IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season #11 - Game 6 - Thunder Castle

9 minutes ago, Bamse said:

Haven't been following this thread so I'll have to have a read through. Sounds like this game has been controversial.

Not really controversial, but just to easy to farm with no challenge of getting killed or advancing.. And unlike beauty and the beast there is no way of telling what level you achieved except for 1 to 3. It just not right to give people more points for time sitting farming points ... It doesnt really even get hard that you will get killed and lose your lives.. You can play on for ever until you choose to kill yourself off by suicide... lol   

4 minutes ago, Bamse said:

Yep, farming is a slippery slope. Its why its banned on score record sites.

Of course the HSC is meant to be an informal fun competition but also of course, there is no competition without rules.

maybe said rules could be looked into for the next season.

Yes fun for sure, but I just think games that can be farmed and do not have a level count or id should not be played in a HSC.. It just turns out not to be fun fair competition.. ... If you know what I mean...   Im not trying to stir things up just to be fair to all playing here.. I know we are all playing here for fun and good people here.. I loved our fun battles last year in the HSC.. No games were farming games it was all matter of skill and time played learning or relearning the game.. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, m-crew said:

Yes fun for sure, but I just think games that can be farmed and do not have a level count or id should not be played in a HSC.. It just turns out not to be fun fair competition.. ... If you know what I mean...   Im not trying to stir things up just to be fair to all playing here.. I know we are all playing here for fun and good people here.. I loved our fun battles last year in the HSC.. No games were farming games it was all matter of skill and time played learning or relearning the game.. 

Agreed. Farming detracts from the fun of the game. It then turns into a marathon competition which whilst is skillful in its own right, is not what I want to do in the HSC. its not a criticism of that technique, its a bit like speed running. That takes tremendous skill I just have no interest in doing it. 

This is a great competition with really nice people taking part. I enjoy every moment of it and also, I loved our back and forth last season. Even though in the end you were crowned the Champ I enjoyed it thoroughly and it was well deserved my friend :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bamse said:

Agreed. Farming detracts from the fun of the game. It then turns into a marathon competition which whilst is skillful in its own right, is not what I want to do in the HSC. its not a criticism of that technique, its a bit like speed running. That takes tremendous skill I just have no interest in doing it. 

This is a great competition with really nice people taking part. I enjoy every moment of it and also, I loved our back and forth last season. Even though in the end you were crowned the Champ I enjoyed it thoroughly and it was well deserved my friend :)

Thanks Brother !!!  It was a fun battle right to the end that's for sure... That's what the goal of a HSC fun times playing great games and competing with good people..  Cheers to that.. 

• Like 2

On 9/24/2019 at 6:43 PM, JacobZu7zu7 said:

Problem with this game, is there's no level number visible on screen. I guess we just play on, farm a bit if want to... but don't just stay on level 1, which would be an easy way to score high.

Later levels its not easy to farm anyway. If I remember correct.

Games with maze boosts should reward the BIG points for clearing the stage, and keep points earned during levels low.

According to this, excessive farming is not allowed for this competition and the top two scores would be disqualified.

I think in the future, the best thing for Thunder Castle is to rank by progression.  For example, here it might have been something like this.

Intyfanmatt  9-8

M-crew  9-2

mr_me  7-0

Felson42  4-1

There's lots of intellivision games where you can't tell what skill level or speed is being played.  We go by the honour system here.  Other places have you submit a video where you can see the level, speed, or even point farming.  Maybe for some of these games we can ask one of the programmers to hack the rom to display that info at the end of the game.

Edited by mr_me

3 hours ago, Bamse said:

Farming detracts from the fun of the game. It then turns into a marathon competition which whilst is skillful in its own right, is not what I want to do in the HSC

Totally agree with what you are saying here and what m-crew has said about this game.  This game probably wasn’t a great choice for the HSC and has become a farming competition, which isn’t fun at all. It certainly takes a lot of the skill out of it, and getting to higher levels can’t truly be verified.  It’s boring to sit down for hours and farm for a lot of points without much challenge.  I still love this game and it’s one of my favorites for the system, but it’s just not a good one for this competition.  I enjoy playing all these games for fun with you guys and look forward to more in the near future. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

According to this, excessive farming is not allowed for this competition and the top two scores would be disqualified.

