IGNORED

s-drive max set up help please

traindriver69

Hi all

just received the bits to make a s-drive max for my atari 800 but I cant get the touchscreen to work the aduino programmed fine and it comes up with the x calibrabration but nothing happens when I touch the screen I have included pictures of my device any help would be much appreciated and I am a novice so please be gentle.

Many Thanks

IMG_20190919_113411[1].jpg

IMG_20190919_113426[1].jpg

IMG_20190919_113433[1].jpg

Sounds like you don’t have the correct driver for your touchscreen. Can you identify what kind of screen it is? If you can figure out which one you hav, and if there’s a driver file for it in the current SDrive-MAX release, you need to ensure you flash your UNO with that set of hex files. If you flash the device with the wrong files the screen will be unresponsive or corrupted or otherwise nonfunctional, as in your situation. 

That screen doesn't work, I did the same and spent hours trying to fix before I realised I needed an IL9341 which I later bought from Amazon

This is the one I bought https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C3RDFN6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tho you may be able to get it cheaper elsewhere

38 minutes ago, xrbrevin said:

i think IL9329 driver should work with that screen

I'd be surprised if it does unless its a an updated driver (bought mine earley March this year), I tried them all with that screen, all I could do with any of the drivers

is get to the calibration screen, if that worked, just a blank screen after that.

I did mess about with some code to see if I could get it working, but the outputs of that screen (if memory serves me right) top = bottom and left = right

so everything is upside down and back to front

1 hour ago, xrbrevin said:

a8isa1 posted that it worked fine for him in this post:

it might be worth a PM to him or liaise within that topic? maybe the hex file just needs a minor tweak?

hope this helps!

That's not the same LCD. The one the OP posted an image of has the "Palm Pilot" stylus buttons on the screen. The one you linked to does not.

On 9/19/2019 at 6:38 AM, traindriver69 said:

Hi all

just received the bits to make a s-drive max for my atari 800 but I cant get the touchscreen to work the aduino programmed fine and it comes up with the x calibrabration but nothing happens when I touch the screen I have included pictures of my device any help would be much appreciated and I am a novice so please be gentle.

Many Thanks

IMG_20190919_113426[1].jpg

IMG_20190919_113433[1].jpg

Your screen appears to be the same one shown in this video.  Based on your description I think the problem is the same one too.  You can skip to about 7:20 to see to assembly and the display and skip to 9:55 to see the issue.

The video's creator posted comments. 

-SteveS

On 9/19/2019 at 7:00 AM, NISMOPC said:

Those mcufriend screens seem to cause more trouble then it's worth. I have two that are worthless and not usable with any of the drivers. Ended up with two ILI9341's and they work flawlessly.

Qualified yes. I've used that exact display and it works fine. Problems are similar to people saying our Atari RS232 pin out is non standard: They say the IBM PC is 'the standard' but it came out ~3 years after the Atari so you could correctly say IBM is the non standard.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the MCUFriend displays other then being really cheaply made. The problem is IIRC the screen layouts are different between what is the considered the 'standard' Sdrive Max i.e. the upper right of the display of one is the lower left of the other. The other problem is they use a different addressing/pins for the touchscreen. When the Sdrive software tries to read it, it just comes up ~floating or no input when used with the MCUFriend display. 

Which brings us to a dilemma: Even if the authors of the SDrive software wanted to support other displays, where would it all end? I mean they don't own every display ever made to test it out with. Kind of an impossible task to support everything ever made and everything that will be made. Easiest way to do it is as they have done, support a good choice of available devices.

I kind of object to the characterization of the MCUFriend being more trouble then they are worth because the way it is stated, it reads like there is something inherently wrong with them. If the designers of SDrive happened to chose the MCUFriend display it would be the standard. Here is a link to a tutorial where they put the exact display traindriver69 is trying to use through its paces. https://electropeak.com/learn/arduino-2-4-touch-screen-lcd-shield-tutorial/ I can also vouch for the SD card on these working just fine.

I also say the mcufriend display is problematical, I even single it out as one to avoid in the tutorial I wrote. 

I'm not saying that the display is bad, or that it has anything wrong with it. I'm saying it's not one that works with the Sdrive-Max so is to be avoided "for this use case". I shouldn't have to specify "for the SDrive-Max"; we are all discussing it in a thread about the SDM and my tutorial is about the SDM. In context, this display should be avoided if you don't want to struggle making the SDM.

I'm sure the display works fine for other projects, just don't get one for an SDrive-Max. Do we really need to get this pedantic about it. 

Accuse me of being pedantic with a pedantic reply? OK

Sheesh, read the text I was referring to one more time.

"Those mcufriend screens seem to cause more trouble then it's worth. I have two that are worthless and not usable with any of the drivers. Ended up with two ILI9341's and they work flawlessly."

We will have to agree to disagree me thinks. This strong of a statement needs to be qualified. I didn't point out your post as being a problem because it was qualified rather then a blanket statement like the above. 

21 hours ago, ricortes said:

Accuse me of being pedantic with a pedantic reply? OK

Sheesh, read the text I was referring to one more time.

"Those mcufriend screens seem to cause more trouble then it's worth. I have two that are worthless and not usable with any of the drivers. Ended up with two ILI9341's and they work flawlessly."

We will have to agree to disagree me thinks. This strong of a statement needs to be qualified. I didn't point out your post as being a problem because it was qualified rather then a blanket statement like the above. 

I stated this from personal experience with the two I have as well as the other responses through all of the SDM posts on this forum. They appear to be the higher percentage of failed, not working, half working screens across the many that have been used successfully. So, yes as much as you refer to my statement as a blanket statement, I made that statement based on all the issues individuals have endured attempting to get these to work "properly" with the SDM. If I posted that statement on it's own, maybe like a Facebook post with no context behind my comment then I would agree it is a blanket statement, but I posted it within a topic specifically related to a project. The SDrive-Max.

I am glad that you have a working version and I am sure that the majority of the individuals that tried to use these and failed ended up with faulty versions of this screen from mcufriend. At the moment, I do not believe anyone has determined a way to identify the actual issue, but it does exist at a higher rate then any of the other screens (at the moment).

22 hours ago, ricortes said:

Here is a link to a tutorial where they put the exact display traindriver69 is trying to use through its paces. https://electropeak.com/learn/arduino-2-4-touch-screen-lcd-shield-tutorial/ I can also vouch for the SD card on these working just fine.

Not sure I agree with this statement either. "they put the exact display traindriver69 is trying to use ". The link that tutorial sends you to to purchase the screen (in question) shows a different version of the mcufriend screen. Notice placement of chips, different circuitry layout and an "extra" chip on the board. https://electropeak.com/2-4-tft-lcd-display-shield

If it can be identified which mcufriend screens actually do work, then we can avoid purchasing the incorrect version.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, xrbrevin said:

i think IL9329 driver should work with that screen

yup that driver worked for me and I have the same display.

I'm going to take one of the available 3d printable cases, and adjust

the window for the 2.4" display.  :)  if I succeed without too much frustation,

i will post the result. :) 

15 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I just tried it here in an emulator and it worked ok. 

M.U.L.E. (1985)(Ariolasoft)(GB).cas 58.46 kB · 1 download

Are you trying to use turbo mode for the tape?

No

Just tried Atari_Smash_Hits_Volume_1 from AtariMania and both sides work fine

Edited by 256 colors