IGNORED

Idea for homebrew title that 7800-homebrew dev. may consider to produce: Pac Land 1984

Giles N

-What is the number background-tiles can use at each level?

Colours for each World (a set of stages using the same tile)

- how many parallaxes each level?

(limitations?)

- how many of TIXs sprites can be used right, left, up, down... (not changing colours or frames),

- how much space left for other things??

I'm not working on Pac-Land anymore. At least, not for now. I have a ton of other projects that I'm working on and Pac-Land is not something I really care about at the moment. I don't know why you guys feel like you need my approval to keep working on your game. Nobody's stopping you from doing a Bentley hack. I personally thought that the plan would be to make an actual port of Pac-Land, with all the arcade mechanics. And Bentley would just be used to help get things started. But if you guys really want to do nothing more than a Bentley hack, then do it. Just please stop pinging me. Pac-Land is not on my to-do list right now.

Dang.  I was hoping to see Pac-Land on this platform.  Maybe someday.  Maybe some wizard will put a Raspberry Pi on a 7800 cart board, run the arcade ROM and pump out the frames and sound, and somehow handle the controller I/O, pushing the limits of what we'd consider a platform-specific title.

I'd still buy it.  heh.

Hell, I'd buy two... (wouldn't you?)

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 8:56 PM, Jaden (JRH) said:

I'm not working on Pac-Land anymore. At least, not for now. I have a ton of other projects that I'm working on and Pac-Land is not something I really care about at the moment. I don't know why you guys feel like you need my approval to keep working on your game. Nobody's stopping you from doing a Bentley hack. I personally thought that the plan would be to make an actual port of Pac-Land, with all the arcade mechanics. And Bentley would just be used to help get things started. But if you guys really want to do nothing more than a Bentley hack, then do it. Just please stop pinging me. Pac-Land is not on my to-do list right now.

FYI, Some folk(s) in this thread where not looking for your approval but actually calling you out for being all talk.

I didn't get that from their posts, but okay.

To be real, I tried to stay away from this thread because I really didn't like how cluttered it was. I didn't even do much with the game, other than adding TIX's sprites into it. I know that at the time I wanted to do a full on port of Pac-Land, but interests change sometimes and I stopped caring about the project. Just the fact that I was constantly being pinged when I wasn't even doing anything really bothered me. But honestly, I probably should've made that more clear. Sorry for that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

Pac Land... One of those games I've "tried" to like...just don't care for it. As long as we are dreaming I would rather see Pacmania (if even possible)

You're not alone there, I'm not fond of Pac-Land either and I have it for TG-16 anyway.  Pacmania is an amazing game, though graphically would need to be reduced for the 7800.  If we wanted to port more platformers to the 7800 there's gotta be better sourced games. 

• Like 1

PacLand would have been the signature platformer for the 7800. As it is, Bentley Bear filled this void remarkably well and is an excellent platformer, standing heads and shoulders above anything else available on the ProSystem.

PacLand has so much going for it, 100% informing (and pre-dating) the design of Super Mario Brothers in so many ways. Shigeru Miyamoto himself acknowledged as much, and it should be evident to any gamer playing the game itself. Add to this that the main character himself is synonymous with Atari (and more specifically the 7800) and it's clear that if a port was going to be made, it should be an actual port of PacLand and not some half-baked skin of another game altogether.

16 hours ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

I really enjoy Pac-Land myself, but I'd be more excited about a Pac-Mania conversion than a Pac-Land one. And Pac & Pal shouldn't even be bothered with.

You are right....Pacmania is better....i never understand,why people like Pacland.....a really stupid game,where you loose lots of money in the

Arcade halls.Pac and Pal is also great.

Well, - so, this is not an attempt to get people (further) into something they do not have a drive for, but as this thread developed, grew, - and it came to light that we just don’t have a programmer - I began thinking that a Pac-World (yes, using the Bentley Bear Engine, since Bentley Bear is solidly made, throughout quality) could be the thing, and try to include - in new and creative ways - the possible elements/parameters, already given and possible with Bentley Bear.

And... I do think that with novel and creative level-designs, good use of the hat-power-up, level-layouts taking inspiration both from the original Pac-Land (town, forest, mountain, castle), but also adding new concepts like Pac-Maze platform world, etc, - it could become more than just a Bentley-hack.

Why shouldn’t we be able to have Pac-Man run on top of Town Roofs, be able to collect power-pills (ie hats), many times a level, make labyrintine castles, ... and work to get visual of the background to shine as much as Bentley Bear - multiple parallaxes, bright colours, stylized cartoony background and all...?

Again, if people here feel its not worth it, it can’t be done etc, I really do respect that, but the above were my ideas concerning where a Pac-World Platformer could have gone.

All good to you all,

And all efforts and constructive inputs have been appreciated; I have learnt stuff, and for me just learning in itself is valuable.

Edited by Giles N

If anyone here are into doing a Pac-World game-design, - using the parameters given in Bentley Bear - but with novelty; please do post your input of graphic, sound, level-layout, background-design, playability-ideas here... 

Even using the Bentley Bear-Engine, - novel designs may work wonders ...

On 6/24/2020 at 1:34 AM, Giles N said:

If anyone here are into doing a Pac-World game-design, - using the parameters given in Bentley Bear - but with novelty; please do post your input of graphic, sound, level-layout, background-design, playability-ideas here... 

Even using the Bentley Bear-Engine, - novel designs may work wonders ...

The project is not dead.....but it takes a lot of time....at the moment the 1st world is done...

2nd world can be played till 5th level.......

i do not post anything.....until world 2 is done....

i have enough graphics for world 2......i will

post ...if i need something.....

As different background-tile-sets as possible for each different World would be nice.

One Boss (the Armoured thingy) should be kept for the final

battle, applying the sub-boss (the super-spook) as end-of-World bosses until last World...

Fair ‘noug; my opinion...

On 6/18/2020 at 3:06 PM, Crazy Climber said:

Pac Land... One of those games I've "tried" to like...just don't care for it. As long as we are dreaming I would rather see Pacmania (if even possible)

I don't see why not.  The C64 pulled off a pretty good port of Pacmania.  In fact, I would say that almost any arcade port is possible depending on how much you are willing to sacrifice.

Pacmania would absolutely have to be a pokey game though.  Pacmania isn't Pacmania without the music.

• Like 1