IGNORED

My 1st Homebrew - Mr. Yo-Yo, WIP

DaveM

[emoji15] I've got some brushing up to do. I played some more tonight, I just plan suck at it. I'll learn the patterns and that will help. Your tips you gave definitely help out. Could I make a smaller manual for PlusCart? I could convert it all to fix on the Atari but that's a lengthy read from the system. Maybe just the gameplay instructions?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, folks, I think this is it!  I haven't heard back from anyone saying they've found any bugs in the game, so this will be the final digital version!  I've made just a few minor tweaks and adjustments, most of which you probably won't notice.  I slightly adjusted the difficulty of the highest levels to make them just a tad less difficult, I removed some unnecessary code, and I think I've fixed the one glitch that I did find.  I've also created a PAL60 version of the game, and I've attached an updated draft of the game manual.

If anyone spots any bugs, please let me know and I'll go back and fix them.  Otherwise, I'll begin work on preparing this game for a cartridge release in the AA Store.  The cartridge version will include a couple easter eggs not found in the digital versions attached here.  Otherwise, the game play will be the same.  I may do a high score patch type of thing for those who find the easter eggs, but I'm just at the start of that whole process and don't want to commit to anything quite yet.  I'm hoping the game will be available in the AA Store by the end of the year.

Thanks!

Mr_Yo-Yo_PAL60_FINAL_DIGITAL.bin Mr_Yo-Yo_NTSC_FINAL_DIGITAL.bin Mr Yo-Yo Game Manual_TEXT_DRAFT.docx

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone able to help test the PAL60 version of the game on real hardware?  I've tested it out on Stella, and it appears to be OK (see screenshot below), but I'd like to know for sure that it works on the real thing.  Need to make sure that the colors are similar to the NTSC version and that the speed is about the same as well.  I've attached the PAL60 version below, although it's the same as the attachment a few posts up.  Thanks!

PAL60_Screenshot.thumb.jpg.019341561440139fc0c61977d96920be.jpg

Mr_Yo-Yo_PAL60_FINAL_DIGITAL.bin

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Voxel said:

Responded to the other post, however for completeness of this thread, I'll post here too.

Below is how the game looks on a PAL 2600 Jr.

I'll play test a bit on the weekend when I have more time.

Responded on the other thread.  ?  Thanks!

So it looks like we're just about ready!  We've got one last little glitch to solve, and that's it.  I was able to add a couple of easter eggs to the game, which will be in the cartridge version of the game.  I've tested the heck out of it, and they're working as they should.  More importantly, everything else is still working as it should after I added the easter eggs, so I didn't screw up anything in the process.

Just curious - has anyone tried the 2-player co-op version?  I'm wondering how it plays.  I tested it out by mapping both controllers to the keyboard, so I could play as both players, so I know it works, but I haven't had a chance to try it out with someone else as it's intended.  Very curious as to how the 2-player Co-op plays with two actual players.

Co_Op_Menu_Option.thumb.jpg.23eef7a5fdff3d3ef6844ab59c542f9a.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 7:26 AM, DaveM said:

Just curious - has anyone tried the 2-player co-op version?  I'm wondering how it plays.

Can't remember if I tried it on the 6 switch or the Jr, but it worked fine alternating the players to control Mr. Yo-Yo.  This was tested on an Uno cart.  I don't recall if I tested the firing though.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, well, I think we're done!  No one's come back to me with any other problems, and I've been testing the heck out of it, and it all seems good.  So let's call the Apr 11 release above the final one.  Naturally, since I "finished" with the game, I've had a whole bunch of ideas for stuff I'd like to add.  But I'm pretty maxed out of the 8k I'm using already, and it's time I move onto something else.  I'll save those ideas for a future sequel to the game.

I've sent the release candidates (NTSC & PAL60) to Albert.  These are the same as the above final digital releases, with the addition of 2 easter eggs.  I understand that Albert's a busy guy, so I'm going to move onto a non-Atari project that's been sitting around for a year or so until we're ready to get started on artwork and whatnot for the physical release.  

I'm planning on doing a couple high score patches with the release.  I have nothing definite set yet, but I'm thinking one will be your traditional high score patch (I'm thinking "Notely Rescue Squad Member"), and I think the score needed will be 150,000.  That's about where you should be if you start from Level 1, and make it through to the end of Level 2.  So, tough for someone new to the game, but quite attainable with some practice.  Let me know if you think that's too easy (or too tough).  The other patch will be a smaller supplemental one that you'll earn for completing Level 9.  That will trigger one of the afore-mentioned easter eggs (as for the other easter egg, I'm keeping that a secret), and that'll get you the other patch.  I won't be doing anything on this yet though until close to the actual release of the game, so I may change all this.

Anyway, a huge thanks to those of you who have followed the development of this game and who have enjoyed it so far.  I've been blown away by the support for the game and how many of you have said you liked it.  I hope you consider purchasing a copy when it's available in the AtariAge Store, or if not, continue to enjoy the final digital release.  And a nomination for the next ZPH Homebrew Awards would be nice too.  ??? 

