IGNORED

The next game or demo competition for Atari Lynx!

rj1307

Who did the demo where the Silly Venture limousine pokes away the commodore guy? I was laughing so hard! :lol:

@drludos I think he expressed earlier that he did not want the roms to be shared before the 24th, but I would think that a game testing private club would be perfectly fine though? Better wait for his answer to be completely sure.

@rj1307 Thanks for being a big part (the whole part?) of arranging the Lynx part of the competition! It was so nice to see even more fabulous stuff created for the Lynx this year. By the way, is there going to be a page with all the winners from all the categories/platforms collected somewhere at some point?

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

8 hours ago, Nop90 said:

I'm not happy for the result, and I think ir's human wanting to win, but I'm satisfied of how our team worked and of  how the game come out.

Compliments to all the participants, the level is very high, that is a good thing for the AtariLynx scene, and in the end this is the important thing.

8 hours ago, karri said:

Wow. "Silly sister" was last? Just like "Find a way to my heart".

Don't be sad guys, all the Lynx games sincerely looked great. It has partly to do with the target audience tastes too, mostly men, mostly of type: "pragmatic engineer", it would make sense that games that look/are technically impressive most probably would score highest. Probably if there would be a broader audience the results might have looked a bit different.

That said sorry for generalising, but it was just to paint a picture, and don't get me wrong, most of my friends and at least half of myself is "type engineer". Also it has to be said that from a pragmatic standpoint I think the best game won, it looked like it was the most technically impressive and like the most effort would have gone into it. Who's KK/Altair by the way? All the other names are regulars here on the Lynx forums. KK = Karri Kaksonen!? ?

All the demos blew my mind too! I never really got that excited about demos before, but watching the whole Silly Venture stream changed my mind, so I'm super happy to have found them now. I think perhaps the Pokey and Mikey music opened my mind!

The moment after submitting my game I was like "what have I done?", submitting a game where everything's mostly dark all the time, to a competition where the games are presented on a big screen (and no hands on gaming). But after all I'm very happy I got a small game pulled together for the Lynx's 30th birthday year.

Congratulations and thanks to everyone who participated and to everyone who arranged the competition!?

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, rj1307 said:

...Of course, the authors of the work can publish their ROMs here...

Oh, please do!  The wait till the 24th will drive me nuts!  ?️  :lol:

8 minutes ago, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

...I never really got that excited about demos before, but watching the whole Silly Venture stream changed my mind, so I'm super happy to have found them now. I think perhaps the Pokey and Mikey music opened my mind!...

Same here.  I usually view demos as "if only the effort were put into a game", but this year we have so many great new games shown to look forward to, that I really enjoyed and appreciated the demos as well.

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard on this and the previous competition. It's been an amazing year and I'm very thankful for every game you've all put out.  ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

Who's KK/Altair by the way? All the other names are regulars here on the Lynx forums. KK = Karri Kaksonen!? ?

He is a great coder from Poland (Krzysztof Kluczek). He doing awesome job on Atari VCS, atari8bit now Lynx. We actually clashed at Silly Venture 2018 at atari xl/xe game compo. We were 1st and he was 2nd. We were joking its 1:1 now and the ball is on ; ).

• Like 2

Can to add that the all Lynx compos impressed poples that didnt know Lynx well/didnt have it (only classic ataris xl/xe or ST etc) and proably more people will have the machine soon (as they stated at the party). The 30th competion (from AtariGamer) and this competition (SV2019) brought more peoples too (for example our group and now KK's group Altair) and I bet more will come when they realize (as we did) how awesome this machine is.

Edited by solo/ng
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, rj1307 said:

Everything will be on the demozoo website:  https://demozoo.org/parties/3781/#competition_15633

Of course, the authors of the work can publish their ROMs here, the date December 24 is the date the files were published on demozoo by the organizer Silly Venture. :)

9 hours ago, drludos said:

Woaw, my jaw dropped to the floor when watching those entries, both games and demos, with a special mention to Silas' Adventure!

