IGNORED

Which color palette to use in this game?

Razzie.P

Thought about plopping this in the Classic Gaming section, but hope it's  ok to post here even thought it's a NES Homebrew and not (yet) Atari related.  That said...

Opinions wanted.  We all love to give opinions, right? :)

I'm making a game with a limited, nearly monochromatic color palette.  Originally, it was inspired by the game "Minit," which is black n white only.   It kind of got away from that a bit, as each area has a different shift on the color palette, but anyway --- for the first 13 stages (Area 01) it still has the Black n White vibe.   Black background, with white brick tiles.   However, someone suggested recently that I try it with gray bricks since it better portrays the "Haunted Mansion" that I'm going for with this game.  I tested it, and I'm 50/50.   Not sure if I want to keep the first area B&W, or change to Gray.

White sticks better with the "Minit" inspiration.   Gray seems to allow the hud, collectibles, and enemies to pop out a bit more, but the player's hat gets a wee bit lost when pressed against it.  Not enough to seem like a problem though, imo.

Keep it white or go with the Gray?   Thoughts and opinions welcome and appreciated!    (also, ignore the artifacts and garbage in the videos.  Compression seems to be a mess on the Gray test.)

White
https://youtu.be/SA0zL7DmU8c

Gray
https://youtu.be/l4zmrsq5rhE

Is there no grey inbetween the suggested one and the pure white? I like the contrast between background and objects, but it is a bit dark, at least in the video. Also on later areas where you will add colour, will you have access to a similar set of brightness/contrasts for each hue? I understand the monochromatic style but personally I tend to get more drawn to a game using colours from the start, different hues even.

15 hours ago, carlsson said:

Is there no grey inbetween the suggested one and the pure white? I like the contrast between background and objects, but it is a bit dark, at least in the video. Also on later areas where you will add colour, will you have access to a similar set of brightness/contrasts for each hue? I understand the monochromatic style but personally I tend to get more drawn to a game using colours from the start, different hues even.

There is one other Grey, but I don't really like it much.  It seems too close the white, but just enough "off" to bug my eyes a bit :)    I captured a quick preview of it, though.    If I understand what you're asking, then yes, each area will have similar contrasts between the backgrounds and "maze walls."    For example, here's a quick look at the second area (Garden) and 3rd area (Basement/Cellars)     Again, please ignore the artifacts that youtube/compression adds to the videos.  The actual game is much, much cleaner  

Lighter Gray 

Area 02

Area 03

Edited by malrak
changed "to" to "too