easmith

Pro Bowling ( 2600 early W.I.P)

I have the  germ of a bowling game . have a basic graphic layout .  No gameplay yet.  A lot of figuring out needs to be done . But I thought I would share an early  screenshot ......

image.thumb.png.ecd24f416267880949757d187e0687ed.png

Edited by easmith
  • Like 10

I like the look of it, the only gameplay input I would initially give you is if possible can a randomness or something be implemented where the player does not memorize the positioning, power and throw to ace the game?  In my opinion a lot of bowling games lose their flavor quick as once you figure out the sweet spot you can almost always get a strike.

Would it be possible to add maybe a warped floor feature like golf games use on the greens?  It may be fun to "read" the alley like we read the greens in golf games?

Maybe having a mischievous someone or a clumsy waitstaff drop by every so often and "accidentally" spill liquid on the alley or obstacles falling onto the alley (lights etc) or are crossing it?

If you rumble the screen randomly you can make an earthquake alley, why bowl in an earthquake? Cause its something almost no one as ever done and sounds wild!

How about a jungle alley where monkeys drop peels and other animals get in the way while rolling coconuts which are wobbly.

Heck I can even see the joy of having the Kaboom mad bomber, slide along that red part of the screen drop a bomb or bombs on your alley and you have to roll back a bomb before it explodes.  Of course if the 2nd player can also control him and drop bombs on player ones alley.. hummm haha.

I realize I am really going out of the typical bowling game but they are just some ideas I just thought of.

In any case good luck and I am looking forward to playing your game.

One more thing, can we get a girl choice in that game too?  

Very interesting suggestions indeed!  Long way to go before I can even think about those kinds of frills.🙂.  I do have an unused P0 graphic in the lane. Yes on female option for sure.

I updated the screenshot to show all places where ball will be shown at different times  ( testing kernel for viability).

The idea is to have a 3 digit Score where the X ( strike , spare indication) is .

The idea for basic gameplay is this :  

The player will move left and right to line up shot . Then there will be a shot meter similar to my golf game, where you can shoot straight on , or time the release ( on purpose or accidentally )  to drift the ball right  or spin the ball left .

The ball will contact the rack ( whose graphic will change based on pin status) , unless the ball contacts the gutters.  

Then the current plan is to show the overhead view of ball interacting with pins ( this is the top part of screen).  This will be the tricky part of the whole thing and will make or break the game.   I am unsure at this point if I can get this part worked out to a satisfactory level.  The ball contacting the pins and then changing the active pins should be relatively easy. But getting pins to hit other pins ( or simulated hits since the pins won't move) will be tricky. This will depend on the angle of contact and impact location, etc.  Also the ball should slightly change direction also if it is to be realistic . 

Your approach sounds really fun and already much better than than the original bowling being offered.  I cannot say how happy a girl being in there makes me!

I am sure whatever approach you take it will be awesome, I am just happy someone is taking on sports that have kind of gotten forgotten in the age of homebrew.

Cool!  The original bowling is fun on the 2600 but we've needed a version with a visual update form some time!

On 9/11/2019 at 8:06 PM, easmith said:

I have the  germ of a bowling game . have a basic graphic layout .  No gameplay yet.  A lot of figuring out needs to be done . But I thought I would share an early  screenshot ......

image.thumb.png.ecd24f416267880949757d187e0687ed.png

Please, can this be for European people as well I love original bowling and this 3d bowling heaven.