IGNORED

Sega Genesis Mini Unboxing, Review, & Gameplay

blainelocklair

Hello everyone!

I bought the Sega Genesis Mini on release day and put together an unboxing, review, and gameplay video for you to help you decide if it's a good fit for you. Lots to see and use to help you decide. Video below. Enjoy, and please share your input on the Mini so we can all best decide if it's a good fit for us. Thanks!

• Like 3

Nice review, thanks for sharing. While this was never for me, it's nice to see Sega make something good out of its heritage. 

Not sure if it's the capture or the system itself, but there's like a quarter-second (guessing) of audio lag. It's really obvious in all of the games you showed off, but I first noticed it in Altered Beast. He'd get knocked on his butt long before the sound of getting knocked on his butt played. 

That's not limited to Sega, though. MLiG first showed the phenomenon on the NES Classic with Mega Man. 

• Like 1

Yeah I put my thoughts about it in the dedicated consoles forum talking about it. For me most of the audio lag isn't really noticed. But there are some strange parts where it does seem to really stick out. One of the worst for me last night while playing was Bloodlines. The thud noise when you fall from a ledge to the floor below or jump from a ledge to the ledge below..etc was very much delayed compared to the rest of the audio for me. Not sure why that one was so obvious but there you go. Darius and the Sonic games seem to be on the mark though so it does seem to vary from game to game. It isn't enough to put me off from playing on it though. I could see me going through Shining Force on this vs my actual cart since I have the luxury of using the save states before each battle so when it goes pear shaped I can reload and do something different.

I also made mention of these issues on the Sega-16 forums and was asked if there was a way I can record this, but the answer is not really. I don't have a capture device so the best I could do is run the audio from my receiver's audio out into my camcorder and record the screen that way. Wouldn't look that razor sharp but it might be enough to see and hear what I'm talking about. Will have to think about this...

• Like 1

I bought my Sega Genesis Mini at Best Buy on SEP 19, 2019 (release day). I did not pre order. Instead, I went to Best Buy's website the morning of the 19th, and reserved one online for pickup in store later that day (making sure that the particular store I was going to go to had it in stock).

I am extremely pleased with this unit. Great selection of built in games, love the USB gamepads, and the little details such as the volume slider and cartridge port doors "working" (but not actually doing anything other than mechanical movement) was a nice touch. Great packaging as well.

Sega did a mighty fine job with this one, in my humble opinion. ?

Edited by WozzyCat
  • Like 1