IGNORED

Ads Coming to AtariAge

Albert

16 hours ago, matthew180 said:

Like somehow being a subscriber makes a person a better contributor to the forums or is some sort of elite status.

Wait a second... I thought I was buying prestige, clout, and undying fandom!!  ;)  On a serious note, I really have no idea what the joystick pips mean.

It never occurred to me to purchase a two-year subscription.  I am on-board with the idea of a donation option for users.  My life has revolved around AtariAge for almost nine years, even more so recently than at Amiga.org.  I rarely venture outside of AA into any of the other Commodore- or Amiga-centric.  I suffer missing out on some things by doing so but I have to keep a limited repertoire of information sources otherwise my available time collapses.  I have to prioritize my consumption by signal-to-noise.  I would be quite happy to throw a few extra bucks to a site which provides such much content and help keep Al off the dance stage.

I do miss the custom thread markers from a long time ago, like the Space Invader character.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, matthew180 said:

Still gotta do something about the joystick meter though. ;-)

The "meter" is more about post count than anything else. It's not a status thing. Subscribers can change that to a custom status, but that's not "better" than anyone else, just different. Nobody is "winning" or "losing" at discussion forums, and it's certainly not "pay to win."

I use custom status for jokes and nonsense. I honestly can't even remember what it says now, because it doesn't show up on mobile, which is the main way I view the forum. 

The subscriber badge simply indicates who is a subscriber. I feel like you're seeing something that isn't there, at least not in the way you're viewing it. 

• Like 1

I like the way it's setup now, in that it's not overly complicated.  The idea of multiple amounts (per year) would just irritate and discourage me.

I've been subscribing on a yearly basis and it's worked fine for me.  Now I REALLY LIKE that the site will remind you in advance when it's time to re-subscribe.  I thoroughly detest web-sites that want to automatically dip into your bank account.  I only setup auto-pay for a few important things, and an automatic annual subscription could throw me off and mess things up.  Now that being said, with the amount of time I've spent on this site and the number of messages and images I've uploaded, I'd personally feel like a leech if I did not subscribe.

3 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

Wow, time flies!  Come to think of it, I've been on here for about 6 1/2 years already!

Speaking of time on AA and post counts...  I've been here for a little over 11 years... about twice the time...  and you've got about five times as many posts as I do.  lol

And here I worry about posting in the Number Picture Thread in general chat as being seen as padding my post count.  :lol:

On 9/24/2019 at 7:08 AM, Albert said:

The costs are not outrageous if you shop around for dedicated servers at a reliable host.  It depends a lot on how resource-intensive your site is.  The forum in particular is very resource intensive and has hundreds of people browsing simultaneously.  Yes, you can get servers for less, especially if you use virtual servers.  I will periodically shop around to see what the going rates are for servers.  For servers with similar specifications and software located in the US, what I'm paying is quite reasonable.

..Al

I think perhaps in my Sac Gaming Expo Tournaments I need to start offering AtariAge gift cards to try and help out.

As it turns out, the forum does have support to allow forum members to purchase advertisements that can then be displayed on the forum, also allowing the admin to review said ads before they are publicly displayed:

https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/promotion/internal-advertising-r57/#sellads

Interesting, and I'll need to play with this at some point. 

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Oh, I like that.  We could purchase ads for gatherings and events, not just products.  Is this a module you have to purchase or is it built-into the software?

It's built into the forum.  I'm not going to play around with that, though, until I see how the regular ads work out, and I have time to figure out a good way to integrate member-based ads into the forum.  I don't want to do too much all at once.  Not that I even have time right now to explore the user-based ads!  But those could be fun, and obviously more relevant.

..Al

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zwackery said:

Multicart.  Okay, I guess.  As CPUWIZ would say, no box, no glory.

Heh I have only like a handful of boxes for console games... but I do have a pretty huge collection of PC games in the box, though more than half of them are in small boxes (mid to late 2000s).

11 hours ago, Albert said:

As it turns out, the forum does have support to allow forum members to purchase advertisements that can then be displayed on the forum, also allowing the admin to review said ads before they are publicly displayed:

https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/promotion/internal-advertising-r57/#sellads

Interesting, and I'll need to play with this at some point. 

..Al

I like this idea alot because most people like myself ignore ads however if the ads are truly from AtariAge members it would bring interest to me and even cause me to come here just for the ads so I can keep up on new SD cartridges or say a Tournament event in my area hosted from a member. Or I myself might want to promote Snes rom Hacks I made that have been put on a real cartridge.

I adore this idea.