IGNORED

Where did you mount your SOPHIA DVI out?

SS

If you have a SOPHIA board in your XL, where did you drill the hole for the DVI out?  Specifically, I am trying to determine where there might be room for it without having to also remove the RF modulator.  I am thinking of getting a second SOPHIA to install this time in an 800XL.  I previously put one into a 600XL but ran into difficulty when attempting to remove the RF modulator in that machine, so I would like to avoid that problem again if possible.  I eventually put the DVI out over top of the PBI slot in the 600XL but would rather a different spot in this new machine if I can.  

Looking for some good advice with pictures if possible.  Thanks.

Here's my 600XL placement :

20190924_204409.jpg

20190924_204419.jpg

I installed mine in a 1200XL and removed the RF modulator to make room for it.  I was never ever going to use the RF modulator.

TBH, I regret buying the DVI version, as I have to use computer speakers instead of the TV speakers.  JMO, but I think the RGB Sophia is a better use case if you're connecting to a TV.

I'm going to mount mine in a 1200XL instead of the RF modulator, as I won't use NTSC video in PAL-land. I used the RF "hole" for a 3,5mm stereo jack on the other 1200XL with a self-printed "plug" to bridge the different diameter and might repeat that on the next one.

8 hours ago, Colleton said:

I regret buying the DVI version, as I have to use computer speakers instead of the TV speakers.

My two TVs have a 3.5mm audio input jack so I just run a cable from the audio out that I installed on my XL to the TV.  Then I don't have to use a separate pair of external speakers, just a second cord.  

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 1:48 AM, SS said:

I previously put one into a 600XL but ran into difficulty when attempting to remove the RF modulator in that machine, so I would like to avoid that problem again if possible.

Get a more powerful iron or a tip with better thermal mass. The RF modulator is relatively useless and if you're going to modify the back of the machine by fitting a DVI connector and headphone jack anyway, the site of the RF modulator is the optimal place to do it.

Things aren't quite so straightforward on the XE since the composite video signal depends on the presence of the RF modulator, but one could always stick a UAV in there as well to take care of that problem.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Get a more powerful iron or a tip with better thermal mass.

Is it really just as easy as desoldering the connections that hold the modulator to the motherboard and clipping the four wires?  Because once I removed the modulator box, I could not get any audio off of the board at all, even after I soldered a wire directly to the audio line on the bottom of the board like Nir suggested to me.  Maybe I damaged the board in some way because I started trying the removal process with an older, lower wattage soldering iron?  Or maybe I damaged the trace somewhere on the board at some point because working on this board really was a huge learning process all along the way during this project.  Either way, I'm not quite sure where I went wrong so I'm somewhat nervous about trying it again.  

depends on which model Atari and if you wish to still have composite out on the monitor jack... modulator removal isn't always the way to roll.

I've seen cutting disks used in the tab areas and then follow up with the iron etc etc... it takes a fair amount of heat to get them out otherwise as the shielded box is a massive heat sink.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Today I had an idea for an alternate Sophia mount. A 3d printed block that would go onto the PBI and have a properly sized and placed point to attach the DVI plug out the rear of the computer. Sure it would not look as pretty or seamless but it would not require modding/altering the case at all. Would need some way to affirm it in place so that it would not pull out the back. Could just be a simple 3d printed bracket to press against the inside of the case. Finally the PBI would be of use! :)

In my 800XL I mounted mine where the RF modulator used to live, and used the 3-4 channel switch hole to mount the 3.5mm jack from Stereo Pokey. Took my sweet time doing it, and to my eye it looks great. In fact I've started enjoying modifying my machines as much as using them, in the "it's a journey, not a destination" way.

Removing the RF modulator really is all about enough heat mass and a good solder sucker if you don't want to get fancy with heat guns, etc.