IGNORED

Easter Eggs

Andrew Davie

An easter egg should be something that feels rewarding when you find it, so it should be well hidden and it should be almost a rumor. I would never fully reveal an easter egg, I would leave cryptic hints every now and then, and people can put two and two together. Like Shawn said, easter eggs can be anything you want it to be. From a cheeky reference to an unused music track, anything can be an easter egg. Just my opinion.

Edited by Magmavision2000

Uncovering a well-hidden secret sure makes news around here...so keep it to yourself if you programmed it. As long as the game still exists, somebody is bound to get it by accident eventually (when unaware that something is buried in there), or purposely (when knowing that something undiscovered IS hidden in there).

What it should "be" is something at least out of the ordinary...so that the "how the heck did THAT happen?" reaction is in full swing.

Preferably make it less annoying than the one in Yars' Revenge.  Game-wrecking eggs are often followed by games people give up on.

If you replace "plans" by "easter egg" this is my thinking on that issue...

“But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

the point: maybe you can make it too hard to find, so what's the point of having it?

• Like 1

Interesting topic.  

1) If we're talking through gameplay, it should be hard enough to find that not just anyone can find it, but simple enough that when found, it's seems like anyone could. The recently solved Haunted Adventure Trilogy Ultimate Easter egg comes to mind.  If it's a more mechanical Easter egg, I think it should be even more reasonable to find or some sort of hint provided. The paddle game Easter egg on the Flashback 2 makes sense, but only after you know about it. 

2) I think it should remain hidden until a player finds it. A good chunk of my interest in homebrews is searching for long lost Easter eggs.  It's another reason to pop in an older homebrew; to see if you can solve that last mystery.  I bought a couple games from the store for the sole purpose of searching for an Easter egg that remained hidden long after they had been released;  Haunted Adventure Trilogy comes to mind. 

3) The most fun Easter eggs are hidden games, followed by hidden enhancements to the game, found through playing in a slightly different manner.  Pitfall II on the 5200 is a good hybrid example.  Though not through gameplay, the one for the 2005 mini game multicart was great. It's a hidden game, you could stumble upon it by accident and might not even realize it, and clues were provided in the form of a poem and in the manual.

1 minute ago, McCallister said:

2) I think it should remain hidden until a player finds it. A good chunk of my interest in homebrews is searching for long lost Easter eggs.  It's another reason to pop in an older homebrew; to see if you can solve that last mystery.  I bought a couple games from the store for the sole purpose of searching for an Easter egg that remained hidden long after they had been released;  Haunted Adventure Trilogy comes to mind. 

There's a difference between knowing one is there, but not how to get it, and not knowing if one is there at all.

I think you wouldn't pop in an older homebrew to find an easter egg... if you didn't KNOW there was one there.

Just now, Andrew Davie said:

There's a difference between knowing one is there, but not how to get it, and not knowing if one is there at all.

I think you wouldn't pop in an older homebrew to find an easter egg... if you didn't KNOW there was one there.

True. I meant I would buy a homebrew that maybe I passed over once I knew there was an Easter egg there that had not been found. Haunted Adventure Trilogy comes to mind. 

Well, mostly true. At one time, I bought and searched for an egg in Elevators Amiss because I thought there might be one there, with no mention of it ever having one by the programmer.  Probably doesn't have one, but that didn't stop me from checking. 

Could it not be fun for the programmer to put in an egg and never say anything about it? Just to see if anyone can find it?

Wasn't Haunted Trilogy crazy stupid though?

I found the T:ME Salvo one on accident/purpose. And the Granny one in Stella's Stocking. The first one anyone can do easily and would be during normal gameplay. Stella's Granny one is easy if you know it or know the hints. Otherwise I don't think it would have been found on normal gameplay.