IGNORED

Rarest Stuff You Own?(including Atari)

bluejay

A bunch of things...  A Vectrex with a bunch of games, a Virtual Boy fully working with like 6 games...  I was a big Neo-Geo AES fan back in the day, I had one a few months after release.  I have Viewpoint Neo-Geo cart (and about 6-7 others) and Lords of Thunder for the Duo... 2 of the more pricier games I have that come to mind right now. 

I collected back in the day 80's and 90's. Back in the mid 80's I took an ad out in the paper for buying games... I got lots of 2600, 5200, and even got an Arcadia 2001 with like 15 games, plus handfuls of other consoles for pennies on the dollars. 

Some stuff that comes to mind:

Fairchild dustcloth (Channel F item - I've never seen or heard of another one)

Video Whizball (Channel F - cart only...this one also wins the award for "most money I've ever spent on a single game")

Stadium Mud Buggies (Intellivision - cart only)

Sylvania system (boxed, although no manual...also the box is beat to shit lol)

Tandy 2 (TRS-80 Model II system rebadged for third-party sale; I've only heard of one or two others, and mine is different than even those)

Sega Galaga (SG-1000 - cart only)

DINA system (Coleco/SG-1000 compatible console w/ new box; working!)

Princess Rescue (Atari 2600 - cart + manual)

PC-Man (IBM/PC - original disk, complete in plastic case/packaging)

Starblaze 100 (TRS-80 Model 100 - complete)

Crystal Castles (Atari XEGS - cart only)

Astrocade multicart

Powerlords (Odyssey 2 - cart only)

Odyssey (CIB with all overlays and unopened game pieces, although console is not functioning correctly)

MagiCard (Atari 2600 - Sunmark repro w/ manual, cassette interface schematic, and keyboard controller overlays)

Arcadia 2001 system + 12 or 14 CIB games

Blackjack and Hangman (Atari 2600 - Atari Corp. variants)

Basketball (Atari 2600 - Sears picture variant)

Commodore PET 2001 (original 8K, version 1 BASIC configuration)

Tano Dragon (NIB)

Super Pong IV (Boxed; this is the Sears version of the Atari Super Pong Pro-Am Ten system, and not to be confused with their other, far more common, woodgrain-clad "Super Pong IV")

• Like 2

A Russian guy showed up on the Amstrad CPC forums some years ago. He claimed he had designed an Amstrad CPC clone for the Russian company he was working for, in the early nineties -a company located in Omsk, in the remote Ural Mountains. But more outstanding, he stated that his Amstrad CPC clone was partially compatible with the MSX standard: it had a dual boot system, and was able to run some patched MSX and MSX2 games, and MSX-DOS too, he said. Almost all the forum users expressed their doubts about the existence of this computer, and some even said the guy was a liar.

The story caught my attention and I spent the following weeks asking some Russian sellers about the computer. I even had a purchase request for the computer translated to Russian, and I emailed it to people I didn't know, people who were selling old electronics stuff and were located in the Omsk area.

Finally I got an email (in Russian) from a seller who said he could provide the computer for USD 350, including shipping costs. Payment in advance. He sent some pictures.

I trusted him, and thus I got an Aleste 520EX:

21466245266_0917900816_z.jpgAleste 520EX

Later, I managed to ask some questions to the Russian guy, the original designer of the computer. And last year, another Russian seller auctioned on eBay some boards to build a modified Aleste, the Aleste 2018, and I am currently working on it -it's almost finished:

48995371198_cf171dcb50_z.jpgAleste 2018 PCB

Edited by deepfb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I heard of it, and I'm impressed!

CPC clones are rare, I suppose because of the custom chip inside that couldn't be easily copied, unlike the MSX - the most famous clone (more or less, it's more "powerful enough to run MSX games with a few modifications") is the Vector 06-C which I own.

Congrats on finding that machine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bruce Tomlin said:

I love that chip with the two windows that show part of its lead frame. KR18108G72A date code 9306... can't find anything on Google though. Another chip has an 8809 date and Made in CCCP. I wonder if they're 0.1" spacing or metric...

Actually, it is an Intel 8272 FDC, the floppy disc controller. The original nomenclature is КР1810ВГ72А (KR1810VG72A in latin script). It is not  so uncommon, it is used on some Russian ZX Spectrum clones too, and you can even purchase it in Amazon ?

Here is a picture of it on an original Aleste board:

5406954285_f5fcafc66d_z.jpgPatisonic Aleste 520EX

The only metric-spacing ICs I have met on this project are the dual memory ICs, 1802ИР1 (1802IR1). It has been a pain to find the model manufactured in DIP plastic package, which are regular spacing (named KP1802IR1).

Edited by deepfb

Aaah thanks you! From fiddling with a few Soviet computers (Elektronika BK, Orel BK-08, Vector 06c and Lvov (Lviv) PC-01, that chip number was familiar, but I couldn't remember why.

(For people non versed in cyrillic, BK stand for "бытовой компьютер" which is simply "Home/domestic Computer". So you could just replace it with "PC" if you wanted, to convey the meaning of the translation)

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 11:21 PM, BassGuitari said:

Some stuff that comes to mind:

A couple more things I was reminded of:

JVC X'Eye (w/matching JVC controller, RF adapter, and power supply)

Golden Axe Warrior (Master System, cart only...after Video Whizball for Channel F, a close second for title of "most money I spent on a single game" lol)

Anti-Aircraft (Arcade)

Vectrex (not really THAT rare, but expensive enough now that they may as well be)

NES Toploader

Intellivision Music Synthesizer

Wico Command Control joystick (for Colecovision...pretty high in the running for "least comfortable controller I've ever used")

Odyssey Adventure magazines (not super rare, but interesting shortlived tidbits from the Odyssey 2's twilight years)+

"Apple II+1" (Apple II+ with a Brainboard equipped with Apple II Rev. 0 ROMs in one bank, and "Wozanium" Apple-1 ROM in the other; so this system can operate as a standard Apple II+, an original Apple II, or an Apple-1...although I guess this is only "rare" to the extent that it's custom)

Original Apple II game paddles

Samurai Shodown 2 (NeoGeo, CIB)

A couple of ActionMax tapes (I forget which ones)

Flood It (TRS-80 Color; "Prototype"/Pre-release/demo cartridge that I bought directly from Evan Wright at VCF Midwest a few years back)

On 11/28/2019 at 6:12 PM, Jumpman1981 said:

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is a numbered text label Indy 500. 

#text Indy 500s are rare? I didn't know that.

I got mine in an $8 bundle including Pole Position and Sears Text Missile Command, with the Indy 500.

Edit: Just checked, and it's rarity 3.

Edited by bluejay

1 hour ago, AtariRx said:

Also have a Starlight N64 Fun Center, the ones that were used in hospitals. I doubt there are many of those still around. 

We still have hospitals all over the place around here!

My rarest game would have to be Blackjack for the Vic-20. I believe it's the only known copy.

Edited by cvga
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

I really don't know what I have that's "rare." I have a Vectrex; I suppose that's rare these days. I have Radiant Silvergun on the Saturn; I suppose that's kinda rare. I don't know that I really go out of my way to think about my collection in that sense. I'm happy to buy Japanese stand ins for rare US games or replacement boxes for games that go for out of control prices.