IGNORED

My 1st Homebrew - Mr. Yo-Yo, WIP

DaveM

• 1 month later...

I've started a thread to keep everyone updated on the production of all the new pre-order games, including Mr. Yo-Yo.  I'm also posting photos as items arrive, such as the boxes, manuals, labels, posters, and other items once I've received them!  

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

..Al

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
AtariAge Day 2022
THIS SATURDAY, LIVE on ZeroPage Homebrew

Saturday, May 21st 2022
12PM PT/3PM ET/7PM GMT

Join us for this year's AtariAge Day hosted by @ZeroPage Homebrew on Saturday, May 21st starting at 12PM PT to see the latest homebrew games for the Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, and Atari Jaguar, as well as live interviews with the developers who created all these great games. Make sure you don't miss this huge event and mark it on your calendars! All the newest games in the AtariAge Store will be unboxed and played during the interviews with developers!

1522715382_20220518-AtariAgeDay-Square-Mr.Yo-Yo.thumb.jpg.3689df3d995f1045f36e99007e355596.jpg

Releases & Interviews

Atari 2600:
  • Doggone It (2600) by Andrew Pauley @Armscar Coder
  • Escape from the Castle (2600) by Eduardo Vilarinho
  • Game of the Bear (2600) by Vladimir Zuniga @vhzc
  • Hellway (2600) by Octavio Pinho Bokel @Octavio Pinho Bokel
  • LadyBug Arcade (2600) by John Champeau @johnnywc
  • Mr. Yo-Yo (2600) by David Marli @DaveM
  • Pitkat (2600) by Marco Johannes (MarcoJ) and Dyfed Hitchings (Jamtex)
  • RobotWar 2684 (2600) by John Champeau @johnnywc
  • Soul of the Beast (2600) by Michael Christophersson/ΛERIF°RM @flame
  • Unholy (2600) by Leonardo Santiago @Leonardo Santiago
Atari 5200:
  • Intellidiscs (5200) by Ryan Witmer @Ryan Witmer
Atari 7800:
  • Danger Zone (7800) by Lewis Hill @Muddyfunster
  • Dragon's Descent (7800) by Todd Furmanski @Revontuli
  • Knight Guy in Low-Res World – Castle Days (7800) by Vladimir Zuniga @vhzc
  • Wizard's Dungeon (7800) by BydoEmpire @BydoEmpire
Atari Jaguar:
  • Dr. Typo Collection (Jaguar) by Dr. Typo @DrTypo
  • Gravitic Mines (Jaguar) by Lawrence Staveley @CyranoJ and and Ander Lex @agradeneu
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I should've posted this a week ago right after the broadcast, but things happen, and at least I'm finally getting around to this...

Thanks so much to James and Tanya for having me on the show!  I had a lot fun, and it was great to finally talk to you live. 

Naturally, about a minute after I left, I realized that I did forget to mention something about the game, and that is the Easter Eggs.  I've mentioned it in this thread, but I'll go ahead and repeat it anyway.  The cartridge version contains 2 Easter Eggs that do not appear in the downloadable ROM.  I mention how to find one of these Easter Eggs earlier in this thread, but the other one you'll have to find yourself.  It's a bit tricky.  :)

If anyone finds either of the Easter Eggs, I'd love to know about it!  Post a pic of it if you can here in this thread, and how you think you got it, and I'll confirm and explain exactly how they can be found.

And if you were kind enough to purchase a copy of the game, or if you just downloaded it and enjoy it, please consider leaving a review of the game in the AA Store.  Thanks!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DaveM said:

Thanks so much to James and Tanya for having me on the show!  I had a lot fun, and it was great to finally talk to you live. 

Thank you so much for coming on the show! Having live interviews with developers on the show is one of the most fun things about doing ZPH, it was great having you on David!

- James

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, D Train said:

this looks great.  always amazed by the talent of people in the community here!

Thanks as been a huge Atari fan and made a lot of label art I stun that no one got the idea of making a mock up TV ad of any Atari homebrew games over the years.

https://ibb.co/NNjn1Bp

Edited by Atariboy2600
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, DaveM said:

I looked into that, but it would've just cost too much for me to produce. 

Could buy them in bulks for less cost and could be like how they repack Star Raiders with the Touchpad 

https://www.funexpress.com/novelties-and-candy/novelties/novelty-toys/yo-yos.html

Atari Video Computer System Star Raiders Game and Touch Pad | eBay

Edited by Atariboy2600

10 hours ago, Atariboy2600 said:

Could buy them in bulks for less cost and could be like how they repack Star Raiders with the Touchpad 

Star Raiders was quite expensive when it first came out, if I remember correctly.  Even buying in bulk, I'd have to raise the cost with a yo-yo pack in.

10 hours ago, Atariboy2600 said:

Could buy 24 pc for $10 

But those are blank yo-yos.  Probably cheaply made too.  

The ones I looked into were custom yo-yos, where they would've printed a Mr. Yo-Yo face on one side, and the AA logo on the other.  I forget the specifics, but there was a minimum order of something like 250.  Most homebrews sell less than 50 copies, so I'd be stuck with a box of at least 200 yo-yos lying around my house.  So, I'd have to charge extra not only for the pack-in yo-yo, but the other yo-yos that would remain in a box in my garage.  There's also shipping costs, and the work Albert would have to do to create a larger box that could fit the yo-yo.  In the end, even buying in bulk, the costs didn't work.  Trust me, I'm a financial analyst.

So when I say that I looked into it, I actually did look into it quite thoroughly.

But if everyone wants, I'll create a sequel to the game and design a special pack-in yo-yo controller with turbo boost spinner control and a plastic overlay, and I'll jack up the price of the game to $350.