IGNORED

Bravo Sierra Computers and Ben's status

Justin Payne

Just wondering but a little while back I heard that Ben from Bravo Sierra Computers had stage 4 kidney failure. I went out to his site (https://www.bravosierracomputers.com) and it appears to go to Amazon. The WhoIs also doesn't look good. So, I figured I'd ask if anyone knew him and how he was doing.

Thanks for the heads up. So, no idea about his status? I was able to go to this linke (https://www.bravosierracomputers.com/8bt_soft.html) and got no warning and it appears that what was once his software list was no more and has been replaced with...

bravosierracomputers.com

2019 Copyright. All Rights Reserved.

The Sponsored Listings displayed above are served automatically by a third party. Neither the service provider nor the domain owner maintain any relationship with the advertisers. In case of trademark issues please contact the domain owner directly (contact information can be found in whois).

That's not a good sign.
I see that Antic podcast interviewed him back in 2016. Maybe he has some method of reliable contact with him but Stage 4 ain't a good prognosis so I think we can make some assumptions here.

2 minutes ago, bandit said:

He is still posting in comp.sys.atari.8bit and I talked to him a few months back, I had a couple friends that was going to

buy off his Craigslist add in Portland as untested which was why I talked to him.

Well, that's good to hear. I was on that newsgroup a few months back to see how he was doing but haven't been back so I'll pop on over again. His site is one of the sources of software we use when we give price and availability during our game reviews and since the link was "bad" I figured the worst.

Thanks for the update.

I hope he can bounce back.  Does kidney failure reverse?  I don't think so, but if progression can be halted at stage 4, maybe he'll make it.  I have bought Atari stuff from him before a couple of years ago.  He's a bit of an odd personality, but he seems like a good person.  My prayers are with him.

I bought stuff from Ben years ago, though I do believe it was still this century. I think I attempted contact through his store site a year or two ago with no response, or whenever the last time was the site was fully active, if not up to date. The intent being to purchase some stuff. I'm glad to hear he's still with us. 

Edited by Gunstar

13 hours ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

I hope he can bounce back.  Does kidney failure reverse?  I don't think so, but if progression can be halted at stage 4, maybe he'll make it.  I have bought Atari stuff from him before a couple of years ago.  He's a bit of an odd personality, but he seems like a good person.  My prayers are with him.

I found this about it. It's not immediately fatal but it's also not a walk in the park unless that park is on a hill and he's walking up it.

Stage 4 chronic kidney disease is defined as having a GFR of 15–39 ml/min. This means your kidneys have lost nearly 85–90 percent of its function and will require the assistance medical therapy.

Without treatment in the form of kidney dialysis, stage 4 kidney disease patients will be subjected to several negative symptoms that will not only cause pain, but also an overall decrease in quality of life. It is expected that stage 4 patients will not survive more than a year without dialysis treatment.

With dialysis, however, patients are expected to increase survivability considerably, allowing them to extend their prognosis by an additional 2–5 years. By allowing a dialysis machine to perform the work normally done by the kidneys, your body can perform optimally again. However, it is important to note that every patient is different and may have additional circumstances that may affect survival.

Edited by Justin Payne

1 hour ago, Gunstar said:

It's all working for me here...

If you click on one of the catalog links it doesn't take you an access forbidden screen? I have tried it from several devices and browsers on both wifi and data to see if something was blocking it and I still get that every time. 

8 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

If you click on one of the catalog links it doesn't take you an access forbidden screen? I have tried it from several devices and browsers on both wifi and data to see if something was blocking it and I still get that every time. 

No, it goes to the catalogs. I use Windows 7 and Opera browser.

Edited by Gunstar

6 minutes ago, Preppie said:

All the the links at the bottom of the page work for me but if you click the 'Downloadable Atari Catalogs!' in the text it goes to an inaccessible ftp.

Yes, I just checked and that is true for me too, but all the catalogs are at the bottom, which do work, and you can just copy and paste, so who needs the down-load-ables? The thing that should be the focus is if one can still actually order anything. Has anyone gotten in touch through the site yet?

Edited by Gunstar

12 hours ago, Gunstar said:

It's all working for me here...

This is strange because when I go to the page it defaults to  https://sdf.org with the title "SDF Public Access Unix System". Are you sure you guys aren't accessing a cached page?
I did click the link Gunstar provided and I do get to his FTP though but if I take off the /ftp/ from http://atarisales.sdf.org/ftp/, it defaults right back to https://sdf.org.

I visited him in person to buy some Atari stuff around 15 years ago, and saw he had some issues with weight. hygiene and extreme hoarding so I can’t imagine what these last 15 years have been like for him! I really do hope he can get well. But that usually requires hitting rock-bottom and doing a 180° change in your lifestyle, health and habits.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1