Jump to content
discotronic

Another Galaga thread

Recommended Posts

Next, music ... we have

 

1.  Opening music

2.  Challenge stage start

3.  Challenge stage end

4.  Challenge stage perfect

5.  Fighter captured 

6.  Fighter released

7.  Fighter destroyed

8.  High Score entry

9.  Unused tune

 

Will try working these up as I get time

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is likely that it is a very long wait until real progress on a real conversion - is what the situation is.

There is a programmer interested in working on this conversion - who has a real love for the coin-op game - but he is already tied up with various projects.  So you're in for a long wait.  I can't say anything more, than this obscure comment.

 

Harvey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This long awaited game By the community could be finished in a month if the site holds an official programming challenge or contest to finish it, similar to the fewest lines of code game challenge. 

Edited by YSG2020
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, here is the WIP ROM that @playsoft started last year and just never really got going after that, let's see who's willing to take up your challenge, the world awaits!!!

 

 

Galaga.bin

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2021 at 8:05 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

thought he was doing 5200 and A8 in parallel. as was normally the case

Not really. Scramble was done on the 5200 only first.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did nearly everything in parallel by restricting the A8 to only using the first 16K as RAM and not using the O/S. Then it's the same with a few bits of conditional code to handle the controllers/keys differently.

 

Scramble was released on the 5200 first because I'd spent a long time play testing/tuning parameters in NTSC to get to a point where I was reasonably happy with it. I'd not done any play testing in PAL, only sanity tests to make sure the graphics were OK and that it didn't crash. However the game felt very different under the slower PAL frame rate and I couldn't face going through all that play testing again so soon. I released the 5200 version (as it's NTSC only) and thought I would take a break and do something else, maybe return to do the PAL play testing at a later date if there was interest in an A8 version but unfortunately it didn't work out that way.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paul Lay @playsoft, you have really knocked it out of the ballpark (how ironic I say that during the middle of the MLB postseason at that!!!) with these builds of Galaga, these are far better than that "Galaga" titled game that is currently circulating around the 8-bit community right now. TWO BIG THUMBS UP!!! Now more than ever these builds have gotta be worked on to completion!!!

 

Now also, if @Thelen can come up with that improved version of his brilliant 2009 work "Yar's Strike" he wanted (and that my review on it inspired him to come up with, as I love it for Big Sexy, as it has become one of my favorite games on her) to do (and for you to port it over to the 5200, I'm sure you two can team up on it, that's up to you guys on that one) in which you ported for all of us 5200 owners, that would be the icing on the cake for the XEGS and then it's just "wait and see" if the Mean Hamster lineup of titles (and all the other 5200-only homebrews also) will ever be ported over and also if Keithen Hayenga will ever make Tempest available for the XEGS but at least I also own a 5200 to play those on as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2021 at 5:35 AM, playsoft said:

I was. These appear to be the last A8 builds.

 

Wow, this is looking really good! Very much look forward to seeing it completed.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, eegad said:

Wow, this is looking really good! Very much look forward to seeing it completed.

 

Myself as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2021 at 5:35 AM, playsoft said:

Just GREAT !!!

 

Already better-looking than C64, better color, very fluid (NTSC), and very convincing audio (arcade-like) on game-start !

 

If this keeps going like this, it will be a TOTAL hit!!!!!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2021 at 5:24 AM, playsoft said:

I did nearly everything in parallel by restricting the A8 to only using the first 16K as RAM and not using the O/S. Then it's the same with a few bits of conditional code to handle the controllers/keys differently.

 

Scramble was released on the 5200 first because I'd spent a long time play testing/tuning parameters in NTSC to get to a point where I was reasonably happy with it. I'd not done any play testing in PAL, only sanity tests to make sure the graphics were OK and that it didn't crash. However the game felt very different under the slower PAL frame rate and I couldn't face going through all that play testing again so soon. I released the 5200 version (as it's NTSC only) and thought I would take a break and do something else, maybe return to do the PAL play testing at a later date if there was interest in an A8 version but unfortunately it didn't work out that way.

 

Alright; I had thought the A8 version of Scramble was just converted -- when things were spurred on by Homesoft doing a 5200 -> A8 conversion (obviously before you had a chance to finish up your already-in-the-bag A8 version). I guess people get a little impatient, especially when it comes to high-quality productions like these.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2021 at 8:44 AM, Jaden (JRH) said:

You might be interested in this. For inspiration, maybe.

Inspiration? No, sir, but it does mean that the Atari has to have Galaga now. I know that the Atari can do better in terms of sound effects (the awful SID sound effects just can't match up to the POKEY or even TIA), and graphics too. They 1-uped us before with Super Mario Bros, and we have demos of both Mario and Galaga for the A8 - just need them to be turned into real games. The demos for both look and sound amazing, almost as good as the source material, with Galaga even one-upping the 7800 version.

Edited by NoBloodyXLOrE
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2021 at 4:35 AM, playsoft said:

Excellent work here.  Looking forward for the finished product.

 

Your work on Scramble was excellent btw.  Thanks for all your contributions to the Atari community.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NoBloodyXLOrE said:

Inspiration? No, sir, but it does mean that the Atari has to have Galaga now. I know that the Atari can do better in terms of sound effects (the awful SID sound effects just can't match up to the POKEY or even TIA), and graphics too. They 1-uped us before with Super Mario Bros, and we have demos of both Mario and Galaga for the A8 - just need them to be turned into real games. The demos for both look and sound amazing, almost as good as the source material, with Galaga even one-upping the 7800 version.

With all respect to Sid, Pokey is better for its 4 channels although the first one has more technology in mixng sounds. Anyway, Pokey rules because its sound is clearer. Pokey rules !!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having played both the 8-bit/5200 and 7800 versions this one is far superior to the 7800, but if you guys think this is something else then check out Galagon for the 2600 that @johnnywc and the folks at Champ Games put out for the 2600, it'll amaze you what they were able to do with that one, I even reviewed it on the 2600 Edition of The Atari Report in a previous episode. I'll post the link and the video for it later on on this thread.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not done anything with the demo since it was originally posted, other than to include the music posted by Jaden and Synthpopalooza. I had planned to investigate what I could do for the expanding formation but ran out of time as I wanted to complete Runner Bear for the 2020 New Year Disk. After that I totally lost interest in 5200/A8 programming, it seemed to become a chore rather than a rewarding pastime. Later, Darryl got me interested in the 7800 after seeing what he had achieved with Popeye. I've enjoyed looking at different hardware and have started a couple of 7800 projects.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ALEXANDER said:

With all respect to Sid, Pokey is better for its 4 channels although the first one has more technology in mixng sounds. Anyway, Pokey rules because its sound is clearer. Pokey rules !!!

Amen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...