IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season #11 - Game 4 - Stampede

14 minutes ago, Mister-VCS said:

And I thought that the Intellivision is the more powerful (16bit) machine...

It's not really 16bit.

It has a 16-bit processor, an 8-bit graphics bus and RAM, and displays 4-bit colour.

Also apparently the rom can only access 10bit of the processor so it's really 10bit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Doesn't matter to me.  I don't care about bits.  The Inty is still the better machine with much better games, in my opinion.

It's normal  to favour what you know and what you grew up with. The intellivision was my first console and will always be my favourite. I have a great appreciation for the VCS as well though but for me me it will always be  intellivision first.

Edited by Bamse
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bamse said:

It's normal  to favour what you know and what you grow up with. The intellivision was my first console and will always be my favourite. I have a great appreciation for the VCS as well though but for me me it will always be in intellivision first.

Yup, I agree with that.  That's why I put "in my opinion" at the end because I know everyone has a different opinion.  I appreciate the VCS too but I enjoyed the Inty more...always have.  I think Mister-VCS is trying to make some sort of snide comment about the bits and power of the Intellivision, which I don't care about at all.  I think it's silly to make juvenile comments like he did to try to stir up an argument.  We're not in grade school anymore.  

Edited by IntyFanMatt

6 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

There is one big difference with Stampede though. The Inty version only has 4 lines of cattle coming at you while the Atari version has 6 lines. 

The intellivision is limited to eight sprites on screen total.  The atari 2600 can have two sprites per row but the same sprite can be repeated two more times on that row for a total of six.  And then for each scan line you can reuse those sprites with different patterns.  So as long as the sprites don't cross each other on the same horisontal line, the 2600 can have more of them.  Games are designed for their target system and didn't always convert well to others.

1 hour ago, Mister-VCS said:

And I thought that the Intellivision is the more powerful (16bit) machine...

The 6502 processor is probably the faster cpu at similar clock speeds.  The CP1600 was also slowed down by having a common data/address bus.

45 minutes ago, Bamse said:

It's not really 16bit.

It has a 16-bit processor, an 8-bit graphics bus and RAM, and displays 4-bit colour.

Also apparently the rom can only access 10bit of the processor so it's really 10bit.

The intellivision graphics bus is actually 14-bits and uses 14-bits of the 16-bit ram.  Sprite and tile patterns are eight pixels wide and stored in 8-bit memory.  Roms were 10-bit but they can certainly be programmed to create and move 16-bit data.  Modern intellivision cartridges use 16-bit rom and can store and move 16-bit data.  With  only 16 colours you can say colour definitions are 4-bit.  The Atari 2600 actually has 7-bit colour.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The intellivision is limited to eight sprites on screen total.  The atari 2600 can have two sprites per row but the same sprite can be repeated two more times on that row for a total of six.  And then for each scan line you can reuse those sprites with different patterns.  So as long as the sprites don't cross each other on the same horisontal line, the 2600 can have more of them.  Games are designed for their target system and didn't always convert well to others.

The 6502 processor is probably the faster cpu at similar clock speeds.  The CP1600 was also slowed down by having a common data/address bus.

The intellivision graphics bus is actually 14-bits and uses 14-bits of the 16-bit ram.  Sprite and tile patterns are eight pixels wide and stored in 8-bit memory.  Roms were 10-bit but they can certainly be programmed to create and move 16-bit data.  Modern intellivision cartridges use 16-bit rom and can store and move 16-bit data.  With  only 16 colours you can say colour definitions are 4-bit.  The Atari 2600 actually has 7-bit colour.

That is cool info, I appreciate it.  But the specs really don't matter to me.  I don't mean that in a dismissive way, I just have never cared about specs.  I just find Intellivision games to be more fun for me.  And that's all that matters in my opinion.  It's kind of like Nintendo...they have never focused on specs and power but their games are amazingly fun for many people.

Edited by IntyFanMatt

8 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Yup, I agree with that.  That's why I put "in my opinion" at the end because I know everyone has a different opinion.  I appreciate the VCS too but I enjoyed the Inty more...always have.  I think Mister-VCS is trying to make some sort of snide comment about

No attack against anybody. Only a late answer to Mister Plimton (from Mister to Mister).