IGNORED

Picked up a Lynx (FINALLY)

ProAtari

I picked up a Lynx, which has been on my want list for a long while, but for some reason didn't get around to it until now. I got the v1 model and the sound sure does BOOM. It doesn't seem to be working with batteries at the moment, but I will crack it open and have a look at fixing it. I do have a power adapter that is working well and I've clocked a few hours of Rampage, which is oddly addicting to me. I'm psyched.

• Like 3

On 9/21/2019 at 4:12 AM, ProAtari said:

I picked up a Lynx, which has been on my want list for a long while, but for some reason didn't get around to it until now. I got the v1 model and the sound sure does BOOM. It doesn't seem to be working with batteries at the moment, but I will crack it open and have a look at fixing it. I do have a power adapter that is working well and I've clocked a few hours of Rampage, which is oddly addicting to me. I'm psyched.

It works with the DC jack, but not all with batteries?

The schematic is here and it doesn't look as though there's much to go wrong. Maybe start by checking the soldering on the battery connections to the PCB, and also the PCB traces from those connections to the relevant points?

https://atariage.com/Lynx/archives/schematics/index.html?SystemID=LYNX

I'm sure somebody else will come along to offer better technical support. ?

Could just be a bad power socket.

When the power connector is inserted the battery ground connection is broken, as the socket wears the contact may no longer be re-established when the power cable is removed. You can test for this in two ways...

1) Use a multi-meter to check the continuity (reistance) between TP16 and pin 7 of U6 (see note i), if your reading close to 0 (inductors have a small resistance) then the connection is OK and the issue may be with the power connector (see note ii). If not then you probably have an open circuit somewhere, either L15 or L19 may be defective or you have a bad solder joint (see note iii).

2) Solder a piece of wire either between pins 2 & 3 of the power connector (see note iv if unidentified) or between TP16 and pin 7 of U6 and see if it will power on with the batteries. If it powers up on batteries with power socket pins 2 & 3 connected then the power connector definitely need replacing, if it powers up with TP16 connectd to U6, pin 7 then the power connector may need replacing (see note v). 

NOTE:

i) Make sure you are connecting to pin 7 of U6, in the top image of this post of a lynx 1 PCB U6 is in the upper left corner & pin 7 is the last on on the left of top row. In  the third image down of this post of a lynx 2 pcb (shield removed) U6 is on the left side about half way up & pin 7 is the bottom one on the left side.

ii) Check the continuity between the negative battery terminal and TP16, if you get a reading of approximate 0 then replace the power connector otherwise you have a bad battery to TP16 connection. 

iii) Check the continuity between each individual component in that section of circuit and L15/L19 themselves to try and identify where the issue lies. 

iv) If you cannot identify pins 2 & 3 measure the continuity from the large pin in the middle of the power connector (the one you see from the outside with the case on) and the three pins on the bottom of the power connector, a reading of approximately 0 = pin 1.

v) Ensure you remove the link before applying the the power cable as having the batteries and power unit connected in parallel could result in damage to either and the Lynx. Additionally check the continuity between the battery negative terminal and TP16, a reading of approximately 0 is definitely the power connector and not a bad battery to TP16 connection. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 11:15 PM, bobmoo79 said:

It works with the DC jack, but not all with batteries?

This is sometimes caused by the type of batteries. For example, some modern high-capacity rechargeable batteries have much shorter positive "nubs" than common alkaline batteries, and as a result, when these batteries are put in a Lynx, the batteries don't actually make contact with the Lynx's battery terminals. I put a conductive shim in my Lynx to fix this issue.

If you were using rechargeable batteries, try using some alkalines.

I use eneloop batteries because they have great battery life, and they fit fine, but I know what you mean.

I found that Rechargeable Duracell Ultra (AA) batteries have a slightly longer body than a standard AA battery and wouldn't fit in my baby monitor. Before that I thought they were all a standard size but they're not.

11 hours ago, ProAtari said:

Awesome, thank you for the info guys. I haven't had a chance to crack it open and check it out for issues yet, but it's certainly on my to do list as I like to keep all my consoles in high working order.

Have you managed to look into this yet??

One word of caution if not...be very careful with the flex membrane that connects the buttons to the mainboard. It has graphite (I think) contacts, rather than the more usual standard metal contacts and they wear off VERY easily if you disconnect/reconnect it, and then you'll need to buy a new membrane from the USA (or a good used one on Ebay if you can find one).

At a stretch you could cut off a few mm before you reconnect it but it's not ideal.

When I worked on my latest Lynx project i did all I could to make sure I didn't unplug the membrane at all to avoid damaging it.

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2019 at 11:12 PM, ProAtari said:

It's a bit late for me to chime in, but I'll chime in anyway, ProAtarI: Welcome to the Lynx Community!

You have a Lynx. Good. And you have at least one Lynx cartridge. That's good, too. That makes you a Lynxter.

I know you will have many hours of fun with your Lynx as you build your collection. And never underestimate the power of the Lynx Community, both here on Atari Age and at www.atarigamer.com; if you need game suggestions, technical help, or anything else, the Lynx Community is the best!