IGNORED

SIO issues: Cannot use peripherals

2 hours ago, Porkchops & Applesauce said:

What's this magic you speak of?

I went through this for my 800XL, which looks like it has the same PCB version/layout as yours: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/290397-atari-sio-transmission-oscillogram/?do=findComment&comment=4262610

In short, desolder (or just cut out) C77 and C78. With various software and patches, this will allow faster SIO data rates when using an SIO2PC-USB, SIO2SD, etc. Optionally adding a 4k7 pullup resistor as pictured will allow the fastest speeds:

4k7.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porkchops & Applesauce said:

I already did a thorough cleaning on the regular 810, blasting the selector switches with contact cleaner.  Next, I'll do the Happy drive, and keep everyone posted on what happens.  Cheers friend!

If your 810's are earlier production units that still have the older combined power/analog function, they may have their own issues. A very high number of them failed very prematurely, and if they survived were not reliable. The "Grass Valley" set of upgrades included a new sideboard, ROM, data separator, and separate power & analog boards. (pretty much everything but the mech lol). If you look inside from the front of the drive and see a PCB mounted above the mech, that is a good sign some or all of those upgrades are present in that 810...

There is more than one way to enjoy a cassette....

and depending on what it is you are loading, you have to pick the correct method to get it Running

A. holding the START key on power up

B. CLOAD                       loads programs saved with CSAVE

C. LOAD "C:"                  loads programs saved with SAVE "C:"

D. ENTER "C:"                 loads programs saved with LIST "C:"

E. RUN "C:"                    loads and runs programs saved with SAVE "C:"

Maybe more or other because of loader and speeder and such.... some require user input..

22 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

can you show us a picture of your power supply?

Sure thing!

Can you check voltage under load

Steady 5.11VDC from all three + pins to motherboard ground while on.

do you see distortion / noise in the video or audio?

Hmmm... Audio from self test sounds crisp and clean.  For video, that's tough for me to answer.  I haven't seen this computer on in 20+ years, and have been using a 4K laptop monitor daily for the past two years.  Everything else looks distorted and noisy to me.  :) However, I've attached my best pic without the moire effect I could get so you can tell me what you think? 

Cheers friend!

20190923_193226.jpg

20190923_194343.jpg

@Nezgar

Thanks for the clarification and link.  Cool!  I'll keep this in mind once I get this thing back up and running properly.  Also, I do plan to get a SIO2PC-USB as I currently have no means to transfer files to/from my PC and Atari.  I have a disk set, Lightspeed C, that I want backed up since I've not seen it anywhere on the webs.  Cheers friend!

Edited by Porkchops & Applesauce
Wrong reference.

40 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

So I’m thinking the PIA command line, or pokey data out.

Thanks!  Yes, that seems to be the consensus, PIA and/or POKEY.  I found a source, Best Electronics that seem to have both at a comparably reasonable price. They're local too so hopefully I'll update everyone soon if it worked.  *fingers crossed*  Cheers friend!

22 hours ago, Nezgar said:

If you look inside from the front of the drive and see a PCB mounted above the mech, that is a good sign some or all of those upgrades are present in that 810

20190923_211236.thumb.jpg.769e6fd83bd89332e080d68ebe72a48a.jpg

Interesting.  Looks like I got lucky with both!  I did a little research... D1 (left) side board has red "C" sticker and says Tandon on the cast mech.  D2 (Happy - still needs cleaning to be truly :)) side board says "DSC". Doesn't say "Tandon" on the mech like the other, but does have the latch type door that I understand came later.  Cheers friend!

10 minutes ago, Porkchops & Applesauce said:

Interesting.  Looks like I got lucky with both!  I did a little research... D1 (left) side board has red "C" sticker and says Tandon on the cast mech.  D2 (Happy - still needs cleaning to be truly :)) side board says "DSC". Doesn't say "Tandon" on the mech like the other, but does have the latch type door that I understand came later.  Cheers friend!

Oh yeah, those are both the later Tandon mechanisms, so you're pretty much guaranteed to have all the updated electronics inside!

8 hours ago, Porkchops & Applesauce said:

Thanks!  Yes, that seems to be the consensus, PIA and/or POKEY.  I found a source, Best Electronics that seem to have both at a comparably reasonable price. They're local too so hopefully I'll update everyone soon if it worked.  *fingers crossed*  Cheers friend!

It oils also be a passive component in the path to the SIO port that is broken. Rare but has happened.  

On 9/23/2019 at 12:22 AM, Caterpiggle said:

That is strange, almost none of mine 800XL has that yellow wires. Strange enough ...

Two of my 800XLs have the factory installed wire, one does not.  The two with the wire are earlier, fully socketed Hong Kong made models and the one without it is a later, partially soldered Twain made board.

10 minutes ago, Caterpiggle said:

As for me, I need to open all Atari 800XL and see if it has add-on 1 or 2 wires , whatever the color is. Honesty, I do not remember any of mine 800XL has any wires ...

It’s normal.  Look away.    Atari played with multiple power feeds over there.  The changes are incorporated into later board revisions.  This was discussed in another thread. Possibly the prototype 130XE in an 800XL thread.  

@DrVenkman @_The Doctor__  RE: Ingot.  Isn't that swell?  Oh well, guess I'm in the market for a new power supply.  Or, if I'm feeling ambitious enough, I do happen to have an XL style black power supply for the 520ST I may gut/convert.  Anything about my peripheral power supplies I should be concerned with?  Cheers friends!

20190924_203615.thumb.jpg.4625ea2cc3fc77619d160c52c8bdd3c0.jpg

8 minutes ago, Porkchops & Applesauce said:

Anything about my peripheral power supplies I should be concerned with

These PSU's you show are all 9V AC units. They are all safe, simple transformers. If one is dead, it's most likely just a blown fuse inside. Replacing the fuse is usually all that's needed, but "getting in" requires a lot of effort to cut it open, and it won't "look pretty" afterwards. :) The one in the middle likely has a lower VA/amperage rating, maybe 15.3VA, since it was intended for a 400/800 computer with much lower demand than a disk drive. The disk drives mostly came with 31VA PSU's, except maybe the earliest 810's. Just don't use the lower rated PSU on a disk drive or you'll burn it out.

• Like 1