IGNORED

ColecoVision Pause Mod Kit with Power/Flashing Pause LED - NOW OPEN SOURCE

Ikrananka

I'm pleased to announce that I've made this project open source so that anyone can make a pause mod kit for themselves (or for others).  This is my first GitHub project so sorry of it's a little rough around the edges.  Hopefully I got it right.  Anyway, the repository can be found here:

https://github.com/ikrananka/ColecoVision-Power-Flashing-Pause-LED-Mod

This project is for a complete ColecoVision pause mod kit that when installed provides not only a pause function for ALL your ColecoVision games, but also has a single classic red LED that functions both as a power indicator (LED steady) as well as a pause indicator (LED flashes).  This is an enhanced version of the pause mod that allows you to select the pause LED flashing frequency within the range 0.6 to 3.3 Hz (easily selected during installation).  Here are a few pictures of the mod installed:

DSC03350.thumb.JPG.ffae7a05578094ec8f9d5aaaa526e3e5.JPG DSC03358.thumb.JPG.aa191246f89434b51e4ee1f4627dfaad.JPG

The kit includes everything you need apart from tools and solder (see picture below).  Be aware that to install this mod you need to drill two holes in your ColecoVision (one for the pause switch and the other for the LED) and it does involve soldering wires to the motherboard.  Detailed installation instructions are included in the GitHub repository.  I recommend that you read these to ensure that you're comfortable with the installation process.

DSC03151.thumb.JPG.0417ab3dbdb3305d26c477664069814a.JPG

Also, check out this video which provides a demonstration of the mod as well as information on how to adjust the flashing frequency.  This includes short clips showing the LED flashing over the entire available frequency range.

***** While this project is now open source, I do still have one complete kit available for sale from my last and final batch at US$40 + shipping.  PM me if you're interested. ****

Edited by Ikrananka
Now open source.
  • Like 3

I would have purchased one of these except that I already have power LEDs installed in my CVs. But I actually installed them further over to the left so your PCB wouldn't fit properly in that space on mine anymore. But I did all of that few years back before you designed these. I also use a replacement rocker switch in my CVs that would possibly interfere as well on the underside of the case given where I have my disconnect harness etc. But I really like this and hope you make them available again in the future. Very nice design and kit though!

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2019 at 8:29 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I would have purchased one of these except that I already have power LEDs installed in my CVs. But I actually installed them further over to the left so your PCB wouldn't fit properly in that space on mine anymore. But I did all of that few years back before you designed these. I also use a replacement rocker switch in my CVs that would possibly interfere as well on the underside of the case given where I have my disconnect harness etc. But I really like this and hope you make them available again in the future. Very nice design and kit though!

Thanks for the compliments.  If I do sell out I may be open to taking pre-orders for more.  If they don't sell well here then I may list any remaining on eBay but at US$45 to cover the eBay costs.

Installation instructions updated to v1.1

The only change is to use the WAIT pin of the Z80 CPU to pause the ColecoVision instead of the BUSRQ pin.  Testing with BurgerTime and the AtariMax Ultimate SD cart indicated that using WAIT instead of BUSRQ appeared to be more stable.  Please refer to the changelog in the v1.1 installation instructions for more detail.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To all those who have expressed an interest in buying this mod, both here and by PM, let me first apologise for taking so long to reply.  I've been going through a rather difficult time, my wife is seriously ill, and so spending many hours making more of these mods just wasn't an option.  However, I'm now getting a little more time available again for my favourite hobby and so I can confirm that I will produce another batch of these mods over the next 4 to 8 weeks (depending on parts being available and PCB manufacture/delivery time).  In a day or two I'll update the interest list and will also PM everyone to confirm your continued interest.  One issue I have is sourcing the pause switch which comes from Radio Shack in the US and I am in Canada.  Yurkie had some so I'll try him first but if someone in the US would be willing to buy the switches for me and ship to Canada that would be another option (obviously I'd reimburse for the switches and shipping).

I'm also thinking that this time I'll make the PCBs black, and use black molex connectors, which might be cool looking.  I'll take a poll of those interested in the mod to see what the majority prefer.

• Like 1

Latest list with PM confirmations of interest noted:

1. a2dconverter (confirmed)
  2. mattyv316 (confirmed)
  3. terry266 - no response yet.....
  4. WaveRider1970 (confirmed)
  5. WaveRider1970 (confirmed)
  6. SiLic0ne t0aD (confirmed)
  7. 88mph (confirmed)
  8. mingus (confirmed)
  9. mingus (confirmed)
  10. jkadaver (confirmed)
  11. jkadaver (confirmed)
  12. botsauna (confirmed)

So 10+ kits confirmed.  I'll start ordering parts next week.

Edited by Ikrananka
Added botsauna

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...