IGNORED

GBA SP: Batteries run on magic!

zzip

While cleaning up,  we dug up a few GBA Advance SP clamshells that have not been used in maybe 10 years since my kids were little.   Turned them on and was amazed they still had power!   I always knew they could go a very long time between charges when you play them, but they hold a charge in storage a very long time too.   Everything else seems to drain over time. 

I've wondered this as well.  I've come across enough second hand systems (SP or later) that clearly haven't been on that long as you all said (decade +/-) and they still have a charge because some had a game or two and you can go by the save dates on there.  Also the same rule applies to their handheld wireless controller batteries too.  Look how long the Wii/U and Switch line of pro controllers hold out as it's nuts.  It makes you really want to know what they're doing, like are they grinding up unicorn horn to power the things?  You see how crappy the life is on the MS and Sony stock controllers, then Nintendo rolls out something of comparable size/function (if not more like with the amiibo readers and all that) and they last like what 40 hours?  It makes you wonder if maybe that's why their controllers tend to cost a bit more.  People complain, then they drool over not having to charge the things every day.

I hadn't used my DS Lite in a year and fired it up for the first time again last week. Powered up just fine, spent about an hour playing it. Light is still green. I'm always impressed at how well these things hold up.

My PSP on the other hand, that sucker will sit dormant for a couple weeks and will be drained completely by the end of it (maybe faster, ha).

• Like 1

My GBA SP was behind my bed for months (maybe longer) and when I found it was fully charged. Also charged my DS and it has at least a weeks worth if battery life. Nintendo must put cocaine in their batteries.

I think it's better charge controllers, and physical power switches. Rechargeable batteries do drain regardless, but when unplugged from their device, they can hold a charge for years. Those "always on" devices are always sucking power, so run down faster. Don't know how long it takes to die, as it's my current favorite toy, but switch will loose power enough if off for a week to put a (small) dent in the battery indicator.

• Thanks 1