IGNORED

A worse programmers questions

Sid1968

On 10/4/2019 at 10:24 AM, Airshack said:

That’s a great memory to have! That clacking sound was on terminals, not keypunch machines? If so that’s quite advanced for 1969. What a time with Apollo 11 and all...

Dartmouth’s system was a GE-225 with GE DATANET-30. Equipment they purchased at a 60% discount from GE’s Phoenix Arizona office. 

Of course they put the BASIC Time-Share system together so users wouldn’t have to compile-link-load-execute manually. 

BASIC did in fact start out as a compiled language. Kemeny (with Bill Zani) wrote the first single-pass BASIC compiler on punch cards in the summer of 1963. 

Later, BASIC was ported to other computers with less memory and processing power, simplified, and interpreted versions appeared.

Ref: Back to BASIC, Kennedy and Kurtz

For sure they were teletype terminals. We only got to use them once and then it was over to another college where there was 1403 with Fortran and cards.

I only got 2 programs to run between Sept and Christmas break going there once a week after high school classes. 

That machine had 8Kwords of "CORE" memory as I recall. ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi folks,

1. Did we finally found an answer for the question, if there is space enough in RXB for the datatypes XBInteger and XBFloat?

2. If the answer is NO: Is it possible to clear up RXB to create space without loosing its compatibility to older basic programs?

Kind Regards

Sid

Not that I'm doing RXB, but I'd say it's clear that there's not space in normal Extended BASIC to do that, as it would affect almost every function that uses a numeric argument. Or maybe not even almost, but actually every single one of them. Such a thing is something you should plan in the original design. It's nothing you add with a good result after the fact. It will also add some penalty to everything else, as the check for argument type has to be added.

If I've understood RXB correctly, it adds some features and stuff to Extended BASIC, by using a few unused spaces in the original memory map. Rich will correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RXB said:

Additionally I would need at least anther 8K XB ROM added.

Is that impossible? As adamtyr wrote in posts #14  and #18, the Extended Basic III Cartridge does things different too. ?

On 9/20/2019 at 10:46 PM, adamantyr said:

It's a custom-built cartridge, unfortunately, with some weird internals for switching banks that doesn't align with FG99.

Edited by Sid1968

My opionion is YES. ?

If i understood Rich right, he things nearly the same. I remember you people that he applied multiple times your help!

Changing your viewing direction on the task is the answer. So how is this?:

When i show Commodore Mates my Ti-99/4A they smile friendly, say its looking good, but always resume that its basic is... lets say "a little slow".

TI-Basic is the first thing other NON-TI folks look at. And in that point the TI-99/4A doesnt looks really good. That discourages people.

It would be a hugde win of prestige for the TI-Community if we would offer a Basicversion (RXB) that remedies the flaws of the TI-Basic.

You should see this similar to the "Don`t mess with Texas" Demo, that is in my opinion a hudge win of prestige for the TI-Community too!!!

So common.... give Rich your support... and remember this: Klick me!

Cheers

Sid

Edited by Sid1968

1 hour ago, Sid1968 said:

When i show Commodore Mates my Ti-99/4A they smile friendly, say its looking good, but always resume that its basic is... lets say "a little slow".

TI-Basic is the first thing other NON-TI folks look at. And in that point the TI-99/4A doesnt looks really good. That discourages people.

Why don't you show them Cortex BASIC then?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Well spoke! Well spoke!

But not only does the TI community and Rich need your support...

We also need to Save our Rain Forests!

Click me!!!

...or not.

P.S. always remember to... Stay Dee-mented!

:music:

Think bigger... the next goal after an improved TI-Basic will be the first TI-99/4A controlled Mars-Mission. ;-)

I doubt the SRAMs inside could stand up to the ionizing radiation of the 3 month trip (best time) to get there...

BUT-- the TI does have a reasonable power footprint (once you cut out that sinfully inefficient transformer)... I wonder if my "Nuclear powered laptop" idea would work... (Not really as scary as it sounds. Just a bunch of tritium gas containing sign illuminators and high efficiency PV cells.)

13 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

I doubt the SRAMs inside could stand up to the ionizing radiation of the 3 month trip (best time) to get there...

BUT-- the TI does have a reasonable power footprint (once you cut out that sinfully inefficient transformer)... I wonder if my "Nuclear powered laptop" idea would work... (Not really as scary as it sounds. Just a bunch of tritium gas containing sign illuminators and high efficiency PV cells.)

I see this thread awakes your creativity... We wont need 3 month, cause we will use a gravity drive. The radiationproblem is easy to solve...

we protect the SRAMs with the aluminiom foil of a chocolate bar! For your "Nuclear powered laptop" we must only use the "cold fusion". That should solve all problems.

But before we will make the second and the third steps, we should make the first... and improve RXB. ?

Edited by Sid1968
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sid1968 said:

Does RXB or Cortex Basic offer a plot command, which draws only one dot?

Do a mathematical curve sketching program with a plotter exists for the TI-99/4A?

Cortex BASIC does, not sure about RXB.

Scroll down to the bottom of the following page for an example: http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/tms99110_breadboard/tms99110_breadboard.htm

• Thanks 1

Yes thank you i found it for Cortex Basic. Why is there no decription for "plot" in the manual???

BTW... are you the developer of Cortex Basic V1.7?

Iam sure that Rich can help us with RXB. 2 pm in Germany and 6 am in Vancouver.... Rich are you there? ;-)

Edited by Sid1968
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sid1968 said:

Yes thank you i found it for Cortex Basic. Why is there no decription for "plot" in the manual???

BTW... are you the developer of Cortex Basic V1.7?

Iam sure that Rich can help us with RXB. 2 pm in Germany and 6 am in Vancouver.... Rich are you there? ;-)

It's in the manual - section 4.2.12.4. (Appendix A of the manual contains an alphabetical list of BASIC keywords which is handy for finding where things are described.)

Yes, I ported Cortex BASIC over from the original Cortex version.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It's in the manual - section 4.2.12.4. (Appendix A of the manual contains an alphabetical list of BASIC keywords which is handy for finding where things are described.)

Yes, I ported Cortex BASIC over from the original Cortex version.

Its an honour to meet you, Stuart! You made a great job. Is Cortex Basic still in developement?

Edited by Sid1968
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sid1968 said:

Does RXB or Cortex Basic offer a plot command, which draws only one dot?

Do a mathematical curve sketching program with a plotter exists for the TI-99/4A?

I think that feature was in SuperXB that had the plot routines, but as you could only do this from Assembly limited it to very restrictive SuperXB only programs.

RXB has the same issue from many routines.

The Plot routines used Bit Map Mode so extremely limited VDP RAM size and XB program size.

• Thanks 1