IGNORED

Atari BASIC programs in text format?

There is an older 2012 thread on converting Atari BASIC programs to text format. At the time, it required the programs to be loaded into an emulator and then LISTed out to H

Has there been:

1) any improvement in this? I would like to convert every file in the Antic Software Collection and any others one might suggest so this would be sometime time consuming

2) has someone already done this? Is there an archive of text format Atari BASIC programs out there?

Hi!

37 minutes ago, Maury Markowitz said:

There is an older 2012 thread on converting Atari BASIC programs to text format. At the time, it required the programs to be loaded into an emulator and then LISTed out to H

Has there been:

1) any improvement in this? I would like to convert every file in the Antic Software Collection and any others one might suggest so this would be sometime time consuming

I always use CHKBAS from here: https://www.atarimax.com/jindroush.atari.org/asoft.html

It supports Atari BASIC, Turbo Basic (-tbs swtch), Basic XL (-bxl) and Basic XE (-bxe).

37 minutes ago, Maury Markowitz said:

2) has someone already done this? Is there an archive of text format Atari BASIC programs out there?

Don't know, but there are a lot of sources over the web :)

Have Fun!

• Like 1

What are we meaning by 'text format' here?

Just a direct conversion of byte values, carriage return / line feed handling?

160 A=USR(ADR("hð(h…Ïh…Ωà…Í© …Ì¢ ¡Ì�ÎæÌÐ�æÍ¥ÍÉäð�æÎÐìæÏÐè` "),CHB)

Displaying of graphical and inverse characters 'as-is'?

(I can't recall the URL of the site which allows you to upload files and it converts to an image file, maybe jpg/png, or even a pdf) 

image.thumb.png.fa0301c4faa9f80ab2ff50ba2c97f0f8.png

Or in a magazine/book type convention?

3100 PRINT:PRINT:PRINT" WHEN READY TO BEGIN TRANSMISSION[14 spaces][inverse] PRESS RETURN [inverse off]"

For the latter, there doesn't appear to be a definitive convention for this that could, for example, be adopted by an emulator to import a text file or a separate program to convert to/from a BAS file.

1 hour ago, Wrathchild said:

What are we meaning by 'text format' here?

Just a direct conversion of byte values, carriage return / line feed handling?

160 A=USR(ADR("hð(h…Ïh…Ωà…Í© …Ì¢ ¡Ì�ÎæÌÐ�æÍ¥ÍÉäð�æÎÐìæÏÐè` "),CHB)

Displaying of graphical and inverse characters 'as-is'?

(I can't recall the URL of the site which allows you to upload files and it converts to an image file, maybe jpg/png, or even a pdf) 

image.thumb.png.fa0301c4faa9f80ab2ff50ba2c97f0f8.png

Or in a magazine/book type convention?

3100 PRINT:PRINT:PRINT" WHEN READY TO BEGIN TRANSMISSION[14 spaces][inverse] PRESS RETURN [inverse off]"

For the latter, there doesn't appear to be a definitive convention for this that could, for example, be adopted by an emulator to import a text file or a separate program to convert to/from a BAS file.

Use the stand alone PC utility MemoPad R26 , or use AtariGeezer's excellent PC utility ATRTools-027f

madi

Edit: To convert the tokenized or listed Basic file to PDF, use the attached ATASCIIView

ATASCIIView.zip

Edited by Madi
Added ATASCIIView
  • Like 3

So the code in question is so old that it will not run on any modern Windows machine. I downloaded the source, did some touchups for modern VS c++, and built a new version called ChkBase64. The name is inaccurate, it's really 32-bit as well, but it works.

Is there a place I should upload the binary for other to use?

Hi!

3 hours ago, Maury Markowitz said:

So the code in question is so old that it will not run on any modern Windows machine. I downloaded the source, did some touchups for modern VS c++, and built a new version called ChkBase64. The name is inaccurate, it's really 32-bit as well, but it works.

Is there a place I should upload the binary for other to use?

IMHO, the best is to attach the program here.

Does anybody know how to contact the original author (Jindrich Kubec), for permission to release newer sources or move to github? I also have some local modifications correcting a few errors with Turbo-Basic XL sources.

Have Fun!

1 hour ago, dmsc said:

Hi!

IMHO, the best is to attach the program here.

Does anybody know how to contact the original author (Jindrich Kubec), for permission to release newer sources or move to github? I also have some local modifications correcting a few errors with Turbo-Basic XL sources.

Have Fun!

The sources are under GPL, so if you release it under GPL at Github, you don't have to ask. AFAIK Jindrich left the scene with no intention of going back years ago. I believe his LI profile is this one: https://cz.linkedin.com/in/kubecj

Not 100% sure, though.

Edited by baktra
Added li profile