Jump to content
JacobZu7zu7

Intellivision HSC Season #11 - Game 4 - Stampede

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

There is one big difference with Stampede though. The Inty version only has 4 lines of cattle coming at you while the Atari version has 6 lines. 

And I thought that the Intellivision is the more powerful (16bit) machine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mister-VCS said:

And I thought that the Intellivision is the more powerful (16bit) machine...

It's not really 16bit.

It has a 16-bit processor, an 8-bit graphics bus and RAM, and displays 4-bit colour.

Also apparently the rom can only access 10bit of the processor so it's really 10bit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mister-VCS said:

And I thought that the Intellivision is the more powerful (16bit) machine...

Doesn't matter to me.  I don't care about bits.  The Inty is still the better machine with much better games, in my opinion.

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Doesn't matter to me.  I don't care about bits.  The Inty is still the better machine with much better games, in my opinion.

It's normal  to favour what you know and what you grew up with. The intellivision was my first console and will always be my favourite. I have a great appreciation for the VCS as well though but for me me it will always be  intellivision first.

Edited by Bamse
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Bamse said:

It's normal  to favour what you know and what you grow up with. The intellivision was my first console and will always be my favourite. I have a great appreciation for the VCS as well though but for me me it will always be in intellivision first.

Yup, I agree with that.  That's why I put "in my opinion" at the end because I know everyone has a different opinion.  I appreciate the VCS too but I enjoyed the Inty more...always have.  I think Mister-VCS is trying to make some sort of snide comment about the bits and power of the Intellivision, which I don't care about at all.  I think it's silly to make juvenile comments like he did to try to stir up an argument.  We're not in grade school anymore.  

Edited by IntyFanMatt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

There is one big difference with Stampede though. The Inty version only has 4 lines of cattle coming at you while the Atari version has 6 lines. 

The intellivision is limited to eight sprites on screen total.  The atari 2600 can have two sprites per row but the same sprite can be repeated two more times on that row for a total of six.  And then for each scan line you can reuse those sprites with different patterns.  So as long as the sprites don't cross each other on the same horisontal line, the 2600 can have more of them.  Games are designed for their target system and didn't always convert well to others.

1 hour ago, Mister-VCS said:

And I thought that the Intellivision is the more powerful (16bit) machine...

The 6502 processor is probably the faster cpu at similar clock speeds.  The CP1600 was also slowed down by having a common data/address bus.

45 minutes ago, Bamse said:

It's not really 16bit.

It has a 16-bit processor, an 8-bit graphics bus and RAM, and displays 4-bit colour.

Also apparently the rom can only access 10bit of the processor so it's really 10bit.

The intellivision graphics bus is actually 14-bits and uses 14-bits of the 16-bit ram.  Sprite and tile patterns are eight pixels wide and stored in 8-bit memory.  Roms were 10-bit but they can certainly be programmed to create and move 16-bit data.  Modern intellivision cartridges use 16-bit rom and can store and move 16-bit data.  With  only 16 colours you can say colour definitions are 4-bit.  The Atari 2600 actually has 7-bit colour.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The intellivision is limited to eight sprites on screen total.  The atari 2600 can have two sprites per row but the same sprite can be repeated two more times on that row for a total of six.  And then for each scan line you can reuse those sprites with different patterns.  So as long as the sprites don't cross each other on the same horisontal line, the 2600 can have more of them.  Games are designed for their target system and didn't always convert well to others.

The 6502 processor is probably the faster cpu at similar clock speeds.  The CP1600 was also slowed down by having a common data/address bus.

The intellivision graphics bus is actually 14-bits and uses 14-bits of the 16-bit ram.  Sprite and tile patterns are eight pixels wide and stored in 8-bit memory.  Roms were 10-bit but they can certainly be programmed to create and move 16-bit data.  Modern intellivision cartridges use 16-bit rom and can store and move 16-bit data.  With  only 16 colours you can say colour definitions are 4-bit.  The Atari 2600 actually has 7-bit colour.

That is cool info, I appreciate it.  But the specs really don't matter to me.  I don't mean that in a dismissive way, I just have never cared about specs.  I just find Intellivision games to be more fun for me.  And that's all that matters in my opinion.  It's kind of like Nintendo...they have never focused on specs and power but their games are amazingly fun for many people.

Edited by IntyFanMatt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Each system has different technical strengths and weaknesses.  Stampede is an example that uses the Atari 2600 strengths.  This is why I prefer games that were designeded specifically for the Intellivision.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

 We're not in grade school anymore.  

Right - but I miss those times!

Seriously, I like both systems.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Yup, I agree with that.  That's why I put "in my opinion" at the end because I know everyone has a different opinion.  I appreciate the VCS too but I enjoyed the Inty more...always have.  I think Mister-VCS is trying to make some sort of snide comment about

No attack against anybody. Only a late answer to Mister Plimton (from Mister to Mister).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Mister-VCS said:

Right - but I miss those times!

Seriously, I like both systems.

 

Ok. Sounded like a snide comment to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Matt!

I figure with you,Bamse,M-crew and Jacob competing I will be happy placing #5 in anything!

You guys are putting up great scores in every game pretty much .

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6,865

 

The only thing that coulda defeated me did... Black Angus appeared, random is tough.

 

 

6,865.jpg

Edited by JacobZu7zu7
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...