IGNORED

The next game or demo competition for Atari Lynx!

rj1307

Thank you for sharing the video. I was not able to see it through the streams as it broke now and then.

It is really great to have a chance to talk with the legends who created the computer gaming industry. And meeting these people in real life is so cool.

51 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Unbelievable sound, could not believe this is running on a Lynx. I really thought that entry would win, although it's a bit short. But all three were great.

the demo was planned to be longer but the title of the demo says why it isnt;) generally our plan was to make "unease feeling" and something different. Im happy you liked it:)

Edited by solo/ng

14 minutes ago, enthusi said:

Nice atmosphere :) Most gfx are streamed animations I guess? Cool style.

wood part and greetings part yea. wanted to have realtime 3d objecs with dymanic lighting (similar to our older production for 6502 xl/xe: https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=13004) - but was not ready (white empty bar on screen), next time;).

12 hours ago, kezax said:

Hi,

I am the main coder behind the Devil's Show. The sequence of the hummer was inspired by ideas of Remdy, another coder, and Exocet, our graphist friend. It is inspired by the video clip of Aphex Twin Windowlicker, and by the Silly Venture itself, which proposes every year to go on Friday evening to a Gdansk club in a hummer limousine playing Atari music, to enjoy a nice concert there and a nice polish dancer making a nice show called the Devil's show :)

Hello! :waving: I really loved all three Lynx demos artistically, but personally I always like a bit of humour/comedy thrown into the mix. Anyhow, fantastic stuff from everyone! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, 42bs said:

*ggr* I always wanted to make 3D landscape fly. Now I missed my turn :(

Great demo!

Hey, thanks ! It's not because I made one that you can't do it anymore :) We never see enough of them on the Lynx :) maybe you'll find a better way to do it - actually I have no doubt !

Some other parts of the demo required a lot more work to come true. Final size of cartridge before padding, is about 132kb, but if we would have had more time and would have encoded smallfont only one time, we would fit under 128.

Edited by kezax

20 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

@kezax at 2'00 the rotating plane, is it full 3d and textured or is there a trick?

The texture is rendered into an additional 8k screen buffer, then Suzy draws and scales lines from it, line by line, to the screen buffer. There are tricks to draw only the needed parts of that texture (in shape of cone). Most of rendering loop was finally implemented in pure asm.

At some point, I began to make plans to use this technique to also move over the checkerboard and render a Mario Karts clone with a full circuit, but then we decided the best linking theme of the demo would be Devil's Show, and this sequence had no more reason to be part of the demo.

Edited by kezax

8 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

I'm a mentalist I guess, it's exactly what I had in mind when I saw it :D

Follow-up question, is the texture already rotated when you render it in the extra buffer?

Yep, the texture is tile based and the tiles are rotated before being output to the extra buffer ;)

1 hour ago, kezax said:

The texture is rendered into an additional 8k screen buffer, then Suzy draws and scales lines from it, line by line, to the screen buffer. There are tricks to draw only the needed parts of that texture (in shape of cone). Most of rendering loop was finally implemented in pure asm.

At some point, I began to make plans to use this technique to also move over the checkerboard and render a Mario Karts clone with a full circuit, but then we decided the best linking theme of the demo would be Devil's Show, and this sequence had no more reason to be part of the demo.

nice demo and nice trick

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...