IGNORED

Atari 800 Mylar variants?

adam1977

4 minutes ago, slx said:

Pre-ordered two to have a spare and keep things moving in the right direction....

Please let us know if you'd need a higher price in case there are insufficient pre-orders to sustain production at the price quoted.

I don't think it would be worth ordering less than 100 - prices would then be:

100 membranes - £22 each + p&p

250 membranes - £15 each + p&p

500 membranes - £12 each + p&p

If I order 50 you would be looking at around £40 each !

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 1:50 PM, adam1977 said:

How many mylar variants for the Atari 800 exist? Is there just this one, the Mitsumi KSD-A58AU?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

To my knowledge, the Mitsumi is the only one.  It was the last batch of 800 keyboards made as Atari was transitioning to replacing the 800 with the 1200XL as the flagship.  Same design as the 1200XL and had the same flaw.  There is a 1/4" by 2" piece of tape that covers the gold plated contact fingers on the PCB to the mylar.  It's function was to provide positive pressure between the PCB and mylar to ironically ensure good continuity.  Over time, that tape oxidized and caused it to become an insulator (just the opposite of it's intended purpose).  You just have to remove the tape, clean off the gold plated PCB fingers and repaint the graphite conductive fingers on the mylar that got damaged when you remove the tape.  You have to build up the conductive paint (I use BARE conductive paint) with a toothpick to ensure its thick enough to be higher than the white silicon spacer around it.  This ensures good contact when assembled.  I have yet to find one mylar that could not be saved in this manner and I've done a few dozen (1200XL and 800).  

As to how many to order, that can be tricking.  There were about 110,000 1200XLs made and only ~400 cataloged in the 1200XL owners thread.  I assume even fewer 800's with the Mitsumi keyboards were made, so how many can there still be out there?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 quid is still cheaper than a NOS Stackpole from Best or myatari which has bad plungers....

Hope there will be a few more willing....

I‘ll try to post this elsewhere but the 800 is such a rare beast in Europe that it‘s pretty unlikely to gather much echo. Keyboards failing internally probably condemned a large percentage of affected machines to the landfill...

I‘ll only try conductive paint when this project is declared dead....

Any good source for conductive paint in Europe?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 11:24 AM, ACML said:

As to how many to order, that can be tricking.  There were about 110,000 1200XLs made and only ~400 cataloged in the 1200XL owners thread.  I assume even fewer 800's with the Mitsumi keyboards were made, so how many can there still be out there?

I never put my 800 in the Registry because I changed the bottom plastic, so S/N is invalid.

There may be many others like this.

Just a thought.