IGNORED

Atari 7800 SD Cart (Concerto?)

Tempest

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I think the biggest issue with an RGB mod for the 7800 is the fact that you have two sets of video colorburts to sort through with the 2600 and 7800 color on two different lines. So what ends up working or looking good from the 2600 side might not look right on the 7800 and require additional stuff and switches to flip between them or something like that. I thought Mr. Worthington had been working on something for the 7800 but not sure the status or it was actually someone else?

Tim was working on one but the last time I heard anything about it was a couple of years ago or so. I’ll see if I can email him and see if he’s made any progress.

2 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

Nothing for so long, now two being developed at once!

I will take it! Or should I say, I'll take both! 

Like stated above I already have 2 7800 "flash" carts. But the new Concerto sounds great and Saints recent tweets makes me exited for his also. This is a Win Win! Literally. 

On 9/25/2019 at 6:32 AM, DrVenkman said:

I know I’ve used my 7800 with a real Kaboom cart without issue - it’s how I tested it to make sure paddle games worked with it. I’ll check again tonight but I’ve never heard of Kaboom being one of the few 2600 games people have issue with on the 7800 - the ones I hear discussed are generally Dark Caverns and Robot Tank. I don’t have a copy of 2600 Dark Caverns, and Robot Tank works fine on both my 7800’s.

That said, Fred has already said he wants to keep 2600 compatibility and he doesn’t see it as a big deal. We should all just leave him alone to make his vision come to pass. :)

We should all just leave Fred alone to make his vision come to pass. I was not trying to bug Fred I was simply pointing out something I noticed with the hardware of the time that came to pass as were all living in the 70's and early 80's here.

There will be multiple 7800 flashcarts out there, and I am sure each will have its own strengths. Maybe one will play games the other can't and vice versa, or each will have features the other doesn't. And as Concerto will have multiple levels of feature sets and price points, there will be choices even there too.

The way it's currently designed, full 2600 compatibility, including the Melody schemes, are possible on all levels of Concerto. Since they are possible I might as well add these features to the cart. Although this is less important to those who already have Harmony carts, some might buy a Concerto because of it.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2019 at 12:01 PM, RevEng said:

The problem with that, is it means that one of our hardware hobbyists will likely eat a significant monetary loss.

I will definitely buy one of each, if and when they become available. 

Like the SOS Band said....   "Take your time, do it right".   I have 2 7800's that need carts, but I have quite a few retail 7800 games, as well as Raspberry Pi's and EmuHawk with a Bliss Box to use real controllers until such carts are ready.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 7:38 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

I wish there were fewer "inside jokes" about this subject and more just "I'm building this thing, it's not exactly an SD cart but it functions like this..." 

not really sure why everything needs to be all secret squirrel. 

Just tell us what it is, what it does, and when it might possibly be available. 

I got it... it's an ESP8266 based WiFi "Modem" for our favorite Atari consoles and hand-helds!  :) 

On 9/19/2019 at 9:39 PM, CPUWIZ said:

This is what shit looks like, when I don't really have off the shelf solutions.  You have another thing to bitch about now, because of how much is actually going on in that picture, but it is really just a poster, for the next Godzilla movie.  I am sure someone will ask me, if Godzilla will have children this time and if I don't tell, I suck.  Just like all the people that walked around with the secrets of Game Of Thrones for 6 months. 

IMG-6571.JPG

it's obvious from the pic that CPUWiz is building an army of Axlon/Androbot/Atari Androman robots so we can laugh at the Nintendo fanbois and their R.O.B.s. Sure, that dream is 35 years later, but it will still happen! The 2600/5200/7800/A8/Lynx/Jaguar homebrew communities have been provided the coding to embed in their games so the Andromen can respond to the in-game activities while driving around your house and scaring your pets, children, elderly parents, and your Roombas...

On 9/25/2019 at 6:32 AM, DrVenkman said:

I know I’ve used my 7800 with a real Kaboom cart without issue - it’s how I tested it to make sure paddle games worked with it. I’ll check again tonight but I’ve never heard of Kaboom being one of the few 2600 games people have issue with on the 7800 - the ones I hear discussed are generally Dark Caverns and Robot Tank. I don’t have a copy of 2600 Dark Caverns, and Robot Tank works fine on both my 7800’s.

Maybe the real problem with that particular Kaboom is the Activision PCB itself. Crom knows they are just as bad as Tengen's PCBs for their Sega Genesis cartridges...  I had to clean the contacts on my 2600 Activision carts to get them to work and none of my 5200 Activision carts work.

In other news... Thread Klax!

• 3 months later...
On 10/14/2019 at 5:21 PM, Lynxpro said:

44 3/4 here. But I've successfully reversed the aging clock by dating a 24 year old post-divorce...

If only my wallet would bounce back...

I'm only a tad younger than you, and I don't think I could handle dating a post-divorce 24 year old!  Must have more stamina than I do!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, leech said:

Wow... that's amazing!  I'll have to remember that one.

Could I claim I am doing scientific research, by plugging into multiple sources (as many as possible) and trying this hypothesis?  Hell - if this is science, I could apply for a government grant to fund the research.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Could I claim I am doing scientific research, by plugging into multiple sources (as many as possible) and trying this hypothesis?  Hell - if this is science, I could apply for a government grant to fund the research.

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."

• Like 1

I'm only a tad younger than you, and I don't think I could handle dating a post-divorce 24 year old!  Must have more stamina than I do!

I know I couldn’t handle it. I’m having a hard time taking tile out of my house. I’m sure sex 3 times a day would kill me at this point.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...