IGNORED

Ads Coming to AtariAge

Albert

I don’t consider ads much of an issue anymore, as they really are all over the internet today.  It’s certainly not fair to expect you to continue to leave $$ on the table, when low hanging fruit, such as ads, can lead to a fair amount of revenue,  while reducing some of the burden that’s placed on you.

Having said this, I do appreciate and applaud your efforts to refrain from putting ads on the site, for all of this time.  I certainly don’t want to see AA go away, so if ads can help in anyway, I’m all for it.?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

$600 dollars?  There is no cheaper hosting?

For three dedicated servers, two of which have pretty good specs (especially the new web server)?  That's actually not too bad, and I pay for multiple months at a time, which helps bring the cost down a bit lower.  I don't think you'd be able to find comparable servers for significantly less that it would make it worthwhile to switch to another company.  But it's not just the cost of the servers and software and other costs, it's also the amount of time required on my part to manage everything, which is considerable. 

..Al

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Albert said:

For three dedicated servers, two of which have pretty good specs (especially the new web server)?  That's actually not too bad, and I pay for multiple months at a time, which helps bring the cost down a bit lower.  I don't think you'd be able to find comparable servers for significantly less that it would make it worthwhile to switch to another company.  But it's not just the cost of the servers and software and other costs, it's also the amount of time required on my part to manage everything, which is considerable. 

..Al

I am just surprised it takes 3 servers.  I always used to use shared not dedicated.  But then again it was slow at times.  And it was not that many users before I shutdown.  But still 3 is a lot.

4 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

I am just surprised it takes 3 servers.  I always used to use shared not dedicated.  But then again it was slow at times.  And it was not that many users before I shutdown.  But still 3 is a lot.

Only two of the three are directly used to run AtariAge.  One is the web server, the other is the database server.  Even with the old forum software, it would bog down sometimes due to the database server and web server being on the same box--if the database server started using many resources, it would greatly effect responsiveness of the web server.  It was also more difficult to backup the database while the forum was online.  Getting the standalone server for the database made a big difference. 

The third server I use for development (so I can setup a copy of the forum for development purposes, as you cannot put the live forum into "development" mode) and also use it to host several other sites (mostly classic gaming related, and mostly for free).  That third server is only $40 a month.  The bulk of the cost is with the web and database servers.

..Al

• Like 2

It's a good thing. It will get AA some needed cash and it will alert me to new products in whatever field-of-interest I might happen to be shopping in. Click on some electronics stuff from electronics oriented sites and you get ads that match that topic. Ads for 'scopes and meters and parts.. And for the ones that are boring, just ignore or block them them. Someday I may subscribe, but not just yet.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, cmart604 said:

Sounds good to me Al although maybe this might encourage more folks to subscribe. It's a steal at twice the price and I think most of us can afford the small amount each year to support our favourite forum. 

I'd be fine with that.  One of the listed benefits when I added forum subscriptions years ago was that ads would not be displayed to subscribers. 

..Al

• Like 9

There is a site where the owner said outright he watched the users' behavior over a period of like a year and slowly increased the amount of advertising till he pissed them off by making the site too difficult and slow. With an attitude like that I put it on my DoNotSubscribeTo list. That doesn't appear to be the case here however.

• Like 2

Just now, Keatah said:

There is a site where the owner said outright he watched the users' behavior over a period of like a year and slowly increased the amount of advertising till he pissed them off by making the site too difficult and slow. With an attitude like that I put it on my DoNotSubscribeTo list. That doesn't appear to be the case here however.

Probably that's happened many, many times.  What kind of site was it?  Did he back off on the ads after he got to the "pissing people off" stage?  Was he doing it as an experiment to see how much he could get away with?  Is the site still online?  :D

..Al

• Like 1

The site is a popular space-news and space science site written for the enthusiast. The site is still operational with the amount of adverts and annoyances seemingly holding steady. He did back off after many people complained and traffic decreased. Had to.

There was another site that went overboard (same subject matter & style) and kicked itself out of top standings. They blindly "corporat-ized" themselves and outsourced all their web activities including customer care and solicitation for material.

Personally I don't think ads are an issue, it's all the page rendering corruption and disorganization they cause. The site has to be human-readable in a pleasant manner or users simply will not visit.

• Like 2

I always have ad blocker on because when I'm composing a track, random ads will mess up my sound card's clock rate, which messes up my audio playback. I like to browse the internet while composing. Sorry in advance, but I will keep it on. Also my other computer can barely handle one tab open, let alone a bunch of ads, so they are blocked as well. I've not once clicked on an ad, at least not on purpose. So don't feel like you are missing out on ad revenue from me.

Now if this site would only have pure image ads and not a bunch of Flash or script crap, I'll unblock them here. (on my desktop PC but not my underpowered laptop that would scream at loading a bunch of images).

• Like 1

I fully understand the need to gain money. But ads are very critical IMO. They are usually coming from a network, where the website owner has little control over the content. That means, a website using ads has to be assumed unsafe, because criminals can (and do!) spread zero day exploits via advertising networks ("malvertizing").

That's the main reason why I am almost permanently using an ad blocker and (have to) ignore websites which counter ad blockers. 

There has to be a better way.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, TailChao said:

Will members be able to run paid advertisements?

Something Awful's forums have done this for years and it's an elegant way to promote things for the community while supporting the site.

That is interesting, I'd like to see some examples of that.  But likely not, ads will be managed by a third-party company.  There's nothing built into the forum to really do anything like that.  I did see a modification that allows users to spend money to get their posts pinned for 'x' days (the length of time dependent on how much you want to spend).  That's also interesting, but not something I'd want to do here.

..Al