IGNORED

K-RAZY KRITTERS Compatibility

Obadiah64

I have a question about the compatibility of K-RAZY KRITTERS game cartridge. I own both a 800 and a 800XL. The game will play flawlessly on the older 800, but will not even boot up on the 800XL. All other game cartridges that I own will work fine on both. Just this one cartridge. Not real problem in as when I want to play the game I just load it up on the 800.

The thing about the 800XL is that it has been modded with a UAV video board. 

My concern is that there may be an issue with the unit, because so far I haven't been able to find anything that suggest that K-RAZY KRITTERS is not compatible with the 800xl.

6 minutes ago, Obadiah64 said:

I have a question about the compatibility of K-RAZY KRITTERS game cartridge. I own both a 800 and a 800XL. The game will play flawlessly on the older 800, but will not even boot up on the 800XL. All other game cartridges that I own will work fine on both. Just this one cartridge. Not real problem in as when I want to play the game I just load it up on the 800.

My concern is that there may be an issue with the unit, because so far I haven't been able to find anything that suggest that K-RAZY KRITTERS is not compatible with the 800xl.

The UAV doesn’t have anything to do with it, so no worries there.

You’ve run into one of the handful of games that are not compatible with the XL or XE machines. There are a few others (GORF comes to mind) where the programmers used undocumented features in the OS or other little tricks using undocumented memory locations for their own purposes. So when Atari later released the updated XL machines with the correspondingly updated OS, those games and carts don’t work anymore. There are generally hacks and disk-based versions of such titles either released officially by the publisher or fixed by the community over the years to make them work properly again, but unless you replace the original ROM with a hacked or updated version, the cart itself won’t work in later machines.

I’m sure a search of the forum here would find more details for you.

EDIT: Here you go:

• Like 1

You could install either an "Ultimate 1MB" or "AtariMax 32-in-1" board into your 800XL so that you can switch between the 800XL OS or the original 800 OSb.  They are both fairly easy installs as long as your motherboard is socketed. 

Conversely, Video61 makes a "Translator Cart" that allows for hot swapping of OSb-only cartridges.  It takes a little finesse to do the swapping but it does work.  

The "Translator Cart" is based on the "Ultra Translator" program, which you can also use for hot swapping cartridges.  

https://atarionline.pl/utils/B. Rozne/ULTRA-Translator/ULTRA-Translator 2.0.atr

Thanks for the quick responses.

I was thinking about adding the "Ultimate 1MB" any ways. So that sounds like that might be the best way to go.

I thought I did good search of the forums, but I never came up with anything. It was probably because I was doing a search for compatibility of just the K-RAZY KRITTERS cartridge. Should have broaden the search parameters.

Thanks again for the info. I'm just glad it was not something specifically wrong with my 800XL.  

• Like 1

Love my Ultimate1MB.   My other suggestion was going to be MyBios from Mr. Atari.   I LOVE THIS THING!!   Hell, even with the Ultimate1MB you can use it.  It basically is both an 800 and XL compatible OS.  I love it.

• Like 4

ah but was there carts that used the left cart timing of the 800 (that single signal changed) and caused issue... I know the answer but kudos to those who can dig up the answer from within the threads ;)

the software not the only cause for the failure in all situations... :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

Ooo-eer, hot swapping carts is never the best practice, back then you were warned to not remove anything from the machine while it was on, I am not sure if there was diode protection in lines back then but it was said to be not the done thing.

Saying that, it worked hence The Pill etc but unwanted sudden lunges on to those poor cartridge port pins would never be a great thing to do..

cartridge roms were always able to hot swap,  the OS/expansion/memory cards were not. It was best to tell people not to hot swap any cartridges period because many thought the cards for the card slots were 'cartridges' in that sense... It was best to screw the card bay shut to stop the ensuing silliness.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 9:43 AM, Obadiah64 said:

The original runs fine on a 400/800 with the OSb Operating System.  See thread attached.  It has a XEX version of Krazy Kritters that will work on a 800XL.  It's on page 2, entries #40 and #41.

Edited by ACML