IGNORED

So ... Super PacMan is actually from 1984, just not released officially at the time...

Giles N

... according to a source...

...but wasn’t released at the time due to business and economic concerns...

... and it looks very nice indeed!!

Anyone played it?

Do you like it?

Is it good?

What will you give it from 1-10?

I plan to get this sometime in future...

(And how to get it on a cart?)

F28C4C47-75BD-43FA-8C3B-C4D4A7EA13D2.png

A4F078D3-DDE2-4F69-BA32-D1682927326D.png

05292019-08EB-470D-A255-9F332075419A.png

4079D0B9-12AE-4BCD-8F4F-5E2B0A981D0E.png

0D389890-385F-45CB-9132-2B687C9361BD.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

It looks and sounds very nice, but isn't close to as refined in AI and control as it's coin-op big brother. 

Hm, ok, but the 5200 is ‘82-‘84 homeconsole; can it be expected to be ‘arcade-perfect’?

Is worth having in a 5200 game collection?

Edited by Giles N

I've always enjoyed Super Pac-Man.  In fact, even though it was never officially released, it was the only one of the four Pac-Man games for the Atari 800/5200 that I had as a kid; we happened to get it in an assortment of (mostly pirated) software for the Atari 800 that some relatives collected from bulletin boards in the mid-80s.  He's very busy at the moment, but I'm sure that Albert can help you obtain it on cartridge from the AtariAge store.

I never got to play the original coin-op versions of most of the arcade games that were ported to the 800 and 5200 back in the day, so I could only judge these arcade ports by their own merits.  I've had many hours of fun with them, and I still find that most of them hold up just fine, so beyond a certain minimal level of fidelity, I'm not too concerned about how closely they simulate the arcade originals.  As long as they're well-made and fun to play, who cares?  The 5200 version of Super Pac-Man is identical to the 800 version, and handles very well even with the stock CX-52 joysticks.

I love Super Pacman, and the 5200 port is really good, except for the fact that it controls really badly with the stock 5200 joysticks, at least for me.  I don't have any difficulty with the other Pacman games on the system, just this one.

I opted for Bob's excellent 7800 version instead, but if you don't have a 7800 and can deal with the controller issues, the 5200 port is probably worth getting.

1 hour ago, AverageSoftware said:

I love Super Pacman, and the 5200 port is really good, except for the fact that it controls really badly with the stock 5200 joysticks, at least for me.  I don't have any difficulty with the other Pacman games on the system, just this one.

I opted for Bob's excellent 7800 version instead, but if you don't have a 7800 and can deal with the controller issues, the 5200 port is probably worth getting.

I have both 5200 and 7800 consoles.

I also have some optional joysticks for the 5200. 

But thanks for letting me know.

I plan on getting this ‘famed’ PacMan Collection for the 7800 one day, just need to let there be some bucks left in my wallet.

Edited by Giles N

48 minutes ago, Linndrum said:

Wasn't Super Pacman one of the games that they made carts for the wrong version of the game? I think SuperPac and Robotron suffered from this if my memory is right.

EDIT: Aahh found this: http://www.dadhacker.com/blog/?p=695

I’ve at least ordered Super Pac Man; looking forward to test it.

I have Robotron 2084; never heard anything else than that it is regarded as being among the 69 titles ‘officially’ released during the period when Atari continued the 5200.

5200 Super Pac used to be my favorite port of the game, but after playing copious amounts of it during HSC, it's problems became pretty glaring. The AI needs so much work this is probably what ultimately kept the game from getting a retail release. This version also shows the limitations of the 5200 color palette. I'd have to give the edge to the 7800 now as far as ports go.

21 hours ago, Giles N said:

I’ve at least ordered Super Pac Man; looking forward to test it.

I have Robotron 2084; never heard anything else than that it is regarded as being among the 69 titles ‘officially’ released during the period when Atari continued the 5200.

If I remember right, they had to hand solder resistors onto the the Robotron carts to fix a bug because they used the wrong version instead of the final source for them.

On 9/19/2019 at 5:57 AM, AtariKid81 said:

Super Pac-Man is extremely well made. I consider one of the best arcade ports for the system - too bad it was never released. 

Yes, it is worth adding to your collection. Unlike a lot of unreleased Atari games, it plays flawlessly. 

I really look forward to try it out when I get it in the mail.

On 9/22/2019 at 2:16 PM, Nuclear Pacman said:

5200 Super Pac used to be my favorite port of the game, but after playing copious amounts of it during HSC, it's problems became pretty glaring. The AI needs so much work this is probably what ultimately kept the game from getting a retail release. This version also shows the limitations of the 5200 color palette. I'd have to give the edge to the 7800 now as far as ports go.

The 7800 version, is that a separate title, of part of PacMan collection?

37 minutes ago, Giles N said:

The 7800 version, is that a separate title, of part of PacMan collection?

Separate. Pac-Man Collection has original Pac-Man, and Ms. Pac-Man with variants for both those games, such as Pac-Man Plus, speed boost, and extra mazes. All options at your choosing. Super Pac-Man is a separate game, as well as Jr. Pac-Man.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Nuclear Pacman said:

Separate. Pac-Man Collection has original Pac-Man, and Ms. Pac-Man with variants for both those games, such as Pac-Man Plus, speed boost, and extra mazes. All options at your choosing. Super Pac-Man is a separate game, as well as Jr. Pac-Man.

Ok, thanks!

Do you know where I get them?

20 minutes ago, Giles N said:

But did/does it make it un-playable, or just a tad difficult?

Well of course it's still playable.. but it just sucks because the ghosts don't stay blue as long as they should, to match the arcade game's default settings. :) 

There are hacks out there though for it. e.g. 

SuperPacMan(Adj.Bluetime2chiphack).bin

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NE146 said:

Well of course it's still playable.. but it just sucks because the ghosts don't stay blue as long as they should, to match the arcade game's default settings. :) 

There are hacks out there though for it. e.g. 

SuperPacMan(Adj.Bluetime2chiphack).bin 16 kB · 1 download

Well, I have ordered a version, dunno if its a hack or ‘original’.

I’ll try it out and see what I think, but thanks for info!

Here are the eBay pictures from the seller:

A6A17BB5-5EDE-40EF-977F-C3D8974CA46F.jpeg

D7E950C1-FDDD-4084-98DE-CDDD819A852F.jpeg

Edited by Giles N

So, got Super PacMan in the mail today.

Had a few goes at it when I had time.

Haven’t played it far, but first-impressions:

Graphichs: 9/10

Sound: 8/10

Playability: 8,5/10

Lastability: unsure, but approximate 7/10

Amusementability: 8/0

Overall (including capturing coin-opish overall feel, integration of elements, presentation and attention to detail):

9/10

Played with:

Wico

Modded Neo Geo Arcade stick 

7B946643-C484-4B88-A44B-790CE59F12B7.jpeg

3E546CF5-63E2-42C6-BD10-2AA6B781BA36.jpeg

CDB01D61-877F-4489-9A5F-A0BFBA08D8D4.jpeg

3DF34BE6-7597-4718-B31D-511E6DC582B6.jpeg

BA2E7205-23A0-43C1-BED8-47E67EC7E211.jpeg

5293D8B1-6D8A-4299-ADE1-1FD72C0D7445.jpeg

71FE6FF6-0E59-41AE-96C2-01D146A5D1E8.jpeg

• Like 2