IGNORED

New - Never Used Adam the Colecovision Family Computer System Value?

DevilDog07

Hello,

My name is Branden and I joined the forum to get information on the value of a Adam the Colecovision Family Computer System that is new but open box. It's never been used!

I am selling it for me Grandmother. My grandfather passed away last year and he was big into video games  (Atari, Turbographx, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Nintendo, etc...). He bought the Adam the Colecovision Family Computer System  new when it came out but other than opening the manual/instructions, he never used it. It's been sitting in his closet still int he original packaging (box, plastic, styrofoam, etc...).

I've seen them on ebay listed for many different prices. From like $200 up to $600. Where might this fall? Especially given its new, never used and still in all its original packaging?

Thank you in advanced for all your help! I played games with my grandfather from the atari onward growing up and love technology but honestly am not familiar with this system or it's worth.

Thank you,

Branden

PS

I have attached images for your reference.

20190923_180248.jpg

20190923_180448.jpg

20190923_180456.jpg

20190923_180535.jpg

20190923_180755.jpg

20190923_180823.jpg

20190923_180829.jpg

• Like 1

Cool grandpa, sorry about his passing.  You were lucky enough to play some of those systems with him; mine was a master electrician who was into cars & electronics (obviously) but he passed on before we got to share in any of that. 

Others can chime in with the value on this, I picked up several 15+ years ago (1 CIB/sold as "new" but wasn't, 1 expansion module # 3 CIB and another Adam complete but no original box/packaging) so I doubt I could be any help here. 

Two things to check though: are the digital data packs still shrink wrapped and have you hooked it up and tested to see it still works?  (If memory serves the Adam boots to the built in SmartWriter).

Hey 128Kgame, thanks for the quick response and kind words!

So for the digital packs, I assume you mean the three cassettes? (Buck rogers, SmartBASIC, etc..) They are not shrink wrapped. Does this mean my grandpa must of opened them? Would it have definitely been sold this way?

This will probably sound stupid, but I figured I should make sure it actually works, but given the information that it was never used, i didnt know if i did if that, it would decrease the value at all.

Typing that out right now, I realize it probably wouln't and I should do that even though my grandmother said he never used it, I should probably still test it. It's not like it's factory sealed, the box was definitely opened and inspected. The rest looks like it was never actually taken out of packages, but i should still test it regardless?

Yeah, that's my guess on the data packs. 

My "new" CIB Adam had the data packs sealed, and there was also a set of 4 adhesive feet for the printer and I want to say grease for the printer (I think) which if opened or installed could mean it was at least tested. 

There was also a demo print job in the printer which I think was how they shipped (test print at the factory?).

Unfortunately for me my "new" printer was severely corroded internally, so I didn't consider it new new.  I picked up another Adam for parts to complete it.

As a collector, unless the entire system is sealed, I want to know that it works and was tested.  Buying it as CIB you could list it "as new" and tested / working with pics / video should bring in higher price, as opposed to "untested".

As Adams have a poor reliability record, I would consider your options.

1 hour ago, DevilDog07 said:

This will probably sound stupid, but I figured I should make sure it actually works, but given the information that it was never used, i didnt know if i did if that, it would decrease the value at all.

Yeah, personally, if your goal is to sell this as still "new in box" which I *guess* it still is, if you unwrap everything and test it, then that might decrease what you would get because then all that wrapper would no longer be "unopened."

But if it turns out that those items HAVE actually been opened and re-wrapped, then it might be worth testing out?  I'm not sure.  I'm also not sure how much actual value having the original plastic wrap untouched around that stuff really gets you,  unless you found a buyer that doesn't want to actually USE the system, and just wants as pristine of a "new" system as possible for a collection.

Good points! I'm sure someone buying it would definitely want to know it's working, as they are buying it to use for nostalgic reasons or similar. It would still be "new"ish and working would be good value for a collector.