I cannot wait to play and watch those on a real Lynx now! :)

For those of you who want to try Fishing for Atari I'd be happy to share the ROM right now - @rj1307 is it OK if we post ROM of our entries here on AA before the 24th?

If we can't make it public yet, maybe we could share them in a forum private club for those who are eager to play/watch them? :)

Thanks again for running this compo, and congrats everyone on your entries, the level was very very high!

With Rafal's permission I'll be making these ROMs (except the No Time ROM) playable on the online Lynx emulator shortly. The No Time ROM fails to load so until the 512k version is available, we'll all have to wait.

To be clear the ROMs will not be downloadable.

Edited by Igor
  • Thanks 1

I guess there is no interest to put Silly Blaster playable only on online Lynx emulator as it won't be very useful unless you want to see a static screen :D (tip : you can skip the waiting phase of second player and launch the game by pressing Opt1 + Opt2 but 2nd player will stay immobile as there is no AI).

I'm pleased that I finally got something to submit but I'm not happy at all with what I submitted (apart the checkboards scrolling and nice music from Der Luchs - but sprites are ugly, 3D projection cheating is not good, there is no single player mode, Comlynx is only to connect second Lynx as joystick, no interaction of on screen display on second Lynx and so on) and in my opinion Silly Sis desserve to be ranked before Silly Blaster, but I guess some 8bits nostalgia helped me a bit with votes.

To be clear, it was not intended to be a BallBlazer clone (I don't like to copy existing game, I prefer to get inspiration from them and do my own thing, sometimes better, many times worse) but I never found the light to put my own touch in this, now I will this on hold, waiting for some ideas that may never come :D

The game entries were awesome, and the winner obvious for me after showcasing (even if I'm not into FPS games) and I can't wait to play the 7 other games. Haven't seen the demos right now cause I had to drive (apart Bastion here and it is really impressive, with great design and storyboard). It's great to see newcomers to the scene. The 8bits scene from East is doing really awesome stuff on computers, if more of them start programming on Lynx, we should have some of the best years on Lynx coming.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, karri said:

Wow. "Silly sister" was last? Just like "Find a way to my heart".

I have played Silly Sis World 1 via Igor's website.

I really like it. I guess, like Find a way to my heart or 4TTude, it is better to play these games on a comfortable sofa, in a relaxing environment rather than at a party or a show. But I will definitively play it again, and hopefully on a real Lynx.

• Thanks 1

I got home :)
Thank you all for amazing games and demos, it was a great end to Lynx's year! I was browsing reviews of Lynx Compo today, and I realy liked the statement of one person from the poilsh forum: "... during the presentstion of the Lynx entries (demo and game compo) you could hear dropping jaws of ST / Falcon people." I think this statement beautifully sums up the quality of your work. :)

254 people took part in Silly Venture, there were a lot of guests from outside Poland. RJ Mical himself participated in Lynx Compo! :)

Thanks for help to my daughter Agata, she was your voice at Silly Venture and presented your work in Polish and English :)

Once again, I'm sorry for the shortcomings and mishaps on my part, but the fatigue, stress and the fact that some productions reached me at the last minute had a big impact on it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rj1307 said:

Thanks for help to my daughter Agata, she was your voice at Silly Venture and presented your work in Polish and English :)

Many thanks to her, she did a great job. I hope she enjoyed the party, it was a great event with lots of stuf on every platform.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fadest said:

apart the checkboards scrolling and nice music from Der Luchs

The game entries were awesome, and the winner obvious for me after showcasing (even if I'm not into FPS games) and I can't wait to play the 7 other games. Haven't seen the demos right now cause I had to drive (apart Bastion here and it is really impressive, with great design and storyboard). It's great to see newcomers to the scene. The 8bits scene from East is doing really awesome stuff on computers, if more of them start programming on Lynx, we should have some of the best years on Lynx coming.

@Der Luchs Really powerful music. I wish you would share a little bit of your chipper sound tweaking knowledge again, you make mikey sound like pokey which obviously is fantastic and very fitting for an Atari system/console. :thumbsup::music:

Yes, more stuff and people for the Lynx is always welcome!

