IGNORED

BRE Software's public domain disks

Allan

Here are ATRs of all the BRE Software's public domain Atari 8-bit disks I have. All from original disks. Eventually I will upload these individually to Archive.org with a list of what's on each disk. But for now, here they are. Anybody want to add to these from your original collection, please do. This is only a fraction of them as you can see by the numbers in the file names.

Yes, I know there are more of these from some of the older Atari 8-bit disk image collections. There are even some on Archive.org but without the disk number attached. That makes it hard to tell which actual disk each ATR came from. It would be great to get to get the whole collection together.

BRE Software.zip

• Like 7

Hmmmm,

the Pooldisk and Pooldisk Too had some of these BRE disks, maybe worth a look to complete the collection ?!?

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/PoolDisk One/CD/XL_ATR/BRE/

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/PoolDisk Too/CD1/BRE/

Disks.TXT describes the contents of these disks...

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

25 of the disks from the pooldisk too are exact matches to this archive, so there are potentially 35 additions from there.  I'll sort through those and try to work out which disks are new and which simply have minor differences.

Also interesting is that some of the disks in this archive are duplicates.  The ones with copy in the names aren't a surprise, but disk 45 sides A + B are identical (maybe an error while dumping). Disk 78 and 130 sides B are identical, containing just DOS/DUP and a short AUTORUN, probably this is the equivalent of blank for BRE.

913adf0c39e158e731e72e9cb6aa9f79|||BRE_045_A_130XE_Utilities.atr|92176|2002-11-11 08:11:12
913adf0c39e158e731e72e9cb6aa9f79|||BRE_045_B_130XE_Utilities.atr|92176|2002-11-11 08:11:12

• Like 3

On 9/15/2019 at 6:15 PM, Atari_Ace said:

25 of the disks from the pooldisk too are exact matches to this archive, so there are potentially 35 additions from there.  I'll sort through those and try to work out which disks are new and which simply have minor differences.

Also interesting is that some of the disks in this archive are duplicates.  The ones with copy in the names aren't a surprise, but disk 45 sides A + B are identical (maybe an error while dumping). Disk 78 and 130 sides B are identical, containing just DOS/DUP and a short AUTORUN, probably this is the equivalent of blank for BRE.

913adf0c39e158e731e72e9cb6aa9f79|||BRE_045_A_130XE_Utilities.atr|92176|2002-11-11 08:11:12
913adf0c39e158e731e72e9cb6aa9f79|||BRE_045_B_130XE_Utilities.atr|92176|2002-11-11 08:11:12

The side B for disks 78 and 130 were not formatted/blank. The disk images you see are just formatted disks I set up so I would have a disk image to copy to in case there was something on side b. You can just trash those. I will double check disk 45. I might have goofed.

Allan

OK, I did a first pass through the "pooldisk too" BRE files:

The are 12 disks/24 sides that aren't represented in your archive:

003_A/B.atr - Games
004_A/B.atr - Games
008_A/B.atr - Games
023_A/B.atr - Games
024_A/B.atr - Games
027_A/B.atr - Utilities
031_A/B.atr - Basic Games
032_A/B.atr - Basic Games
039_A/B.atr - Demos
049_A/B.atr - R-Draw
054_A/B.atr - Modem Programs
059_A/B.atr - Utilities

There are two disks where it has a side B but your archive does not.

046_B.atr - Utilities
078_B.atr - German Games

And there are nine disks where the disks are different:

013_A.atr - Micropaint Artist, Side A
013_B.atr - Micropaint Artist, Side B
048_B.atr - Utilities
050_A.atr - Textpro
053_A.atr - Basic Games
061_B.atr - Basic Games
070_A.atr - Movie Maker Files
077_B.atr - German Games
093.atr   - Wizard Adventure Creator

I'll carefully go through the nine disks later this week, but in at least one case (048_B), your disk looks damaged (file COMPACTO.R links are broken in sectors 91-92), whereas the Pooldisk has valid sector links.  There are also differences in sectors 360 (VTOC), 364 (DIRECTORY), and 709-710 which appear less important.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Hi.  I'm looking over my box of disks and found I have a few BRE Sotfware "Public Domain" disks that (as far as I can tell) are not on the lists mentioned above:

Disk #33 Applications (A&B sides)

Disk #42 Turbo Basic

Disk #44 Daisy Dot

Disk #114 SX-212 Express

I'm kind of new to Atariage and these message boards.  Should I try to make ATR files out of these disks and post them here?  Is someone collecting the ATRs on archive.org?  What's the appropriate thing to do?

Thanks

Theodore

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

I wanted to comment a bit on disk 70_A, Movie Maker Files.  This disk was affected by the the dreaded Happy Ultraspeed bug, causing $82 to be erroneously stamped at offset 2 on most sectors, see the comments by Nezgar and phaeron in this thread.

Not only does this copy have the problem, but the PoolDisk copy is similarly corrupted (interestingly, it's contents are laid out differently and has an additional MVM file, so it's likely a later/different version of the disk).

Fortunately, these files are in other archives. Bellcom disk 62 has the TREK.MVM file, and the SLCC_DOM_Vol_13_Disk_09_Side_2 Sept_1995 has the others.  Using those source files I repaired the disks such that the Pooldisk version seems to function now. The other version crashes early on, most likely a problem in my restoration of the either the boot sectors or DOS.SYS.

My patched copies are below.

bre070a.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1