IGNORED

Idea for homebrew title that 7800-homebrew dev. may consider to produce: Pac Land 1984

Giles N

2 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

I have had difficulty combining TIA and Pokey sound, as doing all 6 channels each frame seems to run out of time.  I know I'm doing something wrong, as I'm certain Commando does all 6 channels.

Anyway, my new job has me learning a bunch of stuff I've never worked on before (Dell 'Boomi' being one of them, although that seems straight forward), so I've been concentrating on that.

Bob

In addition, Arkanoid uses pokey and tia, tho the tia and pokey use seperate sound routines.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest had a background of 160A (3 color), while the sprites are 160B (12 color).  There are two sizes of sprites (8x16 and 8x32).  The backgrounds are all 16x16.

12 colors  :D  !!! I just needed 1 more,

now we are talking..

Edited by TIX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Defender_2600 said:

Just remember that the palette is shared with all the sprites  and you have 2 frames for each sprite / enemy.

It's all primary colors anyway, so with black/white plus 10 individual colors we can have a beautiful pacland !

On the other hand the 2 frame animation will hurt pacmans fluid motion and reduce it to a jerk.. :sad:

though only pacman will suffer, the others will be fine !

Heavily compromised but still doable :)

pacman.running.8x32(2frames).png.4bb9e180ee8e152360135dac1afa7d35.png

running8x32(2frames).gif.74f84a7f595398a8ce25902ba8867c49.gif

Edited by TIX
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2019 at 10:59 PM, TIX said:

Ghost on a spring joins the group (I don't know who he is)

blinky-airborne8x32.gif.75658f3dd1bca5cc517581046fa07409.gif      inky-car_8x32.gif.69ccc4cb3df51b11fb0fd60d75063a16.gif     102992908_ghostonaspring.gif.5afcd7446ed15ddb61217e02fa9e4f20.gif 

I put all your sprites in a playable level.

If you have more to add...just post them

and i will use them.....

It will be a lot of work,to make

a Pacland homebrew but it is worth to 

work on it....i also used Clyde.

Although it is an easy sprite,he looks

very well in the game.

I will post,what i have so far tomorrow.

greetings Walter

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Giles N said:

gambler172

I think it all may get a more consistent look if you go with TIX’ graphics, but now you at least can choose.

(and since I started the thread I sort of ‘owe it’ to come with some input now and again).

Hi Giles

i use your CLYDE sprite too....it is simple,but looks cool ?

• Thanks 1

Hi Guys,especially for Tix and Giles

here is a first easy WIP of a playable first Level....The Titlescreen can be changed in an easy way...I adde the sprites in the Bentley engine...they look very well.

Do not care about my Pac Man sprite....it is not perfect,but i wanted it with HAT.

It can be changed .....Hardest enemy is CLYDE...very easy sprite,but Looks good

and is hard to beat.Backgrounds can be changed aswell.What i Need.....

I can only continue work on this,if there is enough interest.....

Have a look at my Asterix hack,based on Bentley....then you can see,what is possible....Then i would nee the help from TIX and GILES......maybe SYNTHPOPALOOZA could add Music in a finished Project??

I could Need more enemies.....they Need not to be from PACLAND,but they should fit in the Scenario.....I Need a Boss enemy.....

I Need a MS PAC MAN sprite....8x15......for the beginning....maybe a PAC BABY also.....

here is the file.....enjoy.....

i will continue on this...only with your help

The game will be HOMEBREW PACLAND...not original...so we can add,

what we want and it will be based on the old BENTLEY engine....

greetings Walter

Bentley.a78

Edited by gambler172
  • Like 1

Very nice man !

Unfortunately as much as I want to, I can't help further as I have TOO many ongoing projects  :sad:

I didn't know about these 'engines' on the 7800.. very useful for us no programmers !

Maybe I come back later on, to create a game out of this engine !!

Good luck on your project.

