IGNORED

ICD MIO ROM variants? Dump yours!

Nezgar

you mean when you look at the data contained within the rom itself?

it's best to ask @MEtalGuy66, @warerat, and @phaeron about such things...

since you are looking in the roms... does 1.41 show 1.4.1? then you wouldn't have to ask anyone if 1.4.2 is the latest. But that's not the plug and go Atarian for sure.

1.1k 1.1m 1.41? 1.42? 1.4.1? 1.4.2?

the decimal place convention has been a bit of a niggle over the years...

1.4.2 could be between 1.4 and 1.4. But that isn't always the case. Some folks use the decimal as an implied .0 .1 .2 .3 and consider .2 above the other. The problem was always compounded by older file systems and naming conventions. The dots get dropped in the file name..... so on paper no problem, in the wild... a bit of confusion.

I do know there were ready to go bins for different eproms but I don't know if there were any differences in what they contain or which is prom is best for the MIO in spec/timing/access.

Edited by _The Doctor__

It's been a long time.  Warerat might know the answers to those questions. But, does it really matter? The ROM posted on my site is definitely the latest one intended for public release. Of that, you can be sure. 

If there is a "later" ROM, it's one that was given to someone as a special purpose tweak, and they leaked it out.

heads up for whatever reason, different parts of the rasterline.com site aren't there anymore, unless it's just my browser. I used to like checking in from time to time. Might want to click on all the buttons and see what's up. Was a place to see some interesting stuff.

edit- went back again and most of it appeared this time except the lab... were I received this error...

Not Found

The requested URL was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Edited by _The Doctor__

20 hours ago, MrFish said:

What's up with the MIO v1.4.1 firmware that's on Rasterline.com? When I look inside the ROM file, I see "Multi-I/O Configuration v1.4.2". I also see references to an MIO v1.4.2 in some other threads: ICD MIO and ACardAltirra 3.20 Released

I'd have to dig through my files and look at the code to see what was changed as it was quite some time ago, but I suspect it wasn't anything earth shattering between 1.4.1 and 1.4.2.  I vaguely remember even regressing back to an earlier version.

It's not really a big deal; but here's what I'm asking.

The firmware files I downloaded from Raterline.com all have filenames with 1.4.1 on them;

But when I look inside the firmware files themselves (any of them), I see this.

718536572_filecontents.png.d8378176751ea68ec614eb977dfea013.png

So, the question simply is: which is the correct version number of these firmware files I've downloaded?

Is the version number in their filenames correct (1.4.1), or is the version number text inside the ROM files correct (1.4.2)?

I'd think that what is in the ROM is the correct version,  sometimes a files gets replaced on web pages without updating the filename. I think we'll have all the answers you need when wererat gets back to you with his notes on the differences, and we get to here what's remembered.

• 11 months later...

Anyone know anything about and/or have the ROM for the MIO Diagnostics? What format was it released in - cartridge, or an replacement of the internal MIO ROM? I've never seen it before myself. Would probably be something smart to run on my units...

Saw it in one of the pictures of a recent action:

1647627748_MIODiagnosticsApr04.thumb.jpg.686f92e240234ced23da237ae6288600.jpg

13 minutes ago, Nezgar said:

What format was it released in - cartridge, or an replacement of the internal MIO ROM?

The MIO diagnostics ROM works in an SDX cartridge, reproductions of the PCB are available from @kenames99. You posted in the linked thread as well.

RealDOS also includes an executable file version.

Just now, BillC said:

The MIO diagnostics ROM works in an SDX cartridge, reproductions of the PCB are available from @kenames99. You posted in the linked thread as well.

RealDOS also includes an executable file version.

Thank you very much for the memory refresh! Ah yes I recall coming across both those you mentioned now!

1 hour ago, Nezgar said:

Anyone know anything about and/or have the ROM for the MIO Diagnostics? What format was it released in - cartridge, or an replacement of the internal MIO ROM? I've never seen it before myself. Would probably be something smart to run on my units...

