IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season #11 - Game 6 - Thunder Castle

*Intellivision HSC Season 11*

(Game 6)

Thunder Castle

image.png.4df4c30d87c15dd3fbc16be28ee95ee1.png

Thunder Castle by Mattel Electronics 1982/6

A whimsical new medieval fantasy game. You're the knight in shining armor on your quest for survival.

ROM Download Link

https://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/21630/intellivision/Thunder-Castle-1982-Mattel.html

High Score Club Record

54,800 ghsqb 223,600 IntyFanMatt (New record!)

Game Setting

DISC (PRESS DISC)

Contest Ends
SUNDAY OCTOBER 6TH 11:59PM EST

(HIGH SCORES)

1. 223,600 IntyFanMatt [+11] [+2] winner [+2] new record]

2. 109,000 m-crew [+10]

3. 36,100 Bamse [+9]

4. 34,100 wolfy2 [+7]

5. 32,900 mr_me [+6]

6. 23,100 mr_intv [+5]

7. 19,700 bugcatcher88 [+4]

8. 17,900 felson42 [+3]

9. 13,200 JacobZu7zu7 [+2]

10. 7,100 ClassicGMR [+1]

11. 4,200 JasonlikesINTV [+1]

Rankings

1. Bamse [68]

2. JacobZu7zu7 [52]

3. IntyfanMatt [50]

4. m-crew [44]

5. felson42 [33]

6. wolfy62 [24]

6. JasonlikesINTV [24]

8. ClassicGMR [22]

9. dpisacane [15]

9. mr_me [15]

11. Mister-VCS [9]

12. jblenke [8]

13. mr_intv [6]

13. bugcatcher88 [6]

15. S.BAZ [1]

Games Won

2 - Bamse (Shark! Shark! Beauty & the Beast)

1 - mr_me (Vectron)

1 - IntyFanMatt (Stampede)

1 - m-crew (Thin Ice)

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

Get familiar with the grail and the crown.  And don't bother chasing the red guardians, they're faster than you.

Looks like you might be able to score in this game by avoiding the guardians and collecting objects.  The game I went the farthest was not the one I scored the most points in.

thunder2.thumb.png.790a96300d74b648a55fbcd2b71ed46d.png

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Looks like you might be able to score in this game by avoiding the guardians and collecting objects.  The game I went the farthest was not the one I scored the most points in.

Yeah you could employ a point farming technique like that, but the problem is it will take forever to build up a great score that way. The game is just too slow for that and it can literally take hours. 

39 minutes ago, felson42 said:

Is there a trick to catching the mouse? I can’t ever get him!

Just keep following him around and stay close to him. He should stop and enable you to touch him every now and then. But the meat of the game is in the items. Use those to your advantage (except for comb lol) more than trying to catch the critters. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt

1 hour ago, felson42 said:

Thanks for the tips. I’m getting better. This game is a blast. I got through all three levels and back to the first. Changing the bats to blend in with the background, now that’s a creative way for the designer to add difficulty!

You’re welcome. This game is awesome. Easily in my top 5 Intellivision games ever. Great graphics and sound that really push the system to its limits. I heard the homebrew Mystic Castle is even better since they sped up the knight in it. Just need to get an LTO Flash so I can play it. Don’t want to do the emulator thing. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt

I think the bonuses in Beauty and the beast have put things out of reach. 

Its really not equal to all if some games have them and some games don’t. 

Thats my opinion because you can rack up tons of points in some games and none in others.  (Like in beauty and the beast)

Just my opinion. 

In my case the game I went to level three had several thousand more points than the game I went to level five.  Not sure I'd call it point farming but I had trouble chasing down some of the guardians and ended up collecting more objects.  I knew it was giving me more points as well.

You can rank results either by level reached or total points, that's up to the judge.  Not sure if awarding bonus points is fair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m-crew said:

I think the bonuses in Beauty and the beast have put things out of reach. 

Its really not equal to all if some games have them and some games don’t. 

Thats my opinion because you can rack up tons of points in some games and none in others.  (Like in beauty and the beast)

Just my opinion. 

I agree.  It's tough when a game allows point farming.  I think Jacob had the best intentions when trying to do award the "highest level achieved" in Beauty in the Beast rather than just points because they could be farmed forever.  So maybe there should be something like that in this game too.

54 minutes ago, mr_me said:

You can rank results either by level reached or total points, that's up to the judge.  Not sure if awarding bonus points is fair.

Jacob ranked both for Beauty and the Beast...points and highest level achieved.  Am asking to see if he wants to do the same with this game as the situation is similar.  

12 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I agree.  It's tough when a game allows point farming.  I think Jacob had the best intentions when trying to do award the "highest level achieved" in Beauty in the Beast rather than just points because they could be farmed forever.  So maybe there should be something like that in this game too.

I agree Jacob had good best intentions for sure.  But unless there is equal amount of points  achieved and available on every game. I think things should be left at highest points.  

1 minute ago, m-crew said:

I agree Jacob had good best intentions for sure.  But unless there is equal amount of points  achieved and available on every game. I think things should be left at highest points.  

I would be good with that, BUT, in games that allow point farming like that you can have people doing it forever in the first level and never progressing through the game.  I feel like there should be some progression, so I do think there needs to be a certain minimum progression set in order to "qualify" a score for the HSC.  Just my thoughts.