IGNORED

"SURVIVAL KIT" zippered pouch from Activision

JayAre

I recently acquired this pouch from a former Activision employee, who worked at the company during the early 80s.  The pouch is empty, but I assume that it originally came with all sorts of knick knacks inside.  This appears to be a promo item.  Associated with Pitfall maybe?

I've looked online but can't find any information about it.  Does anyone know anything about this item?  Thanks.

image.thumb.png.91d74605d503996bfea71a82d66425b0.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayAre said:

I recently acquired this pouch from a former Activision employee, who worked at the company during the early 80s.  The pouch is empty, but I assume that it originally came with all sorts of knick knacks inside.  This appears to be a promo item.  Associated with Pitfall maybe?

I've looked online but can't find any information about it.  Does anyone know anything about this item?  Thanks.

Wow, you manage to find some of the coolest stuff. I’m jealous. Seriously though this is something I’ve never seen or heard of. Maybe someone else has???

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JayAre said:

If it came from an employee it’s also possible it’s a prototype that never went public, seeing as this is the first anyone’s heard of it. 

• Thanks 1

Just a thought: since this came from an employee, perhaps it wasn't produced in conjunction with a game but was rather something for working at Activision? Like, a 'getting started' orientation packet given to new hires, with that "survival kit" branding being tongue-in-cheek? Maybe it included some notes or whatever tools someone might have needed to get started with whatever they were doing? Maybe it was for interns?

I have no idea if Activision would have done something quirky like that strictly for in-house or not, so I could be way off on this (and I probably am), but it's just something that popped into my head.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guys, thanks so much for the comments.  Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

5 hours ago, Swami said:

If it came from an employee it’s also possible it’s a prototype that never went public, seeing as this is the first anyone’s heard of it. 

I hadn't thought of that, Swami.  It may very well be the case.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, jhd said:

Is there by any chance a tag inside identifying who manufactured this item? That may provide a basis for further research. 

There is, JHD.  It says "University Place Clothing Co., N.Y."  Thanks for the suggestion.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 1:45 PM, King Atari said:

Just a thought: since this came from an employee, perhaps it wasn't produced in conjunction with a game but was rather something for working at Activision? Like, a 'getting started' orientation packet given to new hires, with that "survival kit" branding being tongue-in-cheek? Maybe it included some notes or whatever tools someone might have needed to get started with whatever they were doing? Maybe it was for interns?

I have no idea if Activision would have done something quirky like that strictly for in-house or not, so I could be way off on this (and I probably am), but it's just something that popped into my head.

King, that's an interesting possibility.  Could be.

I don't suppose the pouch was actually used by employees to take check deposits to the bank, since this is what these pouches were normally used for.  Although, if it was used for this purpose, why would they bother to put the company's name and "SURVIVAL KIT" on it?  Who knows.

On 9/20/2019 at 2:43 AM, high voltage said:

Get in touch with David Crane or the Kitchen guys, Dan's here on AA is just doing a follow-up to Keystone Kapers. They are all very approachable

HV, thanks for the suggestion.  I went ahead and sent messages to David Crane and Dan Kitchen.  If I hear anything from them, I'll be sure to update the thread.

Edited by JayAre

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone!  I hope all of you are staying safe and healthy these days.

That "survival kit" pouch was distributed to all Activision employees attending the Pitfall release party at the June 1982 CES in Chicago.  The party was named the Activision "Rumble in the Jungle" and was held in the grand ballroom and multiple additional ballrooms of The Ritz-Carlton Hotel.  I can't begin to describe how big that party was.  We had three bands playing simultaneously, dozens of party-style midway games scattered around, multiple open bars, LIVE animals in cages hanging from the ceiling and hundreds upon hundreds of attendees.  Every Activision's CES party were THE event to attend if you could get in.

As I recall, the pouch contained:

- our badge to get into the party

- an Instamatic camera 

- coupons for the Midway Games

It was truly a once-in-a-lifetime event!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, TikiDan said:

Hi everyone!  I hope all of you are staying safe and healthy these days.

That "survival kit" pouch was distributed to all Activision employees attending the Pitfall release party at the June 1982 CES in Chicago.  The party was named the Activision "Rumble in the Jungle" and was held in the grand ballroom and multiple additional ballrooms of The Ritz-Carlton Hotel.  I can't begin to describe how big that party was.  We had three bands playing simultaneously, dozens of party-style midway games scattered around, multiple open bars, LIVE animals in cages hanging from the ceiling and hundreds upon hundreds of attendees.  Every Activision's CES party were THE event to attend if you could get in.

As I recall, the pouch contained:

- our badge to get into the party

- an Instamatic camera 

- coupons for the Midway Games

It was truly a once-in-a-lifetime event!

Dan, thanks so much for your kind response.  I really appreciate your sharing these details.  The information is fascinating.  What an amazing party!  It's great to finally get to the bottom of this.  Thanks again.

You stay safe also, as well as all AtariAge members.