IGNORED

Season 16 Round 7 - Double Dragon 2

asponge

Next up is Double Dragon II.  The score disappears quickly at the end of the game.  If you miss it, just start again to show the high score.

1814015555_DoubleDragon2Cartridge.png.ce321d497f9314e5295101680d773586.png 282652970_DoubleDragon2Screenshot.png.2ba85b525acb3c5cdeb37060cae04c98.png

Game Rules:

Select Supreme Master

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday October 6 at 11:59 PM CDT.

AtariAge High Score:

108,490 by bust3dstr8 posted on 3/13/2007 (Warrior)

Scores so far:

mbd30  126,620

asponge  103,820

Floyd Turbo  45,680

empsolo  14,320

Tempest  9,560

Mister-VCS  7,650

jblenkle  3,510

Season Standings:

39  Tempest

38  mbd30
36  S.BAZ

31  asponge

25  Floyd Turbo 

20  empsolo

13  jblenkle

12  agb 

12 TwentySixHundred
9  atari2600land

9  Psionic

6  Mangia-Boy

6  Mister-VCS

5  roadrunner
3  RetroRob

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • No point pressing.
  • Round points are awarded according to the number of participants. Every player earns 1 participation point plus 1 point for every player they outscore. For example, if there are 8 players, the player with the highest score earns 8 points, second 7 points, third 6 points, etc. down to the last player who earns 1 point.
Edited by asponge
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, mbd30 said:

I love this game. I think we should play on Supreme Master though!

I know you can only play the final boss on Supreme Master.  For some reason I thought the enemies along the way were more difficult as well, but I don't think that's the case.  I went ahead and changed the game rule.

30 minutes ago, asponge said:
1 hour ago, mbd30 said:

I love this game. I think we should play on Supreme Master though!

I know you can only play the final boss on Supreme Master.  For some reason I thought the enemies along the way were more difficult as well, but I don't think that's the case.  I went ahead and changed the game rule.

I looked into the difficulty a bit more.  The manual doesn't mention it, but strategy guides out on the internet indicate the enemy HP and attack rate goes up from Warrior to Supreme Master.  I did a quick play through on level one with both settings and didn't notice much of a difference, if at all.  Either way, if you can't go all the way through the end of the game, what's the point?  We'll stick with Supreme Master.

4 hours ago, Tempest said:

The regular enemies are easy, the bosses are impossible.

Check out pages 12 and 13 of the manual.  The cyclone kick is my go-to.  The manual says to hit A or B after jumping, but I always hit both buttons after jumping.  That technique seems to work more consistently for me.  YMMV.

31 minutes ago, asponge said:

Check out pages 12 and 13 of the manual.  The cyclone kick is my go-to.  The manual says to hit A or B after jumping, but I always hit both buttons after jumping.  That technique seems to work more consistently for me.  YMMV.

Maybe that will help.  Other than a cheap falling death it was the bosses that took all my lives.  Those ninja guys near the helicopter are the worst.

47 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Those ninja guys near the helicopter are the worst. 

Stand right at the nose of the helicopter.  When the ninjas charge you, jump and perform a cyclone kick.  You'll hit both of them at the same time.  They'll charge again two more times.  Repeat the same kick.  Once you get the timing down correctly this becomes the easiest boss fight in the game. 

22 hours ago, Tempest said:

Maybe that will help.  Other than a cheap falling death it was the bosses that took all my lives.  Those ninja guys near the helicopter are the worst.

They're one of the most annoying enemies in the game. As asponge said, try to do a cyclone kick as they're coming you. It's A+B and then A or B again at the peak of your jump. Even I have trouble doing it consistently and I've beaten this game many times. Regular jump kicks are okay against them as well.

You don't see them again until right before the final bosses where you have to face four (two at a time) on an isometric plane where they can jump around all over place and make your life hell.

Edited by mbd30

3 minutes ago, mbd30 said:

Once again, thanks for taking the effort to do these contests, asponge.

I appreciate the thanks.  It's no problem.

By the way I really wanted to take another run at this one but just didn't have the time this weekend.  I'll have to take another crack at your score when I get the time.

1 hour ago, asponge said:

I appreciate the thanks.  It's no problem.

By the way I really wanted to take another run at this one but just didn't have the time this weekend.  I'll have to take another crack at your score when I get the time.

A good player can get over 150k just from cyclone kicking everyone. I'm too inconsistent at the cyclone kicks.