If it comes along ok, I will add the music in.  It will need to be retooled to fit into the game's format tho.  Break time music won't change.  But the level music will need to be redone to 3 8-bit channels as in the original Bentley Bear game.

Also, the arcade high score music can be repurposed as the title music.

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 11:56 PM, Shawn said:

FYI, Non-programmers peddling game ideas has a long standing reputation of being highly frowned upon here on AtariAge. Everyone has a dream title. You want it programmed? Learn to code is the best way to see your dream come true. That or get ready to pay A LOT of money for someone else to code your dream into reality for you. Over the years, this sort of thing has been beat to death many times over. 

It's absurd that people get this response when mentioning a new game or a port! I have seen this said many times on here. It's not "peddling" game ideas as you said. Its people who would like new games or ports of games on the 7800! It's not like we can run out and buy a new game for the 7800 at the local store! Did you ever think that there is a reason why "this sort of thing has been beat to death many times over?" I have spent lots of money here at Atari Age buying home brews, so has my wife on many Christmas's getting me games! I own a auto body shop, What if I told every customer that came in to " learn to fix your car your self" or "Get ready to pay a lot of money for me to do it!" Or what if the doctor told you to "learn to do surgery your self"? We all know it takes time, money and effort to program and write a game, Atari Age is the only place for "Non-Programmers" to turn! I joined Atari Age to have a place to turn for new games and Atari info and the many problems we face with the consoles, I thought it was a community of Atari Aficionados to help and share idea's, seems like that's not the case when it comes to new game ideas! Many people have wonderful ideas for new games and reworks of older games, the official list of released games for the 7800 is very small! some of us have played them all! it's time for the new ones to came. Don't be so obtuse to new ideas! Not trying to piss off anyone but I grew up with the 7800 in fact it was my first system, I still have and play the same one I got in 1987! It's just my two cents!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dodge ramman said:

"learn to fix your car your self"

I'll prefix this by saying I don't want to start an argument and my intention is only to help in understanding why someone might be irked by these sorts of threads.

I think a closer analogy would be if you were putting a lot of effort into making your dream kit-car, a real labour of love that's eaten years of your life, and somebody said "That's a nice car, wouldn't it be cool if you made this other car afterwards?". It's a perfectly reasonable thing to say, but it could come across as insensitive. That is the closest word I can think to describe it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SmittyB said:

I'll prefix this by saying I don't want to start an argument and my intention is only to help in understanding why someone might be irked by these sorts of threads.

I think a closer analogy would be if you were putting a lot of effort into making your dream kit-car, a real labour of love that's eaten years of your life, and somebody said "That's a nice car, wouldn't it be cool if you made this other car afterwards?". It's a perfectly reasonable thing to say, but it could come across as insensitive. That is the closest word I can think to describe it.

You are perfectly correct in your point! But having said that look at it this way, I'm a body man, not a mechanic, so I leave the deep engine, and drive train work up to someone else. I can do all paint and body work and have a show car roller, But if you want a big engine and nice drive train then that is up to someone else! See this is the same thing, we come up with the ideas and the game play (body men) and then turn to you programmers the (mechanics or under the hood) guys to finish the job and make it a running machine! It's the same as if you wrote and programmed a game and loaded it to a E PROM and needed the carts and pc boards to put them in! You are not going to be able to make the cart's and roms, Etc.you would have to order them. Its the same here, We all need each other, Get my point? 

Edited by dodge ramman
added more content

After building a ffr cobra with my brother which was his dream car in the late 80s. Spending over 75k in parts and building it all without anyones help. People say things like" oh its a kit?" Or "why did you use those gears?" There will always people ignorant people that know nothing of any subject. 

It seems programmers can find people to help as they have the inner circle groups. 

Maybe a thread on art, sound, level design would be good. Where people showcase their work and ideas and maybe programmer looking for.... then the best for each project could come together.  Maybe a game development resource topic.