I have this "Multi I/O Diagnostics", but it's dated "Oct 86".

MIO Diagnostics.rom

• Like 1

Doing some digging...

Looks like I had an MioDiag ROM already from somewhere in the past... Hex editor inspection shows the string "Multi I/O Diagnostics   Oct 86".

It looks like a simple 8KB ROM, with only 2717 bytes of code, the rest being $FF until init/run vectors at the end of the image. Is there something in the code that checks to see if its running from an SDX cart? Guess I have to try. :) (Edit: Yes it runs as an 8K cart in emulation)

565953250_MultiIODiagnosticsOct86.png.d687f2ca77c91f4fb11c2550a1e84ade.png

The MIODIAG.COM included in RealDOS 2.2 in a post from @MEtalGuy66 contains the string "Multi I/O Diagnostics Apr 04" and matches the version one in the above screenshot. The .COM is 2890 bytes, and is composed of 11 256 byte segments from $A000-$AAFF (2.75K), with a run address at $A000. This run address implies it was intended to run from cart, or was converted from cart, and could be easily converted to a cart image...

832328031_MultiIODiagnosticsApr04.png.eb1ee1b481731a217ac80a051dafa8fc.png

The MIODIAG.COM included in the current public release of RealDOS 1.0a build 30 has this text:

Multi I/O Diagnostics      Feb 13,2010
Copyright Intergraded Logic Systems
Telnet a real Atari BBS
tcpipexpress.com port 8888, 8889, 8890

This version loads 1 slightly bigger 3KB segment from $a000-abff, with a run address at $a000 as well.

1912507262_MultiIODiagnosticsFeb132010.png.7b7329941213fbfd408b65b67c3f4332.png

So of course the next logical question is if any of the actual testing code changed across versions. The menu options are identical.

Edit: hah, originally attached the ROM, but removing to avoid redundancy since @MrFish beat me to it. Maybe acquired from the same place? maybe Pigwa or something...

Edit2: Added screenshots from emulation

There's no difference in the ILS version. Steve Carden just "rebranded" it.. 

The program came from Mike Gustafson of ICD.. original designer of the MIO..  

In addition to the executable version, there are also two ROM versions of that test program. One is made to drop into the Atari's OS ROM socket, and one is made to go into an original ICD SpartDOS X cartridge..

I do have the source code for that program. 

Edited by MEtalGuy66
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, MEtalGuy66 said:

There's no difference in the ILS version. Steve Carden just "rebranded" it.. 

The program came from Mike Gustafson of ICD.. original designer of the MIO..  

I suspected this, thanks :) Any thoughts about the difference between the Oct 86 and Apr 04 versions? I suspect also just aesthetic changes by SJC. Did an executable of the Oct86 version exist prior to this?

35 minutes ago, MEtalGuy66 said:

...there are also two ROM versions of that test program. One is made to drop into the Atari's OS ROM socket, and one is made to go into an original ICD SpartDOS X cartridge..

Since the cart ROM is only 8KB and runs in the usual 8K Cart address space of $A000-BFFF, what advantage does it have by running from an SDX PCB instead of a regular 8KB cart? That would imply it makes use of the SDX PCB's ability to turn off the cartridge orr was there other code data in the remaining 7 banks of a 64K EPROM.

The 8KB ROM linked above does at least run enough to present a menu using a plain-jane 8KB cart, haven't actually tested with an MIO yet.

Its all the same program, feature-wise.. The only difference in any of the versions is how it's organized on the storage medium.. It well may be that the same ROM version works on either the os rom socket or the SDX cart, now that you bring up the fact that it's only 8k.  I cant remember. I do remember testing MIOs by running that program all 3 ways though. Steve Carden would be a better guy to ask about the particulars, and if anyone, he would be the one who has the authority/decision on sharing the source code. 

11 minutes ago, danwinslow said:

Is Steve Carden still active? Haven't seen him in quite a while.

He recently showed back up on the IRC channel.  He's had a really bad year with hip surgery and the death of his wife some months ago.  I'm only posting this now as he went public with it in the channel, and did say he is wanting to resume work on some Atari related projects.