Okay, so let say i test it and all is good to go, what is the current market value given the condition?

I would venture a guess that your grandpa did remove the individual items from the box and plastic bags especially seeing as the data packs are not shrinkwrapped and the 2 printer cords are not neatly bound up like they were shipped by Coleco. Of course, that does not mean that the system was all connected and used and no way to know beyond a reasonable doubt.

The box you have never came sealed however Coleco did ship them to wholesalers in a brown corrugated shipping box. Some stores removed the Adam box from the shipping box for display purposes and others did not.

Untested in the excellent physicsl condition, I would say about $300.

Tested and working, you should be able to get considerably more but you never know especially due to the high cost to ship these behemoths.

Good Luck.

I'm in eastern PA. Looks like you are in Chicago? Yea I dont even know how much its gonna be to ship this big guy.

Did a quick check on USPS for possible shipping price. Put in 50lbs and 38x20x10 size shipping to 60007 and it says $72 (to give an idea)

FYI: Getting adapter tomorrow to be able to boot it up and connect to my tv to test it out to confirm it works.

Edited by DevilDog07
Update
  • Thanks 1

The best answer and most accurate price is simply "what someone is willing to pay for it." No more. No less.

Just present the system in the best light possible, and answer any potential buyer questions as best you can. Fulfill any specific phot requests. That should do it and make for a pleasant transaction.

Interesting!  DevilDog07, I love your screen name, but more to the point I am also from Eastern PA!  Fun to see where these things wind up.  I have an ADAM - they are very hardy machines IMHO, much more so than the actual ColecoVisions.  My ColecoVision held out for a long while but was often dodgy and finally died.  The ADAM?  Puts out an image like the day it was born.

it’s yellowed as all holy hell, but you can’t have everything I guess!

Thanks for all the responses and input everyone. I got my adapter in this past weekend and was able to test it and I am happy to say that it works 100%!

While testing buck rogers, I did notice that my Grandpas name was in the high scores. So this is not brand new never used... but this thing is in perfect consition as if it was new!

It makes sense, because my Grandpa was the kind of guy that took excellent care of his gaming systems and such. Kept them in great condition, kept the boxes, manuals, etc..

So this is 100% working "Like New" excellent condition with all original packaging (including plastic, styrafoam and box) and all manuals.

Now gotta see what it's worth. There is a similar listing on ebay for $599. I'd rather sell local to avoid shipping damages but I'd also want a fair price for the condition, contents and it working flawlessly. But open to shipping as well... if anyone is interested, please let me know. I don't want to sell to a reseller, rather a collector or someone with a personal connection.

20190929_200441.jpg

20190929_201424.jpg

1 hour ago, DevilDog07 said:

Thanks for all the responses and input everyone. I got my adapter in this past weekend and was able to test it and I am happy to say that it works 100%!

While testing buck rogers, I did notice that my Grandpas name was in the high scores. So this is not brand new never used... but this thing is in perfect consition as if it was new!

It makes sense, because my Grandpa was the kind of guy that took excellent care of his gaming systems and such. Kept them in great condition, kept the boxes, manuals, etc..

So this is 100% working "Like New" excellent condition with all original packaging (including plastic, styrafoam and box) and all manuals.

Now gotta see what it's worth. There is a similar listing on ebay for $599. I'd rather sell local to avoid shipping damages but I'd also want a fair price for the condition, contents and it working flawlessly. But open to shipping as well... if anyone is interested, please let me know. I don't want to sell to a reseller, rather a collector or someone with a personal connection.

20190929_200441.jpg

20190929_201424.jpg

Dude, your Grandpa's name was in the high score - keep it, don't sell it. 

Honestly, unless you are hard up for cash, this is something you should hold onto, period.  I wish I had something this cool form my grandfather like his Nova SS but it was sold on me before I got the chance to say I wanted it. 

You can always find another Adam.  

You will never find another Adam that belonged to your Grandfather that he played with.  

