IGNORED

Amiga a4000t

Ekv

?Nice that it is in great condition but more importantly is it functional / working? 

Also being your first and only post here to sell a high priced item do you have feedback / references as a seller anywhere? 

Where are YOU located / shipping from? 

Top marks on the pictures though.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 2

Hi , i dont have any refernces as a seller , my father passed and he had a collection of older computers.. I never sold them before just in a pinch and need some money. Here are two others im trying to sell as well. I may just put on ebay but have to make and account. As for the functionality of this one. It powers on and thats about it for my computer abilities 

Screenshot_2019-09-09-04-44-57.png

Screenshot_2019-09-09-04-56-51.png

Screenshot_2019-09-09-04-56-33.png

Screenshot_2019-09-09-04-42-43.png

• Like 1

I'm in NorCal and would probably try to work something out if I had the extra room and extra $$; but alas … anyway, I would caution selling these on ebay as they will require lots of packing and will probably be damaged by USPS or UPS during shipping. 

I would definitely try to do some more testing and show things functioning (or not)

I'm not sure what the selling solution is other than Craigslist or offer here for lower prices and pick up or just make sure to overpack and get insurance for delivery but I would hate to see those beauties busted by the morons at USPS and UPS.

Anyway GLWTS and we will help as much as we can.

• 5 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

That or he unloaded it since and could not be bothered to update. EITHER WAY I cannot stand those fly-by-night types who's only purpose of signing up to AA is to unload something and disappear. ??

It was a scam.

• Like 2

What an asshole. Please pardon my language...but really.

I thought I saw these pictures on ebay not too long ago and I guess I was right. 

There are dozens of ways to scam people (not saying you should use ANY way to do that mind you and any way is WRONG) but I find it especially low when these morons slither their way into a niche hobby such as vintage computer collecting and try this crap. 

All the more reason why it is so important to ask for credentials, contact information and so on. And new users used to get pissed when I would call them out and ask for this stuff. Well, get pissed all you want. We need to protect ourselves from scum like this guy.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, thanatos said:

It was a scam.

Thanks for the info / update, I was unaware of that other thread or what had transpired, that said it only reinforces my opinion of these types that come by ONLY to try and sell big items without any prior history and lack of feedback / references, BUYER BEWARE always, so glad the buyer was refunded. ?

Recently I purchased something from China on ebay (oh God why did I do that) and the guy sent a small package with an empty SD card holder instead of what was supposed to be a big package. Not only that, but he altered my shipping address to a different house number that would have been two blocks away. Luckily the mailman knows me and delivered the package to me anyway. I still had to file a police report and submit it to ebay to get a refund regardless as they were STILL going to side with that seller!

We are working with a whole new class of scumbags than years ago that really have fine tuned their scam methods. They know what is working from past experience, and from the sounds of ianoid's post this guy used the same method.

• Like 2

So far I did not have any major problems with Chinese sellers, I prefer buying on EBAY from Chinese sellers that have long track record with 1000s of feedback.

You do need to beware of high value item sellers now days, it's the new way of robbing people, specially when they want to use Paypal family and friends, Zelle, Venmo etc.

Too many scams on Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, Letgo and many others.

So watch out. If you want to educate yourself on today's scams check out reddit newhttps://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/new/

Edited by amiman99

Even people who have been "good" can scam, but usually it is someone who has had their account hacked and the scammer is using it. When I purchased my ebay item the seller had 800+ good feedbacks, years of being a member, and 100% positive. It was a few weeks later that I checked the sellers feedback and saw that he had accumulated 95 negatives in 30 days. I suspect the account was hacked and some scammer was using it.

It that case even though I used all of the tools available to me to determine what I thought would have been a flawless transaction a scam was still attempted on me. 

Nowadays if a new AA member wants to trade I insist they send the product to me first before I send the trade item if we are conducting a trade. If they are new and paying me, I usually request F&F payment. I hate to go to these extremes but I refuse to be scammed out of my hard earned stuff.

Looks like it's a good idea to check for recent feedback.

I remember back in 1996 I was buying and selling my Amiga stuff on newsgroups, what a innocent times. I would send a money order to some stranger, and couple weeks later stuff arrives. I wasn't even thinking I could get scammed.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, carlsson said:

Would $2000 be a favorable price if the 4000T was real? A friend of mine sold his regular 4000 for ~$800 just recently though I know the tower model is far more rare and desirable.

Yeah, I can see it going for this. It is considered by many as the "holy grail" of the Amiga line. I have never even seen one in person and I was living in an Amiga world in the 90's. I have seen scams regarding the tower for a few years now. Seems to be a favorite of the scammers nowadays.

Odd strategy if you are a scammer to go for the biggest prey, the most expensive items that only a few collectors can afford and will be carefully looked up before a deal is made. The Lisa 2 and the Apple /// in the other thread that Ianoid fell for seem a little more suitable to lure buyers with. OTOH I am aware that people are faking sales for far lower dollar items as well so unfortunately there is room for all of them. ?

• 4 years later...

Hello I found this thread trying to find the value of the 4000T that I own. I have a genuine reason for needing to sell and as such want to get the best possible price. I have a dealer coming to look at it later this week but I am worried about getting short changed. It was made in 1996 and bought from a film studio in California. It’s fully working as far as a I know. 

I also have 2x A4000 (one of which has a 200mb sea gate hard disk) an A3000, another tower case and some internals (not sure if it’s a genuine Amiga tower or just a pc one), the Amiga 10 speaker system boxed, monitors: 1084, 1084s d1, 1084s d2, 1950b, a cd32 console with all the bits, keyboards, mouse/mice, and the video toaster with all the manuals accessories and disks. 

i would really appreciate it if you could give me an idea of the value of these items. 

thank you

laura