IGNORED

New Lynx game previews at PRGE 2019

Songbird

4 hours ago, Igor said:

Oh no, I thought you did end up getting those bags in the end. Sad news ?

I do like the slingshot and yes for shooting the letters!

I did not get the bags. And as the bag was fully packed I cannot add any stuff even if I get it back. So I will drag the stuff with me back home. But it was super nice to meet people I have been chatting with at AtariAge. Tomorrow I will likely skip the event and visit the service desk of IcelandAir.

• Sad 2

Songbird Productions is pleased to announce Biniax 2 and Xump - The Final Run coming to the Atari Lynx by Jan 2020. Each game comes in a professionally molded cartridge with printed box and instructions, and an EEPROM for saved game data such as scores and passwords.

Biniax 2 is the tantalizing sequel to the Biniax puzzle game, and includes three play modes: Arcade, Tactic, and an all-new 2-player mode supported via link cable! BONUS: the original Biniax game is included too!

Xump - The Final Run brings the frantic Retroguru classic to the Atari Lynx. Race against the clock and clear the grid of dissolving tiles while avoiding bombs, one-way barriers, and other hazards!

Both games have been remastered and refined to provide maximum gaming pleasure on your Lynx system. Watch the Songbird Productions website for more details on these upcoming releases!
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Pricing should be in line with other Songbird Lynx releases at $59.95. However I am still finalizing the injection mold cost so I can manufacture these games as well as SIMIS, Othello, and T-Tris all in the same batch.

In the meantime, I do have a couple of 3D printed SIMIS and Othello carts leftover from PRGE, so I will put those on my website tonight for anyone who is interested.

That will really put it out of range for many people, especially considering that many modern games come at a much lower price point (maybe an unfair comparison but that's how many will judge it too). I get there are investments and costs involved in manufacturing these, but a lower price point will make them a lot more accessible to many more people, and in turn would mean more units are moved.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Igor said:

That will really put it out of range for many people, especially considering that many modern games come at a much lower price point (maybe an unfair comparison but that's how many will judge it too). I get there are investments and costs involved in manufacturing these, but a lower price point will make them a lot more accessible to many more people, and in turn would mean more units are moved.

A lower price point would probably mean that these games wouldn’t be published at all. Or it’d just scrape away whatever royalties there might be.

I was walking through Wal-Mart a few days ago and noted that all new games for modern systems are at $80 or above, but no one’s clamoring for price reductions there...

I do get what you’re saying, though. I really do.

Reality is that going for molded carts puts you in the red for years to come. The numbers you need to produce in order to get a decent price is in thousands. And the sales is in tens of carts. This leaves you for a long time just waiting for new games to pop up that you could produce. Eventually you get to break even sometimes in the far future.

Thanks Carl!

Just for the records: On Duty sold a whopping 8 copies during PRGE. And the price was $30.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, karri said:

Reality is that going for molded carts puts you in the red for years to come. The numbers you need to produce in order to get a decent price is in thousands. And the sales is in tens of carts. This leaves you for a long time just waiting for new games to pop up that you could produce. Eventually you get to break even sometimes in the far future.

Thanks Carl!

Just for the records: On Duty sold a whopping 8 copies during PRGE. And the price was $30.

Did you sell it for the whole event or only after you got your bag the last day? I'm sure it will sell more when/if you put it up on your store (or on ebay) since it's a high quality title and product.

Following a lot of "retro"-systems it seems like the whole "retro-scene" has really exploded the last couple of years, (but maybe it's just me who can't keep up with everything). It would be really interesting to know if the available market is getting saturated with large amounts of new games for the old computers and consoles. Then again only a part of the games are physical releases. Hmm... ?

Checking google trends all the old systems have only gone down (and a lot) since 2004, but I think that is only a sign of people using less google and knowing exactly where to go. For example why would I google Atari Lynx when I already have known for years to go straight to the Lynx forum here or perhaps to the Lynx facebook group. All new Lynx news and sites are posted here and/or there anyway. There's a visible upswing for the Lynx since its 30th birthday and the competition though:
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=%2Fm%2F01154

Handhelds chart. Gameboy ruining the graph here! It's so weird, because I can't seem to find any "proper" forums or facebook groups (at least not for development) for the original gameboy. It seems home computers and oddball systems have relatively much more active enthusiasts than the smash hit consoles (which is maybe not a surprise).

