IGNORED

***New Game*** Oof Rescue!

bpharoah

Hi All,

I've been trying to get brave enough to stick this game out into the ether. So here I am taking the plunge!

It's basically my own take of the 8-bit game, Nadral. I did this purely for the pleasure of it (!) and to further my batariBasic skills. I didn't actually have any intention of sharing it with the world, but I figure nobody has tried to cram this game in to the Atari 2600 before! So it's not exactly a polished release...

The game is called Oof Rescue! for reasons which I have explained in my blog. I hope it's okay to link to it from here?
The binary is at the bottom of the blog: https://www.bpharoah.co.uk/oof-rescue/

Despite my best efforts to crunch the bytes down, I've pretty much filled up all the banks available. So the enemy AI is very basic. However, I did cram in 6 enemies, 25 maps, 8 levels and 412 rooms - so I'm pleased with that!

Please be gentle with me!

Edit: I've just got this working with Stellerator in the browser: Play Oof Rescue!

oofescape.bas.bin

oofrescuetitle.jpg

Edited by bpharoah
Added binary to download direct from this post.
  • Like 4

I'm not familiar with the original game, and I also can't get to your site. It seems to play pretty well, though I'd probably get a bit more out of it if I knew what the premise or goal was. It seems that I should shoot anything moving, the question marks could be good or bad, and the lightning bolt is good to get.

I noticed in Stella that your scanline count isn't consistent. One frame out of several will jump up to 284 scanlines instead of the usual 262. That means you are using too many cycles in certain places in your code. It's not every frame, so it's not something that you are doing every time that is causing it to go over.

8 hours ago, Karl G said:

I'm not familiar with the original game, and I also can't get to your site. It seems to play pretty well, though I'd probably get a bit more out of it if I knew what the premise or goal was. It seems that I should shoot anything moving, the question marks could be good or bad, and the lightning bolt is good to get.

I noticed in Stella that your scanline count isn't consistent. One frame out of several will jump up to 284 scanlines instead of the usual 262. That means you are using too many cycles in certain places in your code. It's not every frame, so it's not something that you are doing every time that is causing it to go over.

Yeah the original was quite odd. Similar to Shamus in a way. The idea in the original is to rescue your little helicopter pal on each level. In this one you rescue an Oof (which is basically what my son has named these little stuffed toys he has - I think they're actually Puffles from Club Disney!)

So in a nutshell, on each level you have to find the keys, unlock the doors and rescue an Oof. The question marks are random bonuses, but you can also lose points, so it's a bit of a lottery. Shoot everything else. The lamps will kill all the enemies if you shoot them. You get a maximum of 4 lives. The pulsating things are extra lives, but you'll get points instead if you already have 4 lives. Energy bolts will boost your energy - blue ones give you a little boost, yellow give you a full boost. Keys will only work with locks of the same colour. Keys will also boost your energy level to maximum. If you hit F4 (black & white switch) you will start from where you last got killed (and all collected items remain collected) - until it's game over. In normal mode you go back to the start of the level each time and all items are reset.

As for the scanlines... Yeah there's lots going on. The count probably goes up when you shoot an enemy I imagine. Let's not look at the cycle count!

I've got my best people helping me fix the website. Some people can access it, some can't - which isn't ideal.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1