IGNORED

Ultimate Cart vs. SDrive-MAX for Atari XEGS?

sixersfan105

4 hours ago, kiwilove said:

AtariBlast! in it's 8mb version - is one of the few big games that will run on a 16k machine.  If the UNO cart supports the Atarimax banked system - then it should run fine on this cart - as opposed to the Atarimax 8mb carts - it was initially designed for, running on.

Harvey

In my opinion Atari Blast! doesn't work with UNO Cart.

Atari Blast XEX is >128KB and CAR is 1MB so it shouldn't work (UNO Cart specs).

I would be happy to be wrong because Atari Blast! is one of the best Atari games and an awesome showcase of Atari graphics modes, everyone should try that game.

I would be interested to test but for two things: 

1. My only UNO Cart is currently plugged into my 1088XLD semi-permanent (closed inside the case);

2. I don’t have a copy of Atariblast that I know of; and

3. Jon appears to have definitively shown why Atariblast wouldn’t work. :) 

• Like 1

On a related note, and this is probably a super dumb question, so my apologies in advance, but on a stock XEGS (64k ram), is there any way to get the more advanced games like Crownland (and maybe AtariBlast is another?) to run, or would I need to mod it internally with the U1MB or similar? 

11 hours ago, Philsan said:

In my opinion Atari Blast! doesn't work with UNO Cart.

Atari Blast XEX is >128KB and CAR is 1MB so it shouldn't work

I own both an UNO and an Ultimate Cart.  AtariBlast needs an 8MB AtariMax cartridge image so it will not work on the UNO.  It will work fine on an Ultimate Cartridge. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SS said:

I own both an UNO and an Ultimate Cart.  AtariBlast needs an 8MB AtariMax cartridge image so it will not work on the UNO.  It will work fine on an Ultimate Cartridge. 

Cool, so that answers my q I suppose, because if it works on the Ultimate it should work on the AVGCart, assuming my reading comprehension is average haha.

7 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Yes I play AtariBlast off the AVG cart, if that's the question... it works just fine...

Cool. Yeah the question was larger games in general that say they require 128kb of ram, for example. Crownland is another that comes to mind. With a stock 64kb XEGS...

On 9/17/2019 at 2:30 PM, sixersfan105 said:

Cool. Yeah the question was larger games in general that say they require 128kb of ram, for example. Crownland is another that comes to mind. With a stock 64kb XEGS...

AtariBlast will work on a 16K 400 if you put it on a cart (AtariMax 8Mb/Ultimate/AVG). I don't know about Crownland.

It is note-able that the cartridge must be a true banked cartridge rom designed with truly banked software.

If you use standard exe, xex, disk image and a cartridge that loads that into memory, with or without os fixes/patches, it really just a loader at that point and will fail in memory starved platforms...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1