IGNORED

Pro Bowling ( 2600 early W.I.P)

easmith

On 11/30/2019 at 8:58 PM, KevinMos3 said:

I do wish your games worked on the FB Portable, but I guess we can't have everything.  ;-)

Try this NukeyShay hack . Let me know if it works  --- I do not have an FB Portable.

Edited by easmith
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I finished this game in about 2 weeks . I spent a LOT of time figuring out the scoring , and once I solved that puzzle I kind of burned out . 

I have revisited it over the last week and have added a 2 player option . Plan on finishing a 32 K deluxe version with 2 player option , some gameplay tweaks ,  title screen, cut screens ,  Etc . With help from Kevin who has worked on graphics for Dark Keep and Kung Fu Combat . 

looking forward to a completing a more polished version hopefully this summer . 

• Like 6

• 7 months later...

Finally an update ! 

updated game is nearing completion.  2 player game is implemented.  Also, I have made it easier to pick up spares ( no longer requires specific type of spin to pick up certain splits).

The original game was very bare bones -- I was kind of burned out at the time.

The new game is intended to be a Bowling Alley experience.   You see the bowling alley exterior, you check out shoes, you bowl, and then you end at the snack bar or the arcade :)

Here are some selected WIP screenshots.  I hope to post a ROM in the near future .  

Bowling121822km_dbg_2748ed64.png.a9117996c3f8e7a5d32f58feacfdaaca.png

Bowl121722_dbg_2602ff1c.png.c944b6ea8bb8f4827c8ece4a156b20cb.png

Bowl121722_dbg_2603f535.png.2bd3c087581c0ba87e19af7d18838fa4.png

Bowl121722_dbg_2603565f.png.d344cfd756f2e16c52ed23e2c85f2354.png

Bowl121722_dbg_26044a20.png.51ff61dbc5740c21cb5e50862d9b8678.png///.

• Like 18

7 hours ago, Prizrak said:

Need I remind you that you've got an author spotlight folder on PlusCart 😉 your work is that legendary.

I was not aware of this but that is cool.  I just hope they have the proper final versions of the ROMS as I post many updates along the way.

• Like 1

I love your modifications, they look great!  Any chance of adding some of those crazy modes I suggested back on page 1?  I think if you can that would go a long way to keep the game playing by people for a long time.

Sure having the regular bowling mode is good but I can see bonus modes or crazy setups with obstacles etc.  The Kaboom mad bomber mode would be fun where your ball is the bomb and you  have to roll it back before it explodes?  

In any case totally looking forward to your new version it looks great!

On 12/18/2022 at 2:15 PM, easmith said:

Finally an update ! 

updated game is nearing completion.  2 player game is implemented.  Also, I have made it easier to pick up spares ( no longer requires specific type of spin to pick up certain splits).

The original game was very bare bones -- I was kind of burned out at the time.

The new game is intended to be a Bowling Alley experience.   You see the bowling alley exterior, you check out shoes, you bowl, and then you end at the snack bar or the arcade :)

Here are some selected WIP screenshots.  I hope to post a ROM in the near future .  

Bowling121822km_dbg_2748ed64.png.a9117996c3f8e7a5d32f58feacfdaaca.png

Bowl121722_dbg_2602ff1c.png.c944b6ea8bb8f4827c8ece4a156b20cb.png

Bowl121722_dbg_2603f535.png.2bd3c087581c0ba87e19af7d18838fa4.png

Bowl121722_dbg_2603565f.png.d344cfd756f2e16c52ed23e2c85f2354.png

Bowl121722_dbg_26044a20.png.51ff61dbc5740c21cb5e50862d9b8678.png///.

I will pay for and ship you a Trak-Ball if you need one to get support for it on this title! I think it would just be incredible. If you need one and are game, send me a PM.

Edited by funknflow5200
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 1:41 AM, imstarryeyed said:

I love your modifications, they look great!  Any chance of adding some of those crazy modes I suggested back on page 1?  I think if you can that would go a long way to keep the game playing by people for a long time.

Sure having the regular bowling mode is good but I can see bonus modes or crazy setups with obstacles etc.  The Kaboom mad bomber mode would be fun where your ball is the bomb and you  have to roll it back before it explodes?  

In any case totally looking forward to your new version it looks great!

That is a cool idea but will probably just make it straight bowling.  I will be short on space with all the new graphics .

On 12/19/2022 at 3:00 PM, funknflow5200 said:

not sure if this has been suggested here yet, but - my KINGDOM for Trak-Ball support on this! it would be absolutely amazing!

I will first finish the updates with same control scheme as old game. 

Perhaps a trackball " hack " could come at a later date:).  I definitely can imagine how cool it would be.  kind of like the old golf arcade game ( Golden Tee?) where you could control speed of ball and direction.

Would have to read up on trackball, and it also likely would require major changes to the programming for how the ball moves. 

On 12/21/2022 at 5:52 PM, easmith said:

That is a cool idea but will probably just make it straight bowling.  I will be short on space with all the new graphics .

I will first finish the updates with same control scheme as old game. 

Perhaps a trackball " hack " could come at a later date:).  I definitely can imagine how cool it would be.  kind of like the old golf arcade game ( Golden Tee?) where you could control speed of ball and direction.

Would have to read up on trackball, and it also likely would require major changes to the programming for how the ball moves. 

check out "capcom bowling" or "strata bowling" or "Krazy Bowl" this would be an absolutely killer inclusion!

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to pile on the praise wagon. This update looks fantastic, and I can't wait for the finished product. I recently bumped into your games, and they have become some of my favorites. I'm a fan of sports games in general, and I think your homebrew sports titles are some of the best on the 2600. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2023 at 3:36 PM, RollOut said:

I just wanted to pile on the praise wagon. This update looks fantastic, and I can't wait for the finished product. I recently bumped into your games, and they have become some of my favorites. I'm a fan of sports games in general, and I think your homebrew sports titles are some of the best on the 2600. 

Thanks so much it is always nice to hear that someone enjoys them.    

Hope to release a ROM soon.  Just need a couple of screens to be finalized.  Here are the main updates from previous version:

graphics:

Again , the theme is bowling alley experience

- a few / intro title screens

- shoe checkout 

- 2 splash screens for strike

- splash screen for spare 

-  improved graphics on gameplay screen

- improved accuracy of lane pin graphics  representing which balls are up/down

- text and graphic indicating strike, spare, and hot streak

- 6 different game over screens representing different part of bowling alley, based  on score

gameplay:

-  1 or 2 player option  ( female player still available as Player 1) 

- spares / splits based on ricochet:  these are now easier to pick up just based on hitting nearer ball.  No longer requires certain spins as in older game .

- 2 difficulty levels

-  hot streaks:  can you get on a hot streak ?

- perfect game:  in previous game, perfect game was near impossible. Although not easy, it is doable. Special reward screen for perfect game.

• Like 4