Just don't ever beat his high score...

I totally get what you are saying and agree, but i have things of his that I am keeping that have an actual personal connection. We played a lot of video games together growing up. Especially his Turbografx, SegaCD and Nintendo.

I have all of these and will not sell them and instead actually play them. He also had a huge 40ft x 10ft Slot Car Track that I was in racing with him all the time and I have all my cars I used with him.

So I have all the things I'd want that are a personal connection and great memories. The Adam I do not have any connection with and I really don't think he played it much. My Grandmaother doesnt even remember him buying it or using it. Of course she's a little old lol but her memory is still solid. She wants me to sell it for her.

So with the being said, that's why I'd like someone else who'd appreciate it more or has a personal connection with it, buy and have it.

Edited by DevilDog07
  • Thanks 1

I bought a never used system for $1000
The guy owns FUDDS gaming and he forgot to mention that this "NEVER USED" did not come with manuals.

So, if you were to sell it, be up front about everything.
He shipped by dimensions of the box and not necessarily by weight.

Keep the Data Packs SEALED....That is a sure sign of NEVER USED.  Same as no wear or magnetic dust on the data drive head.
The Rubber feet, daisy wheel ribbon, the oil, the dust rag for the oil, the way the video cable is bent.
The condition of the Box, the Styrofoam, if the box comes in the original shipping container.
Yellowing of the casing, keyboard being the worst.

All of these factors contribute to the worth and value to collectors.

I just posted someone else  ADAM for $169 + cheap shipping so they are a dime a dozen.  Value comes with use.

I personally have 11 as of today that I am modifying, upgrading and reselling.

The type of Manuals you have are from the older version.  The Data Drive you can tell by the screws holding in the motors what version and if they were prone to breaking down.  If it has a spring to eject the tape, the shape of the sensor pin, beveled spindles...

Which revision press control R at first boot screen.  R80 was the latest commercial release.

Accessories like Modem and Memory expander are a plus.

Disk Drives are prime targets especially if they are CIB "Complete in Box"  Why when you can now use virtual disk drives.
Around $130 or make your own for $20

I know when I bought mine from FUDD I tested it and immediately it went up in white smoke.

So selling never used means do not use or test....You are not breaking any rules and if it doesn't work then you are stuck.

These machines were give and take.  They broke down all the time but I have found some that lasted the test of time.
I have one that was rusted through and through but a tiny bit of work and it's running fine.

I will say that I will NEVER buy another system like this for $1k or trust another person off EBAY.

I'll never trust FUDD's gaming ever again that's for damn sure.

And last...don't get suckered into thinking that all this stuff is valuable collectors items or you may go broke and disappointed..

This "Nostalgia" crap is all artificially kept high but in the end it is what you want to pay for it and can afford.

Remember...It's like a Star Trek convention...Fun to visit but it's a business in the end and those sellers are there to SELL.

So, just a few tips and advice.

Edited by Mike Harris

Here is a prime example of someone who has zero clue and thinks just because they have a good looking box that it is worth something.

You can't tell if it's complete, it's missing Styrofoam pieces and it's been used.  Not to mention a really yellowed keyboard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colecovision-ADAM-Family-Computer-System/123931178788?hash=item1cdadfb724:g:cZsAAOSwwS5dmpd8

A $1000...I don't think so.

8 hours ago, Mike Harris said:

Here is a prime example of someone who has zero clue and thinks just because they have a good looking box that it is worth something.

You can't tell if it's complete, it's missing Styrofoam pieces and it's been used.  Not to mention a really yellowed keyboard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colecovision-ADAM-Family-Computer-System/123931178788?hash=item1cdadfb724:g:cZsAAOSwwS5dmpd8

A $1000...I don't think so.

I saw that.  The previous link you posted for $169 is more realistic and is about what i'd pay once i was looking for one.  Mint and Unused is nice and all, but tested and known working is much better. 

• 1 year later...