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2019 at 12:44 PM, Nezgar said:

Attached is my copy, it identifies itself as:

Multi IO Disk Cache v2.6
Copyright 1991 by Craig Carter
All rights are reserved.

Was there ever a documentation text file to go along with this? Would love to obtain it... I always wondered if I reserved more than 32K for it if it was actually utilized...

Also attached are two commands that were useful with SpartaDos 3.3 to temporarily change the DOS signature/version number at $700/$701 to 3.2 and back to 3.3, otherwise MIOCACHE would refuse to run due to the DOS version check...

miocache.com 2.09 kB · 32 downloads setver32.com 12 B · 28 downloads setver33.com 12 B · 27 downloads

Another program that was not made to run with an update to the dos.  As soon as I get a chance I will fix it. I will have to create source then change the compiler type. Then re assemble it. I will fix it so that it will run with RealDos all versions and Spartados 3.3a,b,c,d since I did the update to drive 9 and the other cool stuff.

Steve.

On 4/3/2020 at 2:49 AM, MrFish said:

It's not really a big deal; but here's what I'm asking.

The firmware files I downloaded from Raterline.com all have filenames with 1.4.1 on them;

But when I look inside the firmware files themselves (any of them), I see this.

718536572_filecontents.png.d8378176751ea68ec614eb977dfea013.png

So, the question simply is: which is the correct version number of these firmware files I've downloaded?

Is the version number in their filenames correct (1.4.1), or is the version number text inside the ROM files correct (1.4.2)?

this is because the MIO Rom menu is in sbyte and copied to screen ram. You should learn how to code.

Steve

1 minute ago, Stephen J Carden said:

Another program that was not made to run with an update to the dos.  As soon as I get a chance I will fix it. I will have to create source then change the compiler type. Then re assemble it. I will fix it so that it will run with RealDos all versions and Spartados 3.3a,b,c,d since I did the update to drive 9 and the other cool stuff.

Steve.

Good to see you back and at it again Steve!

I think the MIOCACHE was the only program that I personally came across that needed the use of Setver32/33. MIOCache made a big improvement in startup time of BBS Express Pro though, as it scanned through the files & directories for message and file bases, etc. Still wonder if it ever had any accompanying release notes or documentation. Of course if you disassemble it all would also be revealed. :)

1 minute ago, Stephen J Carden said:

this is because the MIO Rom menu is in sbyte and copied to screen ram.

I think it was clear that the difference was between the filename of the ROM download ("1.4.1") but the string that is copied to screen ram would supposedly show "1.4.2".

On 3/14/2021 at 12:23 AM, Nezgar said:

There are two version of that file. one is the com file used to test the mio should your ramdisk do crazy things that is why it is part of the construction set. The Rom can be used in the SDX cart or Atari 8k cart. that is use since a cart boots first after the os. that is mio a just don't work but the atari does. Be damn carefull with this program. you can trash your scsi hardisk. You do a read write test to your mio scsi attached hd you will lose your info. you assume all damage to your data running this at the wrong time on your Harddisk. I do not provide ROM images of that file to anyone.

Edited by Stephen J Carden

3 minutes ago, Stephen J Carden said:

The Rom can be used in the SDX cart or Atari 8k cart.

Thanks for confirming this! I was able to run the ROM with just an 8k cart, so was wondering if there was some missing function by not using it in an SDX cart. An 8k cart PCB is much more easy to come by. :)

Did you ever make a ROM/cart version of the newer version included with RealDOS? Does newer version actually have new/different functions, or just a visual change?

2 minutes ago, Nezgar said:

Thanks for confirming this! I was able to run the ROM with just an 8k cart, so was wondering if there was some missing function by not using it in an SDX cart. An 8k cart PCB is much more easy to come by. :)

Do you have a ROM/cart version of the newer version included with RealDOS?

no. the only difference is they burned is MIKE G burned it into an 128k cart. the program is small enough to run on an 8k cart.

Edited by Stephen J Carden