7 hours ago, KK/Altair said:

Well, looks like it's me. :) You might or might not remember me from games like RoboMechanik (VCS), Druidarium (XL/XE) or the Chiphead demo (VCS).

Welcome here! :waving: Spectacular work on Silas adventure and congratulations on the win!

1 hour ago, rj1307 said:

I got home :)
Thank you all for amazing games and demos, it was a great end to Lynx's year! I was browsing reviews of Lynx Compo today, and I realy liked the statement of one person from the poilsh forum: "... during the presentstion of the Lynx entries (demo and game compo) you could hear dropping jaws of ST / Falcon people." I think this statement beautifully sums up the quality of your work. :)

254 people took part in Silly Venture, there were a lot of guests from outside Poland. RJ Mical himself participated in Lynx Compo! :)

Once again, I'm sorry for the shortcomings and mishaps on my part, but the fatigue, stress and the fact that some productions reached me at the last minute had a big impact on it.

As Fadest said, she did a great job. Also I can imagine the stress, if I would arrange a competition I would set a definitive deadline quite long before the competition itself, but I can imagine it's easier said than done. Sorry for being one of the absolute last minute entries! ?

The stream was great fun for me. We commented all entries in real time. Plus I was really happy to chat with you guys during the compo. I believe we were 60+ outsiders enjoying this. At least a few competitors were there like Turbo Laser Lynx, enthusi, me. RJ was there. Kevin and Kim from US. Plus tons of others I met at eJagfest. Thank you for an AMAZING party!!!

• Like 2

Really is an amazing effort by everyone. I keep repeating this, but it's got to be said over and over. @Turbo Laser Lynx running a competition and being a competitor are totally different levels of stress and expectation. In hindsight it's probably more of a punishment being an organiser, but the results are very much worth it in the end! It was good to see how SV compo was run, that let me learn quite a bit too, combined with what I learned from running mine I know what I can do to make it a smoother process now.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 11:23 PM, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

Who did the demo where the Silly Venture limousine pokes away the commodore guy? I was laughing so hard! :lol:

@drludos I think he expressed earlier that he did not want the roms to be shared before the 24th, but I would think that a game testing private club would be perfectly fine though? Better wait for his answer to be completely sure.

@rj1307 Thanks for being a big part (the whole part?) of arranging the Lynx part of the competition! It was so nice to see even more fabulous stuff created for the Lynx this year. By the way, is there going to be a page with all the winners from all the categories/platforms collected somewhere at some point?

Hi,

I am the main coder behind the Devil's Show. The sequence of the hummer was inspired by ideas of Remdy, another coder, and Exocet, our graphist friend. It is inspired by the video clip of Aphex Twin Windowlicker, and by the Silly Venture itself, which proposes every year to go on Friday evening to a Gdansk club in a hummer limousine playing Atari music, to enjoy a nice concert there and a nice polish dancer making a nice show called the Devil's show :) 

• Haha 1

On 12/7/2019 at 9:16 PM, enthusi said:

Cool compo!

Our entry:

Hi @enthusi, I wanted to congratulate you and your team for your demo, it was really great to watch, and honestly the results of the compo were totally uncertain to us, until the prize giving. A few weeks ago I found a port of the Oxygene demo on the Lynx, and I could not believe during the show, the framerate that you achieved in your 3D world (almost as fast as that "polygon stream display" algorithm). Would it be possible to make an interactive version of your engine, where the user would be able to go where he wants ? I was blasted by the length of the run in that world, and I still can't figure out what was actually precalculated and what was not, it would be great if you could you give some insights !

Anyway,  cheers for making a demo on the Lynx, she deserves more love !

Hi Kezax,

congratulations as well ;-)

Nothing of the 3d part was precalculated at all (only the camera positions are streamed :). There is a fully steerable version but we decided for auto-guide during the demo - also because you can cause glitches if you run against corners alot :)
I shed some details here and will continue to do so if there is interest:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guys get a room already! But honestly this is amazing to see competitors congratulating each other like that, and I'm glad to see that people from the Polish forums are joining here too. 2019 has really been the most amazing year for the Lynx!

• Like 3