IGNORED

problem with type game from HCM

bradhig1

Here is what keeps happening.   That message is coming from line 2060.

Error in 200 screwed it up.    Now I have graphic problems with the obstacles. Can't stand the way you have to edit programs on Apple II.  Can't cursor up into lines and edit them.  End up having to retype the whole line.   Anyway to make a blank disk image.?  Run cannibals to see progress soo far.

On Disk - Programs from Home Computer Magazine.dsk

2 minutes ago, bradhig1 said:

Here is what keeps happening.   That message is coming from line 2060.

Error in 200 screwed it up.    Now I have graphic problems with the obstacles. Can't stand the way you have to edit programs on Apple II.  Can't cursor up into lines and edit them.  End up having to retype the whole line.   Anyway to make a blank disk image.?  Run cannibals to see progress soo far.

On Disk - Programs from Home Computer Magazine.dsk 140 kB · 1 download

Press ESC to switch into/out of cursor move mode.

• Like 1

It is working as far as I can tell except the obstacles don't appear to be drawn correctly and I can't figure why.    The randomness of the game is brutal. Sometimes you start surrounded by cannibals and can't win , sometimes you start near the water , and sometimes you can make it to the boat without running into the cannibals.  

I  typed in Boolean Brain and I keep getting illegal quality in 1380 which is correct.  I can't find what's causing it.  I think it's those stupid useless data statement which are a pain to edit because when I hit esc and move the cursor to the error and then press enter I get syntax error.  Also there is a 0 displayed next to  keyboard interface and I can't find out why.  I am always afraid people here will get mad at me for making mistakes in these programs like they did at Lemon 64. They said something like a comma instead of a period, colon instead of semicolon.  How come you didn't check the lines before hitting enter.   How could you be soo stupid.On Disk - Programs from Home Computer Magazine (1).dsk

On Disk - Programs from Home Computer Magazine (1).dsk

On 9/22/2019 at 6:29 AM, bradhig1 said:

They said something like a comma instead of a period, colon instead of semicolon.  How come you didn't check the lines before hitting enter.   How could you be soo stupid.On Disk - Programs from Home Computer Magazine (1).dsk

On Disk - Programs from Home Computer Magazine (1).dsk 140 kB · 3 downloads

Whoever says that has never typed in a program from a magazine! This happens more often than anyone would like to admit. Unfortunately DATA mistakes can be hard to spot but they are necessary in order to define shape tables or use assembly routines for generating sound. I use an echo Speech synthesiser and the TextTalker SW to let the Apple II dictate to me the data statements for checking. The MESS Emulator is able to emulate these cards in case you are curious.

There were a couple of the aforementioned typos in the program. I think I corrected all of them. I can't remember which one caused the illegal quantity but I think it might have been one CO() array being spelled simply as O(). Attached you can find the updated image with all the programs discussed so far. 

For editing the ESC mode is a nice feature but requires some discipline and it's easy to mess things up. I would recommend you to use an editor like ProgramWriter instead. I attached my favourite version that can be booted both in ProDOS and DOS mode. A short manual is also attached. They are available somewhere on the net, but I can't remember if I got them from Asimov or somewhere else.

On Disk - Programs from Home Computer Magazine.dsk ProDOS_DOS_ProgramWriter.dsk program.writer.manual.txt

7 hours ago, bradhig1 said:

The obstacles on land should be circles.

You mean the obstacles in cannibals? They are drawn by line 1320:

1320    HCOLOR=6:FOR I = 0 TO 5:HPLOT X%,Y% + I TO X% + 4,Y% + I:NEXT :NEXT 

Which will draw 4 by 6 blue rectangles. Applesoft does not have primitives for drawing circles. They could have used a shape table for them but they didn't. The screenshot on the magazine must be from another system.

• Like 1

The shape table looks fine. I guess the rocket was defined that way. There was a small typo on line 1310, where RUM instead of RUN was written. Trying to fix it caused a hang-up. It seems like your previous tries destroyed some zero page information damaging the file. I fixed the length manually and corrected the typos. I also removed some files on the disk image to make room for future programs. See attached file.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...