I farmed most of my points on level 3, not level 1, and still progressed to level 9 in the game which is not easy, as did m-crew. With all due respect, I don’t see how our scores should be disqualified and I don’t interpret Jacob’s post in that matter. What I understood by his post is that he didn’t want anyone to stay on level 1, which neither of us did. Overall, I think we all feel like this game wasn’t a great choice for the HSC, but we still advanced pretty far in the game with lots of points. 

8 hours ago, mr_me said:

I think in the future, the best thing for Thunder Castle is to rank by progression.  For example, here it might have been something like this.

Intyfanmatt  9-8

M-crew  9-2

mr_me  7-0

Felson42  4-1

There's lots of intellivision games where you can't tell what skill level or speed is being played.  We go by the honour system here. 

I dont think there should be inthe future for this game.  And as i mentioned just participation points given.. and yes an hour system for what skill level you play but for levels reached i dont think its the same... because most games in what ever level you play when you reach the high points its an equal playing field and theres a way of seeing how far you progressed...

Edited by m-crew
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, m-crew said:

I dont think there should be inthe future for this game.  And as i mentioned just participation points given.. and yes an hour system for what skill level you play but for levels reached i dont think its the same... because most games in what ever level you play when you reach the high points its an equal playing field and theres a way of seeing how far you progressed...

Agreed

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bamse said:

BTW, I'm not putting in the hours like you guys. I'm already in the doghouse with the misses for spending too long on that "bloody intenvision" lol

Bwahahaha. I hear ya. My wife hates my Intellivision sitting in the family room taking up space. But when I play it with my son, it’s all ok. Lol. 

• Like 2

I like this game.

I really want to LOVE this game but I just can't... Yes it's visually impressive. Great for the day and age. Large scale. Lots to do.

But it is exceptionally frustrating to finish levels. I do not want to spend 15 minutes trying to kill one thing on one board just to do it again on the next board. The payoff vs frustration is just not worth it.

So yeah... I like this game but not enough to keep playing it. I can only take this in small doses. ?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ClassicGMR said:

I like this game.

I really want to LOVE this game but I just can't... Yes it's visually impressive. Great for the day and age. Large scale. Lots to do.

But it is exceptionally frustrating to finish levels. I do not want to spend 15 minutes trying to kill one thing on one board just to do it again on the next board. The payoff vs frustration is just not worth it.

So yeah... I like this game but not enough to keep playing it. I can only take this in small doses. ?

That’s why I like the 3 level screen. Faster pace and quicker to kill the demons.  If they don’t kill you first.  

Just to boring and frustrating especially when they get faster than you in the first to screens. 

8 hours ago, ClassicGMR said:

I like this game.

Once they are faster than you, it's all about using the items to your advantage.  Use the crown and the grail the most, and you will get them.  And once you have mastered the art of using your items wisely, the game becomes soooo much better.

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ClassicGMR said:

I like this game.

I can see where you are coming from and I would suggest you try Mystic Castle.

2 hours ago, m-crew said:

That’s why I like the 3 level screen. Faster pace and quicker to kill the demons.  If they don’t kill you first.  

Just to boring and frustrating especially when they get faster than you in the first to screens. 

Should be able to get through the forest stage quick.  With the grail you can lure the gold dragon to the castle and take out both it and the red dragon while you're still energised.  You can use the this technique in other stages once you know where they spawn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

Nice.  Is that level eight?  I had a similar score on level nine but a comb cut it in half.

I believe so.

I had a slightly better score than that too, and not paying attention I picked up a comb. Boy is that frustrating,its deflating and almost like starting over.