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=%2Fm%2F0dv3zf,%2Fm%2F075y1,%2Fm%2F01154,%2Fm%2F03shh1,%2Fm%2F01kdlb

Without gameboy:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=%2Fm%2F075y1,%2Fm%2F01154,%2Fm%2F03shh1,%2Fm%2F01kdlb

Well known old home computers:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=%2Fm%2F0228q,%2Fm%2F0h12k,%2Fm%2F0xkl,%2Fm%2F089b9,%2Fm%2F014hgy

Retrogaming:
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=%2Fm%2F07hmmd

2 hours ago, Igor said:

I'm sure if your price was $60, you would not have made 8 sales. With regard to moulded carts you make a good point, but in the end are moulded carts really needed?

We could do a test. If I now announce a limited sale of On Duty for $60 and close the shop after that. This would be an exclusive deal for only 8 carts and no carts are produced after that. How many days/minutes would I need to keep the shop open to get 8 carts sold? Would you be willing to pay $60 for one? I am sure that 2 days (same as PRGE) would produce 8 purchases.

The point is that $30 or $60 are both more expensive than getting a game for free. But for a collector they cry a bit more for the higher price but they still pay it. For a casual user he rather just downloads the game and ENJOYS PLAYING IT. Once.

Besides, the game has been out since September for free. This should satisfy the need of the casual players leaving only the collectors as potentional customers. The Xump release is just the same. I will follow with interest what kind of sales Xump will have. It is an excellent game and the box is a awesome. Does it attract only collectors or will casual gamers buy it also?

• Like 1

I think there must be a bunch of people falling in between (like me). New games for old systems is the thing that really gets me most excited (after trying to develop them my self) in the realm of retro, but there's no way I could regularly afford 50-60€ games although I have a day job and Finland is reasonably high in the purchasing power statistics.

I think I've bought perhaps four to five 50+ euro games in the last ten years: Zaku, Wyvern tales, paper mario color splash, wario ware gold. Modern games I have to wait 'til they're sub 20€ and retro games are fortunately cheap on tape (usually bellow 10€). A big part of retro games are generously given away freely as you say, but it's still more fun with a physical release.

@karri big kudos to you who have contributed the tools to push down the price of Lynx cart home-production considerably! :thumbsup:

Carts are obviously usually very expensive on all retro systems because of the molded stuff. I wonder how the future was 8-bit have managed to push down the prices for molded vic-20 and c64 carts. According to the man himself the 9.99£ "ragne" is possible because of: "in my own time", "risking my own cash" and "to say no to kick farting" :lol: https://twitter.com/futurewas8bit/status/1180121310757900288?s=20

Soooo, it seems we still could use that tape to comlynx interface for super budget C casette Lynx physical releases! :grin:

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Haha 1

I have purchased a few games from Karri, I find the the prices good in my opinion.

I have a wife, 2 kids and bills and can't aford to pay $60 for each game to come out. I do have a bunch of Songbird games, But I have purchased them used off of ebay for a lower price. I have also purchased Der Luch games from ebay, but only after using make an offer.

Even with my kids games for xbox, I wait for them to go on sale. 

That is just me currently with what I have going on now. If I was at the show and bought an autographed copy of On Duty I would pay $30 without issues.

That is just my opinion, I'm sure other people have diferent thoughts.

• Like 3

Exactly Fred, but Lynx games from current publishers never seem to get to that point of "ok it's been released for a while, lets lower the price". It really is just a collector's market as Karri said and that in itself is a loop that publishers should be striving to get out of - by lowering the prices and marketing and making games more accessible to the every day person, not just collectors. The way I see it is there is a finite amount of hardcore Lynx collectors who would be willing to pay inflated prices, but there is a potential infinite amount of every day retro games who would gladly spend a reasonable amount on new releases, and that should be the target market.

• Like 1

Just to be clear to what I personally meant: I wasn't complaining about the price per se, with all the work and passion put behind a physical release the carts could fairly be sold at a much, much higher price. I was mostly thinking that cheaper games would probably reach a little bit more people, which is nice (but I don't have proof other than myself and thefred so far ;) ).

With Karri's cart programmer + boards and 3D printed cart-shells you're down to almost tape prices though, so that's really neat! :thumbsup: