IGNORED

Community for classic PC games?

solidus

Hey all! Im not sure if this is the place to post this, but I am looking for a place to discuss classic/retro/whatever PC gaming. DOS/early windows/ and even early 2000's stuff. I am really into collecting and playing a wide variety of PC games, but I have yet to find an online community focused on it. Do many people around here get involved in this? Thanks

5 hours ago, solidus said:

Hey all! Im not sure if this is the place to post this, but I am looking for a place to discuss classic/retro/whatever PC gaming. DOS/early windows/ and even early 2000's stuff. I am really into collecting and playing a wide variety of PC games, but I have yet to find an online community focused on it. Do many people around here get involved in this? Thanks

https://www.vogons.org

https://www.gog.com/forum

https://www.dosgames.com/forum/

• Like 1

Awesome thanks so much for the replies! Ill check it out.

On 9/11/2019 at 11:33 PM, Tanooki said:

Well you know what, just start posting.  I'll play along as that was my favorite time for PC stuff (DOS through WinXP.)

What were the first games you ever played? The actual first PC game I ever played was Starflight by EA, on 5.25 in floppy. My dad had a computer that we would play it on. I was pretty young but I can recall looking at the starmap and trying to figure out where to go. From there I got really into the DOS classics (Biomenace, Commander Keen, Halloween Harry, etc).. Then I discovered stuff like Heretic, Doom, and eventually the 3D stuff like Tomb Raider. I can go on and on... so much good stuff

42 minutes ago, Metal Jesus said:

If you are on Facebook, I would highly recommend the Big Box PC Game Collector's group. Really well run, very active with over 4,400 members and there are some big name devs in there too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BBPCGC/

Hey! Im a big fan of the channel.. and I actually am on my own (difficult) quest to get my hands on some of my favorite big box games. I knew about this group, but I was reluctant to sign up for Facebook and never joined. This is the 3rd time it has been mentioned to me, so it may be time to get going on it. Thanks!

• Like 1

If you're a fan of GoG you're doing it right aside from going down the sometimes very expensive rabbit hole of original big box PC games. :D

My first I can't honestly say.  I got a Christmas 1990 gift of a magnavox headstart 500CD based PC that came with like the original PC tray based CD drive.  It was a 386sx16 with a couple megs of ram, capable of 1024x768 VGA/SVGA visuals and had a decent HDD on that, also a really nice sound blaster pro too which was something new then as well.  The system came with a few CDs to show off the tech, system stuff, apps, an encyclopedia, also The Manhole, and then this well used Game CD that had probably 50 titles on it and they all ranged from around 1987-1990.  I don't know which was touched first, and I've been trying to find the name of it and track it down for years with no luck or help anywhere I ask which SUCKS.  It came with stuff like Into the Eagle's Nest, Infiltrator1+2, Pebble Beach Golf, Skyfox 2, Road Runner, Willow, and others.  I so wish I could find it. :(

So the only good answer I can give, my first shareware I found shortly after in 1991 in a small box of floppies at a register was Wolfenstein 3D and I played that to death.  And shortly after my first retail buy is The Simpson's Arcade game and i'd love to get that one back (but ebay scum have been BIN trolling it lately.) :(  Tempted to just download it since I already bought it once nearly 30 years ago.