IGNORED

who's picking up Dragon Quest XI this Friday?

digdugnate

12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

That's why I never bought the game on Steam, the Switch with handheld mode is highly enticing because you're not TV tethered for 80-100+hrs for the ride.

I wonder with the guide people going under over the years if someone published one for this title.

I've been on the lookout for a strategy guide for this game.  Not to use during the game but to look at after I beat the game to see what I missed and for the inevitable post credits game play.  Anyway, it doesn't appear that anyone made a guide and that's a bit of a shame.

• Sad 1

That makes me a bit nervous, guess IGN and friends probably have done their usual which lacks but is better than nothing.  I don't have time with things as they are anymore to waste even more time, so I like the guides now for just the general map of the area, not to cheat me way to easy battle wins.

On 10/14/2019 at 8:35 AM, King_Salamon said:

I've been on the lookout for a strategy guide for this game.  Not to use during the game but to look at after I beat the game to see what I missed and for the inevitable post credits game play.  Anyway, it doesn't appear that anyone made a guide and that's a bit of a shame.

I haven't found one and it's a real bummer.  I can look stuff up online, but I wanted hardback and maps ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 9:47 AM, Unbeliever said:

Well, with two games pre-ordered for November...that's a "no" for now. Luigi's Mansion 3 and Pokemon Shield are priorities right now. I've played the demo and did enjoy it, but I've never been a huge DQ fan, anyway. Perhaps later on.

The Boss and I have our dual-set of Sword/Shield preordered.  :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally ordered this game as I was able to snap it up for $40 online earlier ago.  I'll either have it Saturday or Monday, so it should be a good time to be had when it happens finally.  This will tide me over nicely until I get something for Christmas as my daughter at least cares enough to get me a game on birthdays and then too. :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I finally ordered this game as I was able to snap it up for $40 online earlier ago.  I'll either have it Saturday or Monday, so it should be a good time to be had when it happens finally.  This will tide me over nicely until I get something for Christmas as my daughter at least cares enough to get me a game on birthdays and then too. :)

nice!  i hung up my adventurer's gear for a bit on DQ11- just didn't want to grind post-game for a bit.  Maybe in month or so :)

• Like 1

I'm not big on grinding anymore just haven't the time to have the patience for it which is likely why I one day forgot to do DQ7 on the 3DS and never got 8.  I enjoy them but I find sadly these days enjoyment is playing until I feel I got my value out of it, but given I want nothing on Switch anytime soon other than hoping for that Zelda game in another month and a half about I'll have time to pick away at it mostly (as I just got Yoshi Switch for $24 earlier ago.)

• Like 1

I will slowly make my way through XI and then I have Skyrim to sink my teeth into (never played it before but I love the Fallout games).  Then I can always borrow my son's copy of Breath of the Wild.  Those three games should keep me busy until Outer Worlds comes out next spring.  If I manage to complete all three of those, I might pick up Link's Awakening (unless I can get my son to put it on his Christmas list!).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, King_Salamon said:

I will slowly make my way through XI and then I have Skyrim to sink my teeth into (never played it before but I love the Fallout games).  Then I can always borrow my son's copy of Breath of the Wild.  Those three games should keep me busy until Outer Worlds comes out next spring.  If I manage to complete all three of those, I might pick up Link's Awakening (unless I can get my son to put it on his Christmas list!).

ha! that sounds like my house.  A lot of the newer games I end up checking out are because of my son getting them first- though I beat BotW AND Link's Awakening before him. ;)

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'm not big on grinding anymore just haven't the time to have the patience for it which is likely why I one day forgot to do DQ7 on the 3DS and never got 8.  I enjoy them but I find sadly these days enjoyment is playing until I feel I got my value out of it, but given I want nothing on Switch anytime soon other than hoping for that Zelda game in another month and a half about I'll have time to pick away at it mostly (as I just got Yoshi Switch for $24 earlier ago.)