So, what's next for me....  As I mentioned, I'm going to work on a non-Atari project for a while, which I think should take me 3-4 months or so.  After that, then I'll be starting on my next game.  I'm sure I'll be posting about that when I have something playable (or more likely, when I need help).  All I'm going to say about that game is... 2 player co-op.  Oh, and it won't be another Mr. Yo-Yo game.  Completely different idea for this one.

THANKS EVERYONE!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Karl G said:

What is your non-Atari project, out of curiosity?

I was afraid someone was going to ask that.  :)

It's just a little graphic design thing I do for my own amusement.  Nothing for public consumption.

• 4 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew IS BACK FROM BREAK TOMORROW and playing the Exclusive Final Binary of Mr. Yo-Yo on tomorrow's (Fri Jun 18, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY!)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew IS BACK FROM BREAK TOMORROW and playing the Exclusive Final Binary of Mr. Yo-Yo on tomorrow's (Fri Jun 18, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

1077002383_20210618-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.0da39a5d2dfe80dec1d6fd58bad93dfd.jpg

Looks like this will be during my lunch hour, so I should be able to make it!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So it looks like we're still on target for a fall 2021 release in the Atari Age Store!  I last talked to Albert a couple weeks ago, and he said he'd try to connect me to an artist that will take care of the box/manual/labels/etc.  

I think I'm going to forget about doing the high score patches that I had planned.  It's a bit more than I'd like to spend on something like that, so I'll pass on that for now.  Maybe we'll design a patch, print it up in the manual, and if you beat a certain score you earn the right to cut it out and staple it to your favorite jacket or something. 

As this is my first game that I'm trying to publish, I'm unfamiliar with this process.  I'm anxious to get going on all this, but I also understand that things like this take time.  I'm trying my best not to make a pest of myself.  Can anyone fill me in on how this process works, and maybe pass along a little advice?

As for everything else, my "non-Atari project" is moving along nicely, and now that the NBA Finals are over (dammit), I'm devoting more time to that and hope to wrap it up within the next couple weeks.  As soon as that's done, I'll be starting my next game.  I've got a lot of ideas for that written down, and I'm quite anxious to get started on it.  Not sure how to get some of those ideas to work, but figuring that stuff out is part of the fun of this, isn't it?  I'm just hoping it turns out to be a fun game.  If not, I have another idea I came up with that I can work on instead, just in case.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

In anticipation of Mr. Yo-Yo's upcoming debut in the Atari Age Store, I decided to create a couple gameplay videos.  One with text commentary, one without.  Each video starts with a normal game, followed by a run at completing Level 9.  Same gameplay on each video, just one has text commentary added to it.  I wanted to do audio commentary, but I had a couple pipes burst in the house, and had some industrial-sized fans drying stuff out, and the noise from that ruined any audio recording I tried to do.  I think the text turned out better than the audio would have anyway.  I tried to include some info in the text commentary that I haven't talked about on this board before, so if you enjoy the game, I'm hoping you pick up some new info that might help you get further into the game.  Anyway, here's the links:

With text commentary...

...and without text commentary...

As I mentioned earlier, we should have this available in the Atari Age Store relatively soon.  I know Albert's a busy guy, and I'm not sure where he is on the whole process of getting the next batch of games ready, but last I heard, we're still on target.  

What I do need though, is an artist for the box, label, and manual art.  If anyone's interested in doing the artwork for this game, please message me!  

All my other projects are now complete, so next week I anticipate starting on my next game.  Hopefully it won't be too long before I have something worth posting!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very honored to announce that Mr. Yo-Yo was nominated for TWO Atari Homebrew Awards!

BestHomebrewNomination.jpg.19c95286b59bdbdd637533ae008656db.jpgMYY_SuperHappy.jpg.84dd04c15476f8ca5480c5f0bb0101c1.jpgBestMusicAndSoundNomination.jpg.770fe35c017b94cfe29046e78d92dda6.jpg

Be sure to head over to the Awards section of the forum, download the binaries for the nominees, and vote for your favorites!

Big thanks to ZeroPage Homebrew for all their work putting on the Awards this year!  I enjoyed watching the nomination show earlier today.  I was able to watch it live at the start, but unfortunately, something came up and I had to jump off before they got to play Mr. Yo-Yo.  I watched the rest of the show later in the evening.  It's really too bad I had to miss the segment with Mr. Yo-Yo, as James and Darcy were having more trouble than usual with the game.  If I were in the live chat, I could've told them they had the difficulty switch set to 'A', which is why the enemies were moving so fast!  :)  Oh well.

It's a true honor to be nominated, so a big thanks to everyone in the nomination committee who voted for the game, a big thanks to everyone that helped along the way with the development of the game, and of course, a big thanks to the AA community in general for the support and encouragement you've shown from the beginning!

• Like 2