IGNORED

Piezo Drum Trigger Controller Inputs

KevKelley

I was looking at the pin outs for the controller ports and was wondering if my understanding into how it works is correct. 

To make the controller work you are basically bridging the gap between the ground and the direction/button pressed causing a voltage drop to occur and an action to take place. 

I was wondering then if it would be feasible to create a connector that connects to a piezoelectric trigger to essentially use the VCS as a drum brain. 

My thoughts were basically since the trigger can go up to 5v when hit, each direction or button can be associated with an individual trigger. I would think that the 5v pin would not be connected and instead each trigger would deliver the voltage when hit.

This may be an oversimplification of how it all works but this was a thought I had since I was working on a drum trigger recently. I have been trying to get a better understanding of the audio output of the Atari so that I can better program the sound effects for my game. I was thinking of the great SynthCart or CVDrum but if there was a way to play with real instruments.

Ideally one port would be associated with the triggers while the other a joystick where the controller can change te ADSR of the two audio channels and make either both channels associated with one trigger or separated to allow for limited polyphony. 

I'm not too familiar with those but I was thinking of converting a single controller, with each directional being replaced with a 1/4" Jack. I would leave the button and try to convert it into a pedal. I was playing around with possible designs but looking for something simple. I think using a microcontroller might exceed my level of expertise. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cool. I've been reading about this stuff trying to learn more. When it comes to doing sound on the 2600 in bB, I have a hard time and I need to add sound effects to my game so I am toying with this idea as a simple way to learn while making something new in the process. It's all a learning experience