What do you think of Yoshi on the Switch?  I really enjoyed it but I thought that was a short one, too.  :)  Love the graphics and (for the most part) the controls.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

From what I remember I never had to grind in XI.  I never felt under leveled for anything.  Of course I was obsessed with the crafting system so I'm sure that helped.

Ugh 7.  Don't even get me started on that one.  For some reason everyone likes to gush about how amazing it was and how it revolutionized the DQ series.  I found it ugly, dull, and way too long.  The first 30 min or so of the game were the most boring I've ever played.  The predictable and dull story didn't help.  But this is a rant for another topic.  XI is great!

7 hours ago, King_Salamon said:

I will slowly make my way through XI and then I have Skyrim to sink my teeth into (never played it before but I love the Fallout games). 

It's funny, I love the Fallout games and fantasy RPGs are my favorite genre so I thought the Elder Scrolls series would be a natural fit for me, but I didn't care for them.  I got through Oblivion and played a demo of Skyrim but never bought it.  I can't explain it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tempest said:

It's funny, I love the Fallout games and fantasy RPGs are my favorite genre so I thought the Elder Scrolls series would be a natural fit for me, but I didn't care for them.  I got through Oblivion and played a demo of Skyrim but never bought it.  I can't explain it.

Wow... really?  I thought Skyrim would be a lock for myself... we will have to see how that turns out.

On 11/15/2019 at 6:07 AM, digdugnate said:

What do you think of Yoshi on the Switch?  I really enjoyed it but I thought that was a short one, too.  :)  Love the graphics and (for the most part) the controls.

So far I've gone beyond that first octopus looking boss fight into the next world and parked it last night.  It's easy, not sure if it's too easy, but it's not a stressor which I do like.  Visuals are smartly done where you have more interactivity than usual and the smooth egg aiming adds a nice new mechanic to it.  The fact there's no timer and you can poke about and find things like some little treasure hunt I find it kind of appealing.  I've tried all the Yoshi games since other than the WiiU/3DS one and they got worse over time, but this one seems nice (so far.)

On 11/15/2019 at 7:49 AM, Tempest said:

From what I remember I never had to grind in XI.  I never felt under leveled for anything.  Of course I was obsessed with the crafting system so I'm sure that helped.

Ugh 7.  Don't even get me started on that one.  For some reason everyone likes to gush about how amazing it was and how it revolutionized the DQ series.  I found it ugly, dull, and way too long.  The first 30 min or so of the game were the most boring I've ever played.  The predictable and dull story didn't help.  But this is a rant for another topic.  XI is great!

So 7 just is a life sucking boredom fest eh?  I got quite a ways into probably 1/2 the game if I had to look it up or so, and I just got tired of having to stay in areas for hours trying to get enough Xp and Gp so I could buy what I need but also not just get wrecked as it wasn't staggered out all that well.  If 11S there on Switch is more of a flowing game, and the crafting is no more obtrusive than say Breath of the Wild (or even that 3DS Xenoblade) I'll dig it quite a bit as it will make it easier to put up with stuff.

i liked the crafting on DQ11.  crafting mats are pretty easy to get (though, of course, for the really uber stuff it's a bit of a grind and knowing where the endgame mats are to farm them), and i felt like it made the game more accessible to the player if they were willing to either level existing gear or create some quick and dirty upgrades for the next section they were working on.

this isn't to say the game is easy by any stretch of the imagination, lol, since to me there were some pretty definite 'level gates' throughout the story.

On 11/20/2019 at 7:28 PM, Tanooki said:

I just got up to walking into Heliodor earlier ago as I haven't had a lot of time to poke away at it yet.  I did get the free DLC so I have that nicer DQ8 (?) looking armor which helps, curious to see who/what can use the wolf armor and that ridiculous looking pig or whatever it was gear too.

lol- the pig armor is pretty silly-looking.  i'd tell ya who but it kind of spoils the story if you know they're going to join the party eventually :)