread in this forum.

Altough iam a TI-Newbie i dont really think that those collection is complete.

Do anyone have an idea how to start an invocation to produce a complete FinalGROM99 collection?

Edited by Sid1968
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sid1968 said:

Do anyone have an idea how to start an invocation to produce a complete FinalGROM99 collection?

This pinned forum post is regularly updated:

I'm glad you found a solution to get you running on the FG99. I ONLY have QI models because that's what I specifically look for in eBay/Goodwill sources.

I was disappointed I've never been able to use my FG99 because I bought it early/before the community decided it won't support QI motherboards.

I have yet to see that point specifically mentioned in the FAQ/user homepage, but at least everyone agrees it doesn't work.

Doug

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 8:31 AM, helocast said:

This pinned forum post is regularly updated:

I'm glad you found a solution to get you running on the FG99. I ONLY have QI models because that's what I specifically look for in eBay/Goodwill sources.

I was disappointed I've never been able to use my FG99 because I bought it early/before the community decided it won't support QI motherboards.

I have yet to see that point specifically mentioned in the FAQ/user homepage, but at least everyone agrees it doesn't work.

Doug

Doug, why do you only collect QIs?  Just curious. 

Doug

• Like 1