IGNORED

problem with type game from HCM

bradhig1

I typed in Kors Elf from Home Computer magazine issue 5.1 and I got most of it to work.  When I type the keys to stop the letters moving on the screen nothing happens and I can't find anymore error

https://archive.org/details/HomeComputerMagazine_Vol5_01/page/n83
BLANKD.DSK

On line 390 you wrote CB= KB... it should read CH=KB...
On line 790 there is an additional comma after XDRAW 29, AT that causes a syntax error. Remove it and the game should work. I have not tested all features though.

Delete line 132. It seems like it was a failed entry of line 1320.
On line 270 correct the quotes around “CHECK” and delete the one after CHR$(7).
On line 340 correct HCARK to HCHAR,K
On line 350 correct HCAR to HCHAR and add a comma after the second HCHAR
On line 390 make sure to keep the syntax DRAW n AT x,y
There are others. Try to find them. Otherwise I can post a disk image with the corrected version later.

On 9/11/2019 at 11:43 PM, bradhig1 said:

Thanks..   I got another one archeodroid.   Can't get past reading in the data statements on arche2.   Always data error.

arche.DSK 140 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks for typing these in and to those helping to debug them.  Could you possibly post the fixed disk images once you have made the corrections?  I would love to try them.

thanks

Always look in subsequent issues of the magazine for any corrections to the listings. Some familiarity with the version of Basic the program is written for and its syntax helps spot errors in the listing while you're typing it. And of course read through your entries for typos made while you're inputting it.

• Like 1

I can't tell how much of the program is executed before the emu crashes.     I have debugged many of the data statements.   I don't which version of prodos or apple basic I should use with these programs.    I believe a real apple ii would not kick you out of basic if a program has errors like applewin keeps doing.    There are no corrections in later issues.   If I run it in Apple II+ mode it says run cannibals and just sits there doing nothing.

On Disk - Programs from Home Computer Magazine.dsk

Most programs that hook the I/O vectors and are written for DOS 3.3 will not work on ProDOS without modification.  (In DOS 3.3, you set the vectors at $36-$39, then call $03EA.  In ProDOS, you need the function to start with a CLD, and use the DOS command PR#A$xxxx and IN#A$xxxx.)

Edited by The Usotsuki
  • Like 1

I haven’t checked yet, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the listing on the magazine. The assembly routines embedded in the data statements usually don’t use any DOS I/O hooks, so they should work under any OS. They do use a clever argument parsing that may lead to issues if called incorrectly. For archeodroids there were a lot of typos in many lines outside the data statements that caused the reset to monitor situation. I would suggest to check the complete code again for any typos.